PDA

View Full Version : red stuff pads

leet5r
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 17:39
any 1 had any experence with these

T5ER
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 17:40

iirc fast road/race competition pads take a while to warm up, i may stand corrected though lol

leet5r
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 17:42
iirc fast road/race competition pads take a while to warm up, i may stand corrected though lol

it says cold braken is just the same , but av been told that , am unsure what pads to get for my car ,cheers

PaulZX
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 17:52
http://www.potn.co.uk/blog/2009/11/have-ebc-brakes-discovered-the-secret-of-high-performance/ that link has some basic info on pads, and what the colours mean...

T5ER
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 17:53
siamblue had porsche caliper set up on his hmmmmmmm, i think red stuff have higher fade temps over standard green stuff and yellowstuff pads. If the cold braking is the same mate then go for them mate, have you looked into mintex pads aswell

leet5r
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 17:59
siamblue had porsche caliper set up on his hmmmmmmm, i think red stuff have higher fade temps over standard green stuff and yellowstuff pads. If the cold braking is the same mate then go for them mate, have you looked into mintex pads aswell

had mintex on a rs2000 and it could out run uk spec imprezas like, so a like them a lot . where will i get some from

T5ER
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 18:03
demon tweeks ???? tbh i have been away from upgrading and so on for ages so a bit lost now

shrekblackR
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 18:05
hi mate i have these on my rears and i find them great , no probs at all buddy but dont know how good they will be on the front as ive got mintex on ,

leet5r
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 18:20
hi mate i have these on my rears and i find them great , no probs at all buddy but dont know how good they will be on the front as ive got mintex on ,

am a bit worried about the cold braking bit lol . where did you get the mintex 1s and are they a performance pad or just replacement part cheers

T5ER
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 18:29
see here lee but i guess you may have allready read about it

http://www.potn.co.uk/ebc-pads_c2918_39_116.htm
hope its some help

PaulZX
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 18:32
Mintex all round on my T5.... under heavy breaking, you can actually feel your nose grow....

smithy
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 18:38

ive had green stuff no good at all so went and got red stuff which are ceramic based which where better if used with slotted discs but not as good as ds2500 feredos.but my recomendation is mintex performance pads

T5ER
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 18:41
there the ones i was thinking of those ds pads could not remember the make lol

leet5r
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 18:41
ive had green stuff no good at all so went and got red stuff which are ceramic based which where better if used with slotted discs but not as good as ds2500 feredos.but my recomendation is mintex performance pads

where can i get these mintex pads from smithy lad, the feredos are a bit expensive

smithy
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 19:08
where can i get these mintex pads from smithy lad, the feredos are a bit expensive

check on net sites the will be someone who deals with them also check euro car parts i think they do them .but someone might be able to point you in the right direction on here

leet5r
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 19:12
check on net sites the will be someone who deals with them also check euro car parts i think they do them .but someone might be able to point you in the right direction on here

cheers pal

T5ER
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 19:26
lee just check this thread out maybe helpfull mate

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12372&highlight=ferodo

sebasteeno
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 19:56
Ive had OMP fast road and race on a couple of my Alfas and would fully recommend them and probably cheaper than the red stuff

Linky (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OMP-Front-Rear-Brake-Pads-VOLVO-850-T5-TURBO-91-97_W0QQitemZ350238997723QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars Parts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item518bdefcdb)

leet5r
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 20:00
lee just check this thread out maybe helpfull mate

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12372&highlight=ferodo

a cant justify payin that much for pads m8 when red stuff are a third of the price and a cant find the mintex 1s anywhere

leet5r
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 20:04
Ive had OMP fast road and race on a couple of my Alfas and would fully recommend them and probably cheaper than the red stuff

Linky (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OMP-Front-Rear-Brake-Pads-VOLVO-850-T5-TURBO-91-97_W0QQitemZ350238997723QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars Parts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item518bdefcdb)

a had the mintex on a few cars and like them a lot but is will to try something new ( keep it clean please lol) and will try the red stuff , but these seem to be a good pad , the volvos a lot lighter than the alfas like lol so need something that will work well all round not just when hot.
the ds2500 are a few quid like so a dont think it will be them like cheers

