PDA

View Full Version : mr2 turbo from 2004, non volvo, but quite spectacular

Ross9
Monday 13th June 2005, 17:33
Found these old vids from early 2004 of a mates mr2 turbo

Skyline in the first vid is rwd and approx 350-400 bhp (its now been developed to 650ish and runs 11.0 @ 128 mph so far)

mr2 is approx 650-700 bhp

Heres one taken from inside a tuned Lexus Soarer 3.0 TT (supra engine)

Soarer TT vs mr2 (http://www.miktec.co.uk/andytt.v.mr2.720.bhp.wmv)

and heres one I took from inside the mr2 racing the skyline, watch for me whacking my head off the roll cage when it launches and bogs down lol

mr2 vs Skyline GTS (http://www.asnail99.co.uk/video/Crailmax.wmv )

as I said Skyline now runs 11.0 @ 126, and will do 10's at totb, mr2 best so far is 10.9 @ 12x and should run faster this year with suspension mods. Bonkers cars.

Not sure if I've posted these before on other volvo forums or not, hope you enjoy.

dave
Monday 13th June 2005, 19:34
wicked vids

was the mr2 wheel spining at top end of 2nd?

very fast machine, see when the guy in the skyline says something to you at of that run, "that was........", let me guess "that was f**king fast!", am i right?

dave

Ross9
Tuesday 14th June 2005, 21:05
nah, he says "that was close" cause Jav only just caught him, if you look closely you can just see Jacq in the skylines passenger seat briefly too, bit of fame lol.

Skyline is much more bonkers these days, I went out with marc on the road at 1.5 bar and full gas, and it wheelspins in 4th at 120 on road tyres.

The mr2 would actually slither in all gears Dave, on one occasion I was in it it started to turn at 120+mph as we crossed the line and he just kept the boot in and steered into it lol. SHould be sorted out this year though. cant really explain how fast these cars are, vids give some idea, but to believe it you've got to feel it, the mr2 actually lifts jacq off the seat when it comes on boost cause she's small, she has to hold on to the seat to keep her bum down.

Ross

V8guitar
Wednesday 15th June 2005, 15:39
The vids looked fast, so in real life I can believe they are quick.

Presumably the skyline is "just" a GTS or GT-T if its RWD ?

Not a big fan of MR2's but you got to admire that sort of performance...to get 650 BHP must have some silly mods....any details ? Is it the original engine ? They are only 2ltr aren't they ?

650 BHP in a car that small.....phew!

Ross9
Wednesday 15th June 2005, 22:04
Yes the Skyline is an R33 GTS, still runs a 2.5 litre bottom end, no overboring or lenghtening the stroke, no changing to the RB26 bottom end etc. Marc wanted to prove you could make a very fast and powerful GTS without changing the bottom end etc, though obviously it does have stronger pistons and lots of other stuff, as I said it is now sitting about 300 bhp more than it was in that vid, and itself runs 11.0 @ 126mph so far this year.

We dont know the full spec of the mr2, it was bought in from japan with the engine already done, RR @ just over 600 bhp at 1.4 bar with a cracked turbo. Turbo was sorted, car serviced, and on the run where I take the vid in car, it peaked at 2.1 bar boost lol, so cant be far off 700 lol. As far as I know its still a 2.0 16v turbo, perhaps been stroked out to 2.1/2.2 but nothing major. revs to 8500-9000rpm , no real power till 5000 as you see when it bogs down, HUGE T88 turbo, fuel cell instead of normal tank etc.

Glad you liked

Ross