PDA

View Full Version : auto transmission fault

T5frankie
Thursday 10th December 2009, 19:15
I have recentlt purchased an 850 t5 estate really nice it is and test drove lovely now ive had it all but 3 days its developed a problem. when cold it doesnt want to change up through the gears, now this morning when engine nice and hot the auto gearbox arrow started flashing indicating a problem even though it semmed to run ok. any thoughts?

C70 GTT5
Thursday 10th December 2009, 19:33
check the gearbox oil level might be low, if not i dont no but bet its low oil (hopefully)

T5ER
Thursday 10th December 2009, 19:43
probably needs a fluid flush and change mate, get the codes read to see what it throws up

5seaterT5x2
Thursday 10th December 2009, 19:47
I have recentlt purchased an 850 t5 estate really nice it is and test drove lovely now ive had it all but 3 days its developed a problem. when cold it doesnt want to change up through the gears, now this morning when engine nice and hot the auto gearbox arrow started flashing indicating a problem even though it semmed to run ok. any thoughts?

what year is it? pre 96? the gizmo under the bonnet behind the drivers headlight by the washer bottle filler read the codes it maybe the pnp switch or something but also check the fluid tis really quite critical on these hopefully it wont smell burnt or anything and it's a nice cherry red. but read the codes if you can first

T5ER
Thursday 10th December 2009, 19:48
the plug pin test and flashes a led to give you a fault code post up what it flashes if you have this system

T5frankie
Thursday 10th December 2009, 20:30
I did smell an oily burning smell, why?

5seaterT5x2
Thursday 10th December 2009, 23:32
I did smell an oily burning smell, why?

burnt smell on the deipstick for the auto trans fluid is not a great sign, but maybe just a decent flush/replacement of fluid with of course the right stuff might well cure the problem, but getting the fault codes read is a good plan, what year is the car???

T5ER
Friday 11th December 2009, 08:48
deffo will need a flush and change if it smells burnt, it is the best idea/option to ise genuine volvo atf though if and when you decide to do it

T5frankie
Friday 11th December 2009, 17:17
burnt smell on the deipstick for the auto trans fluid is not a great sign, but maybe just a decent flush/replacement of fluid with of course the right stuff might well cure the problem, but getting the fault codes read is a good plan, what year is the car???

its a 94 mate and the light went out today

Porcine_Aviator
Friday 11th December 2009, 20:07
If it smells burnt change the fluid don't try and run it to far without a change. I don't want to scare you but a recon box can cost you up to and even over £2,000.

The recon guys have it made, one I know of used to say £1750 without even looking under the bonnet, or listening to it.

I bought a second hand box for Christine and the guy took three months to deliver it, so if you go down that route make sure it's a genuine company you buy from.

The only other thing I can say is if you bought sold as seen you have no come back on the seller. You have a choice of spend a bit on it and get a secondhand box or put it on eBay saying that there's a gearbox problem. You might get some money back, and then buy another one that's in better nick.

Sorry to be so down on the car, but as the saying goes once bitten twice shy. And after more than 12 months of trouble with Christine, I wouldn't wish the same on anyone.

T5ER
Friday 11th December 2009, 20:11
but even sold as seen you have comeback if the vehicle is as not described in the advert as it classed as fraudulant and also being dishonest, remember ebay is still a legally binding contract, so there maybe some come back