PDA

View Full Version : ECC 'issues'

nick
Friday 11th December 2009, 20:54
Hello all,

i've just had an aircon re-gas and no leaks (checked with the dye / UV light) after a week.

however,

the compressor doesn't kick in at all and there is no audible 'click' from inside the ECC unit. the garage said that there is no live feed to the compressor (?) and i occasionally get the 2x orange flashing lights of doom....

also, the passenger side vents always blow warm irrespective of the temp setting on that temp dial

my question is - does this sound like a knackered ECC ?

does anyone have a known working version for sale ? (or know of anyone who may have)

it would be nice to swap one over to test it first i guess but i would need someone who has a spare one who is prepared to let me fit it and try (local to me would be ace)

as a bit of a novice at these things - do you remove the radio then push the ECC out from the back (i assume there will be some electrical connections to remove too) ?

sorry for the long post - i'm a bit stuck as to what to do

Flatout Phil
Friday 11th December 2009, 20:58
So when the aircon switch is in the ON position and you get your head as near as is safe to the compressor, you do not get a periodic click as the thing engages the aircon clutch?

nick
Friday 11th December 2009, 21:01
no, nothing at all

Flatout Phil
Friday 11th December 2009, 21:13
Try this link:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3949

Or this one:

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/2009/03/20/volvo-air-conditioning-problems-and-fixes/

nick
Friday 11th December 2009, 21:40
thanks for that. had a good read through - i need to clean the air temp sensor fans i think (as a matter of course) but i'm not really sure that's gonna cure the lack of compressor action....we will see :)

does a working ECC make a faint click when the aircon is switched on ?

nobananas
Friday 11th December 2009, 22:32
Could be a faulty pressure switch. One is located on the air con pipe by the bulkhead which should have two wires going to it. If you disconnect it and then bridge the wires together (a small split pin is handy) it will overide the switch. If the a/c kicks in then chances are that's the problem. There should also be a relay that feeds the compressor, might be worth checking that that's working too.

nick
Friday 11th December 2009, 22:40
thanks for that - something to try in the morning.

where will the relay be located ?

cameron
Friday 11th December 2009, 23:00
Just a thought buddy but have you replaced the control module thingy itself ?

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/climate.jpg

Replaced my one as the lights of doom were flashing.

All was fine until one of the motors that alter the air flow broke :grumpy:

nick
Friday 11th December 2009, 23:04
not replaced that yet - i really would like to try a known working version in my car just to eliminate that from the problem

i need to find one to borrow or buy one i suppose - anyone have a spare knocking about ?

cameron
Friday 11th December 2009, 23:04
£20 from a good breaker ;)

Try Nads and deffo Readview as thats were i got my one from :B_thumb:

Dead easy to change out as well, Pull the stereo out and put your hand up the back of the control module and push it forwards out of the hole in the dash, replacing is just the reverse, 2 minute job :D

nick
Friday 11th December 2009, 23:14
i think the A/C relay is behind the glove box by the fan - is this correct ?

cameron
Friday 11th December 2009, 23:23
Pass mate, really no idea :sorry:

You have a PM :B_thumb:

nick
Saturday 12th December 2009, 11:34
checked the relay (behind the glovebox) that is OK

bypassed the low pressure switch in the engine bay and hey presto - the compressor kicks in, engine revs rise and coldish air comes out of the vents (difficult to tell how cold as its only 3deg C here at the moment) :biggrin:

it doesn't cycle though which i suppose is a function of the switch itself and when bypassed it won't do much (here's hoping).

so, question now is....can i replace the low pressure switch whilst the system is gassed or does it need a de-gas before replacing ???

anyone ?

orse
Saturday 12th December 2009, 16:53
Yeah you can mate.Unplug the connector and just unscrew it.It has a tyre schrader valve on the pipe so no gas comes out.Have a pick or screwdriver handy incase it is stuck open though

nick
Sunday 13th December 2009, 15:39
cheers for that - it'll save a trip to the garage !!.