PDA

View Full Version : Project Manual

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Jamest5r
Monday 7th December 2009, 17:50
Right then.....after wanting a manual for a while now, but with my t5r having200,000 on the clock it's not worth selling it(would never get what i wanted for it!!). So after some thought ive decided to go the whole hog and take the engine and box(whole front sub-frame)out of mine and replace with a donor.

Found a donor at Nads an ex Tim Williams car, have been in contact and it's a top engine 97k stems and pcv done and reverse i/c(for sale as i have already).

So next weekend im going to start on dropping the sub-frame ready for the transplant.

To be honest im crapping it a bit as this will be the biggest project ive done, but with the help of Smithy(he convinced me it's all going to be fine!!!!) hopefully i'll have the car i want in the new year.

Will get some photo's up at the weekend as progress starts in Nads cave.

And before anyone else(Cameron) says it, yes it's so i can beat the Mrs over a 1/4 mile when it's finished!

T5ER
Monday 7th December 2009, 18:25
lol ya mrs is quicker than you oh dear not so good pmsl

Jamest5r
Monday 7th December 2009, 18:38
lol ya mrs is quicker than you oh dear not so good pmsl

My old car...855 totally standard apart from a rica 304.....14.606, she has made many a man feel small on the strip,judgeninja for one, he ended up removing his whole interior at york last year as she beat him by 0.2 secs:bow_kneel

siamblue
Monday 7th December 2009, 18:42
Mhhhmmmmmmm I might be in Brum that weekend, picking up my Comets from Nads, mini meet?

Gary

T5ER
Monday 7th December 2009, 18:55
My old car...855 totally standard apart from a rica 304.....14.006, she has made many a man feel small on the strip,judgeninja for one, he ended up removing his whole interior at york last year as she beat him by 0.2 secs:bow_kneel

oh bet that was very funny, how is the judge aint seen him for time

Jamest5r
Monday 7th December 2009, 18:59
Mhhhmmmmmmm I might be in Brum that weekend, picking up my Comets from Nads, mini meet?

Gary

I'll be there anyway and maybe Smithy.

Jamest5r
Monday 7th December 2009, 19:00
oh bet that was very funny, how is the judge aint seen him for time

Last time i saw him too lol

streaky744
Monday 7th December 2009, 19:45
whats the hardest part of this conversion then the pedal box or gear lever mech?

Jamest5r
Monday 7th December 2009, 20:04
whats the hardest part of this conversion then the pedal box or gear lever mech?

Pedal box bolts straight in, gear lever the same, as is the selecter cables,hole already there for cluch master cylinder, i will let you know what's the hardest when ive finished, there is a thousand things to give me grief...its a volvo

See here for something similar
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=71880

cameron
Monday 7th December 2009, 20:35
judgeninja for one, he ended up removing his whole interior at york last year as she beat him

The pictures of proof :B_thumb:

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/york12.jpg

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/york13.jpg

Auto's are quicker down the quarter than manuals arent they :confused:

No pause in acceleration for gear changes ;)

And by that i mean standard Auto V's standard Manual.

cameron
Monday 7th December 2009, 21:08
Jim heres one for you :D

Manual T5R Gearbox for £100 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-850-T5-R-T5R-Manual-Gearbox_W0QQitemZ250540886706QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3a55668ab 2)

Not sure if its an M59 though.

T5ER
Monday 7th December 2009, 21:11
The pictures of proof :B_thumb:

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/york12.jpg

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/york13.jpg

Auto's are quicker down the quarter than manuals arent they :confused:

No pause in acceleration for gear changes ;)

And by that i mean standard Auto V's standard Manual.

yeah my R auto was quicker than johnny850r`s manual R, has judge got rid of his lightweight 850 then ??????????????

smithy
Monday 7th December 2009, 21:36
Jim heres one for you :D

Manual T5R Gearbox for £100 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-850-T5-R-T5R-Manual-Gearbox_W0QQitemZ250540886706QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3a55668ab 2)

Not sure if its an M59 though.

just checked its a standard m56 mate if it was an m59 box that would of been gone by now at that price lol

Jamest5r
Monday 11th January 2010, 21:57
Day 1.....