T5ER
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 20:37
red stuff then mate

hellraiser
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 21:30
hello, had red stuff pads all round on my rover 620ti they were crap when cold, but when they warmed up they were the bizz! I used them with the ebc grooved discs as well.
When I say crap when cold I mean it lol :redface:

leet5r
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 22:45
hello, had red stuff pads all round on my rover 620ti they were crap when cold, but when they warmed up they were the bizz! I used them with the ebc grooved discs as well.
When I say crap when cold I mean it lol :redface:

how bad is bad like m8

cameron
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 22:50
Mintex are good pads, had them on my old T5

Mintex Pads for £29 all in (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-850-2-BRAKE-PADS-MINTEX-SET-NEW-BOXED_W0QQitemZ180434241972QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C arsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2a02b809b4)

T5ER
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 22:51
mintex or ap pads seem to be the preffered choice as did the ferodo`s, but as you say its the price, but that said it is the braking system maybe worth a bit more money to be spent on them

cameron
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 22:53
First thing i'm doing after getting the head gasket done is the big brake conversion to the 302mm's, probably with either Mintex pads or the Ferrodo ds2500's.

Not sure yet tbh.

Gouldy
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 22:56
i have these on my skyline, they are no different when cold, and when you really jam them on they work great, just make sure you have a good amount left on your discs. i would recommend them, apparently they leave less brake dust than mintex too IIRC

T5ER
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 22:57
think iirc somebody did a 365mm ap conversion lol ££££ing dustbin lid discs

siamblue
Wednesday 9th December 2009, 02:46
What grade of Mintex pads are you guys talking about? i have 1133 on my car at the moment and they do work but not as good as i would like them too, i have a set of DS2500's and a set of 1155 to try out as well, but the latter have a lot of metallic compound being race pads so a bit wary about them,

Gary

smithy
Wednesday 9th December 2009, 07:01
What grade of Mintex pads are you guys talking about? i have 1133 on my car at the moment and they do work but not as good as i would like them too, i have a set of DS2500's and a set of 1155 to try out as well, but the latter have a lot of metallic compound being race pads so a bit wary about them,

Gary

i had ds2500 pads on my v70 and they where brillant but were pricy but they did last for ages until my car got smashed so we took the brake calipers and pads of my v70 and put them on sidneys car and he ran them for ages till he sold the car i think

leet5r
Wednesday 9th December 2009, 08:44
i have these on my skyline, they are no different when cold, and when you really jam them on they work great, just make sure you have a good amount left on your discs. i would recommend them, apparently they leave less brake dust than mintex too IIRC

which pads were them then , the red stuff

leet5r
Wednesday 9th December 2009, 08:45

Gary

1144s m8 or pos 1155s not sure yet as i cant seem to find any

Gouldy
Wednesday 9th December 2009, 10:38
yes i was on about red stuff! Good pads

siamblue
Wednesday 9th December 2009, 12:58
1144s m8 or pos 1155s not sure yet as i cant seem to find any

Well i just took a look at the Mintex box in the shed and it says 1177 ooops, think they will be staying in the shed and the DS2500's will be coming out,

Gary.

PS I wouldn't touch any EBC product wether pads or discs.

Gouldy
Wednesday 9th December 2009, 13:36
why's that? I don't see many problem's on any forum's

Volvostorm
Wednesday 9th December 2009, 13:49
Anybody tried the Black Diamond Predator pads? They seem good value

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=575464

leet5r
Wednesday 9th December 2009, 16:50
Well i just took a look at the Mintex box in the shed and it says 1177 ooops, think they will be staying in the shed and the DS2500's will be coming out,

Gary.

PS I wouldn't touch any EBC product wether pads or discs.

whats wrong with the ebc stuff like m8

irf
Wednesday 9th December 2009, 18:06
EBC greenstuff - on my old car which was lighter then the volvo, i would get fade from the first high speed stop i'd try! in other words, going about 100, brake hard, by the time the car got to 60 i could feel it fading!!

EBC grooved discs - same car as above, first trackday at brands, wasn't that hard on brakes and it was only an afternoon session, discs ended up being warped.

EBC yellowstuff - heard good things about these on other forums but i think they struggle with heavier cars.

