PDA

View Full Version : Head off again....

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 02:08
Took me 3 and a half hours to get it off, but by that time it was too late to get it skimmed today. so, am gonna get it done in the morning.

Got some piccys...

Cam cover off and cams out (note browny/orangey oil residue in the head)
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/07122009238.jpg

Head off, block and cruddy pistons
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/07122009240.jpg

Head ready for a skim after some oven cleaner and a stint over the kitchen sink. Nice and shiny
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/08122009243.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/08122009244.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/08122009246.jpg

The old head gasket looked like it hadn't sealed properly on some of the cylinders, the margin of gasket onto liner was pretty tight from what I can gather. Hopefully a skim and a genuine gasket will sort this out.

p fandango
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 16:37
thanks for the pics, i have heard you can't beat the Volvo gaskets

nobananas
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 19:09
Did any of the piston tops look excessively clean bomb where the coolant has 'steam cleaned' the crowns ?

streaky744
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 19:15
if in doubt would also make it very easy now to unbolt block and lift that out to replace clutch if you thnk that would need doing soon.

and looks like you done a nice clean up of the head, maybe would not hurt also to take the valves out clean them and re seat them for a proper going over.

Tomcat
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 20:28
Yeah I think that if I'd bothered to remove the head and clean it then I'd also re seat the valves and put new stem seals on.

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 21:35
Well, just when things couldn't get any worse..................I've gone and snapped one of the head bolts (and its stuck 2 inches down) just got to 130 degrees and 'klink', ****ed. So tomorrow I've got to get a new set (which I should have done in the first place) and another day wasted.

Spent most of today (after a little lie-in) cleaning the upper head section and the top of the block and pistons and waiting for the head to be skimmed. They did a lovely job on the skim, beautiful finish, and for £25. It was a small place with a couple of old guys (that reassured me, chances are they'd been doing it for years).

thanks for the pics, i have heard you can't beat the Volvo gaskets
It seems to fit better to the edges of the cylinders. I've had a really bad run with pattern parts lately.

Did any of the piston tops look excessively clean bomb where the coolant has 'steam cleaned' the crowns ?
The water hadn't made its way into the pistons, it was the pressure leaking out and pressurising the cooling system. No. 3 was down to 8bar and no.2 was down to 12bar instead of the 13bar the others were reaching.

if in doubt would also make it very easy now to unbolt block and lift that out to replace clutch if you thnk that would need doing soon.

and looks like you done a nice clean up of the head, maybe would not hurt also to take the valves out clean them and re seat them for a proper going over.

Money is the limiting factor unfortunately, and the lack of it just leaves me able to deal with the basics. I replaced the gearbox recently, and the clutch will last until next August (that'll be two years wear by then). I used a caustic oven cleaner to clean the head up.

Yeah I think that if I'd bothered to remove the head and clean it then I'd also re seat the valves and put new stem seals on.
To get the valves out, I need a deep valve compressor, and I haven't the money for one of those.

TBH, I've had enough of it, theres other things that need replacing too, and its all too much. So I'm gonna stick it all back together and do it another time when money and my morale is better.

Pic of the skimmed head
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/08122009247.jpg

T5ER
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 21:41
i hear dishwashers are good for cleaning car parts aswell

cameron
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 21:51
Blimey that looks a bloody good job on the skimming and only £25, absolute bargain :B_thumb:

Chin up mate you'll get there eventually ;)

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 21:53
I bloody hope so.

It looks even better when its in front of you.

All is not doom and gloom, I'm still drivin around in my dads AWD :)

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 21:54

Yeah but my mom wouldn't like it (I don't have a dishwasher at my house).

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 10th December 2009, 00:59
Well, its all back together and guess what, it won't bloody run right.

Started it up and its as rough as a Tipton lass. I was sure I got the timing marks aligned right. I'm gonna check it all over again tomorrow morning, check the plugs, hopefully its something simple I've missed.

T5ER
Thursday 10th December 2009, 08:43
hope so bomb, keep us updated matey

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 10th December 2009, 15:27
Well, I went to it this morning, took the timing belt cover off, checked the timing marks and they were spot on. So I tried to start it, and it fired straight away and was running fine!?!? Bloody thing. I'm thinking it might have been damp (it was p1ssing down) or even the immobiliser, as I locked the car using the fob, and the arm/disarm rectified the problem.

I'm a happy bunny now (except all the other problems) need to get some new tyres and get her washed, looks like I've disowned her.

streaky744
Thursday 10th December 2009, 19:55
well done on getting it all done. and see you learned that you can't cut corners when doing this sort of job. regards head bolts that is.

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 10th December 2009, 20:31
Yeah LOL, that was the second time I've had the head off, so I really should've got them in the first place (money again)

I've got a nice shiny volvo cam belt sticker on it too :biggrin:

nobananas
Thursday 10th December 2009, 21:16

That they are matey !

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m279/nobananas000/engineindishwasher.jpg

Glad you've got sorted bomb.

cameron
Thursday 10th December 2009, 22:07
Oi bomb fancy doing mine now :)

T5ER
Thursday 10th December 2009, 22:15
That they are matey !

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m279/nobananas000/engineindishwasher.jpg

Glad you've got sorted bomb.

lol pure quality, i take it the misses was out, cant remember who it was on here who put there wheels in the dish washer

Mental Wealth Doctor
Thursday 10th December 2009, 22:31
Top Job Bomb, glad to hear shes back.

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 10th December 2009, 22:33
Oi bomb fancy doing mine now :)
Yeah sure, once the mental scars of this time round have healed, I'll give it a go LOL.

cameron
Thursday 10th December 2009, 22:37
LOL i bet you would as well :B_thumb:

Bet you was sat in the corner crying last night whilst rocking back and forth, and all for nothing :D

Glad you got yours sorted buddy, hopefully i'll have the same outcome sooner rather than later.

I hate driving it knowing theres a problem which will only get worse but its unavoidable :(

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 10th December 2009, 22:47
Top Job Bomb, glad to hear shes back.
I need to get another turbo, mine seems to have developed some lateral play in the shaft.

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 10th December 2009, 23:00
LOL i bet you would as well :B_thumb:

Bet you was sat in the corner crying last night whilst rocking back and forth, and all for nothing :D

Glad you got yours sorted buddy, hopefully i'll have the same outcome sooner rather than later.

I hate driving it knowing theres a problem which will only get worse but its unavoidable :(
I got home had a pot noodle and a bottle of hobgoblin and watched TV til 2am (crap TV) pondering the 4 days its taken to sort my car out.

Hopefully theres nothing else to go wrong (but there will be, watch this space! I should start a blog)