Front sub-frame out.
Gear box off.
Turbo off.

Now waiting on parts fron Rufe...3 days late because of the snow just what i need!!!

Thanks to Smithy for your help today

Thanks to Nads/Shaz for the use of your facilities

Have i got a ghost in photo no. 6?? my sub-frame is haunted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dangerous Dave
Monday 11th January 2010, 22:49
Nice one matey, hope all goes well with the swap over!

t5 pete
Monday 11th January 2010, 22:56
I look forward to seeing both the cars at york what set up will both have

danny-R
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 09:42
good luck with this james, how much are you wanting for r.i.p?
pm me if you like. i have reversed pipework but it's just a home made effort, any pics?

cheers

Tomcat
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 10:18
Good luck with it, hope it all works out ok for you.

linkin582
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 11:12
good luck !!!! lots of work to be done by the look of things !!!!!

Jamest5r
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 18:57
Day 2....
Forgot camera!!
New parts arrived from Rufe!!!

Fitted M59 box and new r clutch
Inlet and outlet manifolds off(me7 on tommorrow)
New gaitors fitted to driveshafts and refitted to box
Lots of little jobs i won't bore you with.

Danny r, will take some photo's tommorow your first in the queue mate but to be honest it probably wont be any different to what you got.

15g for sale good condition,£60 or with blanking plate £75

t5 pete
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 19:00
Hello james are you using the me7 inlet manifold if so what you doing about the throttle housing

p fandango
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 19:05
Hello james are you using the me7 inlet manifold if so what you doing about the throttle housing
the ports are a different shape on the ME7 inlet, you'll need a couple ME7 head

to fit a throttle body onto my ME7 manifold i'm going to get a small 3" tube with a flange the same shape as the ETM one end, & the throttle body flange on the other

danny-R
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 19:05
Day 2....
Forgot camera!!
New parts arrived from Rufe!!!

Fitted M59 box and new r clutch
Inlet and outlet manifolds off(me7 on tommorrow)
New gaitors fitted to driveshafts and refitted to box
Lots of little jobs i won't bore you with.

Danny r, will take some photo's tommorow your first in the queue mate but to be honest it probably wont be any different to what you got.

15g for sale good condition,£60 or with blanking plate £75

cheers mate, mine looks a bit shoddy thats all lol, but it does do the job.

will your blanking plate fir on my 18t??

cheers

p fandango
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 19:06
will your blanking plate fir on my 18t??
the recirc valve is the same on the whole Mitsi TD-04 turbo range, so yes it will fit mate

t5 pete
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 19:10
the ports are a different shape on the ME7 inlet, you'll need a couple ME7 head

to fit a throttle body onto my ME7 manifold i'm going to get a small 3" tube with a flange the same shape as the ETM one end, & the throttle body flange on the other

Yeah thats why i asked him about it also if it will not fit unless you take a chunk out of it as it will hit the power steering pump side bracket

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt39/t5pete/intakemanifold.jpg
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt39/t5pete/linkageinplace.jpg

danny-R
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 19:10
could i have the blanking plate please:) i want my car to sound like a turkey

Jamest5r
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 19:12
I look forward to seeing both the cars at york what set up will both have

My car....engine (from Tim Williams)with 97k oil stems and pcv done, me7 manifold, ported/polished 16t, m59 box with new r clutch, miltec cat-back(still looking for a d/p and racecat) air filter etc.