EBC redstuff - not logical but i don't trust them. heard from various people about a dead feeling pedal and eating discs.

personally on the volvo i'd stick with genuine discs and depending on your requirements get pads to suit.

if budget is low just go with OEM, think they're about 30-40 quid from rufe. done an airfield trackday at marham with 302s but volvo OEM, yes i got fade but it was manageable and it involved stops from 150+ so no surprise really.

after that i'd get some proper pads. as said before i done 11 laps of the ring with good pads and volvo 302 discs, no fade, no warping just consistent braking.

in the above case the pads were dixcel type Z pads but i'd also go with pagid RS4 or carbotech xp-8s or 10s. got the xp-8s right now on my BBK.

leet5r
Wednesday 9th December 2009, 18:37
EBC greenstuff - on my old car which was lighter then the volvo, i would get fade from the first high speed stop i'd try! in other words, going about 100, brake hard, by the time the car got to 60 i could feel it fading!!

EBC grooved discs - same car as above, first trackday at brands, wasn't that hard on brakes and it was only an afternoon session, discs ended up being warped.

EBC yellowstuff - heard good things about these on other forums but i think they struggle with heavier cars.

EBC redstuff - not logical but i don't trust them. heard from various people about a dead feeling pedal and eating discs.

personally on the volvo i'd stick with genuine discs and depending on your requirements get pads to suit.

if budget is low just go with OEM, think they're about 30-40 quid from rufe. done an airfield trackday at marham with 302s but volvo OEM, yes i got fade but it was manageable and it involved stops from 150+ so no surprise really.

after that i'd get some proper pads. as said before i done 11 laps of the ring with good pads and volvo 302 discs, no fade, no warping just consistent braking.

in the above case the pads were dixcel type Z pads but i'd also go with pagid RS4 or carbotech xp-8s or 10s. got the xp-8s right now on my BBK.

where can i get any of these from as i have heard bad things about the red stuff m8 cheers

irf
Wednesday 9th December 2009, 18:52
Which ones are you after and whats your budget?

leet5r
Wednesday 9th December 2009, 18:59
Which ones are you after and whats your budget?

50 to 60 quid m8 but i will spend more if i know they are good . am after a performance pad to go ith some groved 302mm disks and some braided flexies m8 cheers

C70 GTT5
Wednesday 9th December 2009, 19:07
umm yellow stuff pads a must for the future, i learnt to drive with drum brakes all round so cold braking will not bother me.......Learn to be one with the car ;)

leet5r
Wednesday 9th December 2009, 19:15
umm yellow stuff pads a must for the future, i learnt to drive with drum brakes all round so cold braking will not bother me.......Learn to be one with the car ;)

the car has to learn to be 1 with me lol . yellow stuff are just for track use a think m8

irf
Wednesday 9th December 2009, 19:18
50 to 60 quid m8 but i will spend more if i know they are good . am after a performance pad to go ith some groved 302mm disks and some braided flexies m8 cheers

i'd probably just get volvo pads tbh. up the budget to about 120 odd and you can get ferodo ds2500s which i used on an old car to good effect but not on the volvo. i wouldn't use anything in between but that's just me.

i'd also forget the grooved discs unless you just want brakes to look good. as already said in my previous post the volvo discs are good.

leet5r
Wednesday 9th December 2009, 19:21
i'd probably just get volvo pads tbh. up the budget to about 120 odd and you can get ferodo ds2500s which i used on an old car to good effect but not on the volvo. i wouldn't use anything in between but that's just me.

i'd also forget the grooved discs unless you just want brakes to look good. as already said in my previous post the volvo discs are good.

haha cheers pal av heard lots about these ds2500, are they that good like m8. av been lookin at omp stuff aswell

irf
Wednesday 9th December 2009, 19:28
only had the ds2500s on my previous car which was probably 2-300kg lighter then the volvo and i had bigger discs on that as well - 315mm discs on a 1250kg car. they were fine on that car, no idea on the volvo.

