PDA

View Full Version : Choosing one or the other - iPod interface

Libra
Friday 11th December 2009, 13:44
When I am playing CD's they play fine, but when I come to a bend or I clip a drain on the inside of a roundabout the CD will momentarily skip play. A friend of mine heard it do this and he said it could be the slot loading mechanism could be worn. So is this part serviceable at all?

I think I might just purchase one of the two ipod connection units, either imiv or USAspec PA11-Vol (the one that works without sat nav on the HU 803).

So which one. I have searched and read lots of threads on here and VOC and I cannot work out which one is best for my set-up and why might you choose the IMIV over the PA11-Vol (or visa-versa). Depending on which one is best, where the the best, cheapest place to order one from as both units come from the other side of the pond.

Thanks
Darren

P.S. I have seen the fitting instructions for fitting these units and that has put me off a tad, so if anyone would be willing to help me fit the item I would be very grateful.

Al115
Friday 11th December 2009, 17:27
I am currently fitting a PA11-VOL to my S40. Will let you know how I get on...

Jaseb77
Saturday 12th December 2009, 00:13
I'd recommend the USA-SPEC, once you figure out how to remove the HU stereo, "its simples". the ECC panel is a bugger to get out, until you get the knack of it.

mine cost about < £100 all in shipped from US Ebay seller, sent as a gift no import tax

mikouk
Saturday 12th December 2009, 10:46
I'd recommend the USA-SPEC, once you figure out how to remove the HU stereo, "its simples". the ECC panel is a bugger to get out, until you get the knack of it.

Me too. I fitted this one and it works brilliantly. I use it every day. Haven't used the cd player for ages. It also charges the iphone at the same time.

Al115
Saturday 12th December 2009, 14:21
On the other hand, mine's wired up and doesn't work. I wonder if it doesn't like my 3GS...?

roy chu
Tuesday 15th December 2009, 22:16
Hi guys, I fitted a PA11 to me S60 in March 08, the fitment was carried out by Phil Whitakers Cars, in Beacs.

It allowed me 6 folders of 99 tracks as my stereo unit was a HU850 on a 2005 model. I had it connected with a 3rd Generation 8gb nano ipod, which was excellent. The only downside is the limitation of splitting up my music.

I am not sure what the procedures and limitations are for your volvos, but if you have the ability to search more than 6 folders I say go for it.

Anyway due to my limitation I order a Sensolutions IMIV with video playback as I can utilise the RTI screen. This is much better for me as I can utilise 99 folders of 99 tracks.

Anyway in a nutshell, I have a PA11 going if anyone is interested, £40 plus delivery, I have the box and instructions.

Coming away from that, if your stereo can display text then the IMIV would be good as it looks good on the stereo, if this is not important then I think this would be a nice bargain for someone, this has bearly been used, was in my car for about 6 months until I got 'The Car Hi Fi Centre' in Cheltenham to fit my IMIV.

On another point they PA11 system had problems with poor quality audio resulting in interference, but they have sorted this now as I bought a unit after they had corrected this error.

Another great thing of the IMIV is that if you have a screen you can have future prospects of a rear camera, and has auxilary audio for phono connections, maybe someone wants to use a laptop to play music or anything that can play audio, utilising adaptors from a 2.5mm or 3.5mm to phono.... just another option to have in the event a passenger wants you to check out some tunes on their device.

I must also add, that the PA11 also has this auxilary option as well, so whichever you may choose, the option is there.

When it comes down to it, depending on the car the only differences are, folder limitation, Text, Video Input.

Good luck on your decision.

I forgot to add, mine is for,

01 - 06 S60, S70, V70, S80, XC70, not sure why it says S70, but its on there
01 - 04 S40, V40
01 - 05 C70

As for the disc skipping I have found it to do that when the car is cold, but once warmed up its ok. Not sure if having a stiff suspension would effect the impact of the shock system, it might be working harder I guess. I still got it when I had my stereo sent off for a complete new fitting of a 6 disc internal changer unit.

When I get time, its worth just checking all the connections which that might be a possibility. OK thats enough from me, apologies about the long windedness

Libra
Tuesday 22nd December 2009, 09:54
Hi guys, I fitted a PA11 to me S60 in March 08, the fitment was carried out by Phil Whitakers Cars, in Beacs.

It allowed me 6 folders of 99 tracks as my stereo unit was a HU850 on a 2005 model. I had it connected with a 3rd Generation 8gb nano ipod, which was excellent. The only downside is the limitation of splitting up my music.

I am not sure what the procedures and limitations are for your volvos, but if you have the ability to search more than 6 folders I say go for it.

Anyway due to my limitation I order a Sensolutions IMIV with video playback as I can utilise the RTI screen. This is much better for me as I can utilise 99 folders of 99 tracks.

Anyway in a nutshell, I have a PA11 going if anyone is interested, £40 plus delivery, I have the box and instructions.

Coming away from that, if your stereo can display text then the IMIV would be good as it looks good on the stereo, if this is not important then I think this would be a nice bargain for someone, this has bearly been used, was in my car for about 6 months until I got 'The Car Hi Fi Centre' in Cheltenham to fit my IMIV.

On another point they PA11 system had problems with poor quality audio resulting in interference, but they have sorted this now as I bought a unit after they had corrected this error.

Another great thing of the IMIV is that if you have a screen you can have future prospects of a rear camera, and has auxilary audio for phono connections, maybe someone wants to use a laptop to play music or anything that can play audio, utilising adaptors from a 2.5mm or 3.5mm to phono.... just another option to have in the event a passenger wants you to check out some tunes on their device.

I must also add, that the PA11 also has this auxilary option as well, so whichever you may choose, the option is there.

When it comes down to it, depending on the car the only differences are, folder limitation, Text, Video Input.

Good luck on your decision.

I forgot to add, mine is for,

01 - 06 S60, S70, V70, S80, XC70, not sure why it says S70, but its on there
01 - 04 S40, V40
01 - 05 C70

As for the disc skipping I have found it to do that when the car is cold, but once warmed up its ok. Not sure if having a stiff suspension would effect the impact of the shock system, it might be working harder I guess. I still got it when I had my stereo sent off for a complete new fitting of a 6 disc internal changer unit.

When I get time, its worth just checking all the connections which that might be a possibility. OK thats enough from me, apologies about the long windedness

Thanks for that speach/essay. Am I right in saying that the IMIV is a slightly better unit than the PA11-VOL in that it has better options and the sound quality is better?

All I want to know really, is can both units be used without RTi/TV HU803?