The Mrs.... upgrade from last year... 16t, d/p and racecat, koni shocks and ebiech springs,

Re the inlet manifold the same ones going back on its just im running a catch tank so easier to do while the blocks sitting on a pallet!!!

p fandango
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 19:12
Yeah thats why i asked him about it also if it will not fit unless you take a chunk out of it as it will hit the power steering pump side bracket
i'm thinking of ditching the power steering, looks like i defo will be nwo then lol :viking:

t5 pete
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 19:21
i'm thinking of ditching the power steering, looks like i defo will be nwo then lol :viking:

Tbh pedro im ditching both manifolds and going to make a custom one just use the inlet pipes to get you started off

Jamest5r
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 19:43
could i have the blanking plate please:) i want my car to sound like a turkey

I think you can buy them for about £20 anyway mate, it was on the turbo when i took it off(bonus!!) so just want to sell it as it is, i need to recoup some money it's been a bloody expensive couple of weeks!!!

danny-R
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 19:49
no probs just thought it would be worth a tenner lol ;)

Jamest5r
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 20:00
no probs just thought it would be worth a tenner lol ;)

How about you send me your recirc val off your old 15g, i'll send you the plate(with seal) and you give me a tenner when i see you at york

danny-R
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 20:13
nice1 james mate i will take it off tonight, you got yourself a deal :)

Jamest5r
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 20:15
P/m me your address mate, i cant promise i will send it in the next few days as im a touch busy to stand in the bloody post office for ages!!!

Edit: mate just thought im working at Nads ill stick it in with his post.

danny-R
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 20:25
pm'd cheers mate

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 20:50
Has the M59 got the external viscous clutch on it, attached to the driveshaft? I keep trying to find pics, but pics of an M59 box are rare.

Tomcat
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 20:58
If the Viscous clutch is external then whats to stop you bolting it onto another gearbox?.

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 21:01
If the Viscous clutch is external then whats to stop you bolting it onto another gearbox?.

You need the seperate output shaft like on the AWD M58. I was just wondering whether the M59 is an M58 with different ratios.

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 21:19
Like in this thread

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25140 (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25140&highlight=850R+gearbox)

You can see the splined output shaft. Theres not much info, but as far as I can tell, the M59 had an external viscous clutch which was attached to the O/S driveshaft and would lock up when the wheel started to spin

In fact,T5TEZ has answered my question in his thread. You can see the viscous unit in the pic on the ebay page

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-850-R-M59-GEAR-BOX-WITH-VISCOUS-DRIVE-SHAFT-LSD_W0QQitemZ150404355758QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car sParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2304cc56ae

Jamest5r
Thursday 14th January 2010, 21:59
Day 3... a total waste of time due to snow etc(what's wrong with this country?)

Day 4(today)...

Basically fitted everything we could to the engine a list of what's been done..

New wishbones
New trackrod ends
New drop links
New anti roll bar bushes
New inlet/outlet and turbo gaskets
New r clutch
New plugs(volvo)
New leads(volvo)
New belts
All four gaiters replaced on driveshafts(effing messy bloody job)
M59 gearbox
Me7 manifold
16t ported and polished
Injectors refurbed (jimithan)
Pedal box out and ready
Gearstick and linkage out
Clutch Master cylinder+pipe work

Sorry about the quality of the photos its dark in Nads cave!

However thats it until 2 weeks today due to work commintments and Nads ramp being occupied!, this is a job i dont need to rush, im well happy with the progress so for and i have a complete sub-frame ready to put in.

Thanks to Smithy without his help this would not off been possible.

Cheers

Tomcat
Thursday 14th January 2010, 23:15
Ahhh you've got to hand it to that Smiffy he's a good one alright.

Jamest5r
Friday 15th January 2010, 00:30
Ahhh you've got to hand it to that Smiffy he's a good one alright.

A real life Yoda :saint:

smithy
Friday 15th January 2010, 00:34
lol

Jamest5r
Friday 29th January 2010, 22:09
Just a quick update for any interested,

Pedal box in
Master cylinder in
Gear stick and linkage in
Sub frame out with no damage to wiring loom (hooray)

The usual few nuts and bolts held us up a bit but tommorrow just got to drop the car back on its new sub frame and plug everything in!!!