C70 GTT5
Wednesday 9th December 2009, 19:36
the car has to learn to be 1 with me lol . yellow stuff are just for track use a think m8yes but if you do track days an road use whats the harm, an you no when your pushing it on a semi-proffesional rally they wont fade ;)

leet5r
Wednesday 9th December 2009, 19:38
yes but if you do track days an road use whats the harm, an you no when your pushing it on a semi-proffesional rally they wont fade ;)

a wouldnt mind taking your route to work then lol . take to long to warm up

C70 GTT5
Wednesday 9th December 2009, 19:47
a wouldnt mind taking your route to work then lol . take to long to warm upyeah its wicked :cool: traffic i can see them being trouble

leet5r
Wednesday 9th December 2009, 19:49

where can i get these type z pads as i drive like a tosser m8 lol

irf
Wednesday 9th December 2009, 19:57
where can i get these type z pads as i drive like a tosser m8 lol

http://www.dmsracingltd.co.uk/

not cheap though, think i paid either £160 or 180, i always forget. at the time afaik i was the only person with those pads on a volvo in the uk at least. T5-Tez runs them now and seems to be happy with them.

at the time i bought them they were offering some kind of guarantee on some jap cars if you bought the discs and pads against any kind of fade. not sure how it worked but it was there.

leet5r
Wednesday 9th December 2009, 20:03
http://www.dmsracingltd.co.uk/

not cheap though, think i paid either £160 or 180, i always forget. at the time afaik i was the only person with those pads on a volvo in the uk at least. T5-Tez runs them now and seems to be happy with them.

at the time i bought them they were offering some kind of guarantee on some jap cars if you bought the discs and pads against any kind of fade. not sure how it worked but it was there.

very good but way over my budget like m8 , a was goin to use the red stuff . my m8 has green stuff on his 4x4 cossie and there good like. av looked at omp , every thing else seems to be way over budget like . a had mintex 1144s on an old car and liked them but cant fimd them anywhere , so a stuck m8 and need help lol

Yosser
Wednesday 9th December 2009, 20:29
Just spotted this thread.

I think irf has probably covered all the bases, he has more experience of brake pad compounds and hard use than I do - but I can tell you I put redstuff on my car and they were that good I took them off and gave them away. I'm running DS2500 up front just now and they're much better.

When they wear out I'll most likely go Carbotech.

The Volvo genuine pads do seem to get a good reputation as well.

leet5r
Wednesday 9th December 2009, 20:35
Just spotted this thread.

I think irf has probably covered all the bases, he has more experience of brake pad compounds and hard use than I do - but I can tell you I put redstuff on my car and they were that good I took them off and gave them away. I'm running DS2500 up front just now and they're much better.

When they wear out I'll most likely go Carbotech.

The Volvo genuine pads do seem to get a good reputation as well.

cheers lads a goin to price up a oem disk and pad combo before a order anything now like

skirmish998
Sunday 13th December 2009, 17:10
I managed to get some yellow stuff pads for an absolute bargain so had a full set fitted on my t5. I have goodridge hoses and standard sized discs too. I don't have much of an issue with cold braking as where ever i go i always give the car and all its bits and pieces time to warm up and never dive on the brakes till they've had a good couple of miles on them. I live in a town called Basingstoke which is roundabout central so i easily get time to warm them up where ever i go. but when i do hit the anchors there is a very strong bite and a consistent use throughout the use and i can't say i have experience much in the way of fade. i haven't done any track work with them but fast a/b roads don't show up any issues. I need to upgrade the bouncy bits to really feel the full benefits

ikp_77
Sunday 13th December 2009, 22:44
got them on my s70 r front and back they great when warm drilled and grooved discs front and back

Jod T5
Monday 14th December 2009, 13:25
I have run both DS2500 and Volvo Police spec pads on my 850 with 302mm discs and the Police spec pads are IMO far better...They are both fairly impressive on bite, the Ds's appearing to like a little more warming but it is the fade (or lack of it) that really impressed me about the Police spec...

The Police specs are about £35 from Simon iirc....

Also the DS's are illegal on cars made after 2000 ....

I think that normal road use Vs price the Policy Spec will be difficult to beat..., but its each to their own...

Jod

turbo-tuner
Monday 14th December 2009, 13:50
I had Redstuff on my 850R and they were a big pile of poo. When they were new they were fine. But after some weeks of use they had zero stopping power if braking from high speed. When I say zero, I literally mean zero!!! It was like having instant brake fade. Maybe this design problem has been fixed since, but I would never use them again.

I would highly recommend Ferodo - never had any problems with them.

Mental Wealth Doctor
Monday 14th December 2009, 18:00
anyone got any experience of Tarox pads??