Many thanks again to Smithy for your help.

Good to see P Fandango and Bomb192 thanks for your words of wisdom.

phil_woods
Friday 29th January 2010, 22:22
looks like a major job mate, when its all done and if its all working I reckon you need to get the beers in for a few people lol. seriously though I hope that it all goes to plan and your happy, you have a really nice motor there and I think you should be happy with what you will have achieved.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 29th January 2010, 22:39
Nice to see you buddy and smithy and P.Diddy LOL. Its lookin good!

p fandango
Friday 29th January 2010, 22:44
yeh nice to see everyone. Sorry i never got to do my wiring bit James, but doing all that engine work a few wires is going to be nothing

& be carefull with that fork truck, if you can call it that lol

callyuk
Friday 29th January 2010, 23:26
looks good mate wish i had, had the interest to have done mine when the syncos went but just went and bought an auto instead was much easier lol

Wobbly Dave
Friday 29th January 2010, 23:36
That first shot with the clutch pedal and the auto shift lever is distinctly odd!! LOL

Jamest5r
Saturday 30th January 2010, 00:27
That first shot with the clutch pedal and the auto shift lever is distinctly odd!! LOL

That's why i took it, fitted the pedal's in then sat back and thought that's not right lol

Jamest5r
Saturday 30th January 2010, 19:28
After a sh*t start to the day, Smithy picked me up at 6:30 so we could take a good go at finishing today, got to Nads at 7 as he had given me the keys to open up(good man) however some git had locked the outer gate to the estate so had to sit around for an hour and a half!!

Anyway dont want to bore anyone but its just about done everythings in and when i turn the key it starts can't ask for anymore. Just the little bits like bleeding the clutch, heatshield back on and general tidying up of the bay.

Cheers for all your comments lads.

Hope to drive out in my manual on monday after driving in with an auto on friday(commitments tommorrow no car work allowed)

Sorry no pics too busy effing and jeffing

Cheers

cameron
Saturday 30th January 2010, 19:32
Nice one Jim now go arrange a race the Mrs and whip her ass :D

Sorry Mrs D :hidesbehi

smithy
Saturday 30th January 2010, 19:37

lol

Jamest5r
Saturday 30th January 2010, 19:43

Avon on the 4/4/10 if she's not working but me and Smithy will be there so at least i will be beaten again and before smithy come's back and tells everyone he has 135bhp................Ha ha ha you can almost treable that

smithy
Saturday 30th January 2010, 19:45
Avon on the 4/4/10 if she's not working but me and Smithy will be there so at least i will be beaten again and before smithy come's back and tells everyone he has 135bhp................Ha ha ha you can almost treable that

i dont know what you are talking about mate 135 bhp is an estimate and i recon it is about right lol

t5 pete
Saturday 30th January 2010, 19:58
i dont know what you are talking about mate 135 bhp is an estimate and i recon it is about right lol

Yeah but remember you will have 136 when you turn the psi up lol

smithy
Saturday 30th January 2010, 21:18
Yeah but remember you will have 136 when you turn the psi up lol

you now what my aims are then i like to aim high lol

t5 pete
Saturday 30th January 2010, 21:35
yeah that will be proper fast i think 137 will be pushing it so ide stick with 136 lmao

Jamest5r
Monday 1st February 2010, 20:24
First things first, many thanks to Smithy a true real life Yoda:saint: who without his help this project would of taken me six months not 6 days, cheers mate, also a big thank-you to Nads for letting us have the use of his cave and facilities(sorry about the mess!).

So as per title and having spent 3 days getting the sub-frame out of the donor and building it up ready to go in mine and then 3 days swapping it into mine i drove a manual out off Nads:wiggle: very strange experience. Only one slight problem was noticed while it was up on a ramp getting the tracking done bloody gearbox seal leaking where the drive shaft enters but only on one side so another job to do but if that's the only problem im well happy:D

I GOT A T5R MANUAL:wave23d:

Cheers for all the comments lads and will get some pics up when i clean up the interior/exterior

smithy
Monday 1st February 2010, 21:59
well done mate

cameron
Monday 1st February 2010, 22:03
Fancy doing another :D

Jamest5r
Monday 1st February 2010, 22:11
Fancy doing another :D

No thanks mate:scared: as a wise man said to me once it's only nuts and bolts at the end of the day.......... plus i think mine and rt mechanics t5r are the only t5r auto's that have been converted to manual's in the country(someone will tell me different probably).

cameron
Monday 1st February 2010, 22:12
Only messing, i expected a reply full of expletives and abuse :B_thumb:

Dangerous Dave
Monday 1st February 2010, 22:46
Excellent job guys, its not as bad as you think it would be is it? Apart from all the little things that go wrong. Just wish I had a garage to mess about with mine more often.

dooby
Monday 1st February 2010, 23:41
Hi James,

excellent work - hope you're pleased with the result. If you're anything like me you'll be glad the job's over but happy with all the new things you now know :-)

Cheers, Pete

smithy
Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 00:17
i bet he misses a gear being used to auto lol

dooby
Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 01:27
i bet he misses a gear being used to auto lol

Tell me about it - hitting the rev limiter, or my favourite which was stalling as you pull to a stop and forget there's a clutch you have to press now :-)

I think it's made even more weird by the fact it's the same car that was an auto - I don't stall my missus' car 'cos I remember that's a manual...

Oh well, doesn't take too long to get used to it.

Enjoy, Pete

JelT5
Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 13:32
Well done James- mammoth job to undertake and finish. Good on yer and enjoy the car!

RT MECHANICS
Thursday 4th February 2010, 07:22
No thanks mate:scared: as a wise man said to me once it's only nuts and bolts at the end of the day.......... plus i think mine and rt mechanics t5r are the only t5r auto's that have been converted to manual's in the country(someone will tell me different probably).

Well done James welcome to the club :)

Russ

Jamest5r
Tuesday 9th February 2010, 22:21
Well this afternoon was the test of the conversion and to be honest with you all i was ££££ing it, would the engine hold?, was the turbo any good?,...well yes it all stayed in on piece no smoke at all, apart from my 15yr old rad which decided to develop a hairline crack so going to replace it, and a small oil leak at the end but nothing major by the looks of it(oil rtn seal).

So the peformance.... it's over fueling in the mid range which can be adjusted(going back week sat) and im going to get the boost up'ed a touch.

Fly...288.74

Wheel...264.67

Well happy with the smooth power and constant all the way to 6200 with no let off.

Cheers

smithy
Tuesday 9th February 2010, 22:26
Well this afternoon was the test of the conversion and to be honest with you all i was ££££ing it, would the engine hold?, was the turbo any good?,...well yes it all stayed in on piece no smoke at all, apart from my 15yr old rad which decided to develop a hairline crack so going to replace it, and a small oil leak at the end but nothing major by the looks of it(oil rtn seal).

So the peformance.... it's over fueling in the mid range which can be adjusted(going back week sat) and im going to get the boost up'ed a touch.

Fly...288.74

Wheel...264.67

Well happy with the smooth power and constant all the way to 6200 with no let off.

Cheers

yes i agree it pulls like a train mate and with map altered and boost up a little bit you should be in the 300 bhp club which i want to be in again in the very near future lol

t5 pete
Tuesday 9th February 2010, 22:30
well done my geuss wasnt that far off then

danny-R
Tuesday 9th February 2010, 23:02
well done james mate, see you at york ;)

abdul
Tuesday 9th February 2010, 23:13
well done

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 9th February 2010, 23:55
and a small oil leak at the end but nothing major by the looks of it(oil rtn seal).
I know who fitted the pipe....lol

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 10th February 2010, 12:11
Good to see you guys - looks very comparable to my own. See you at York if not sooner.

Jamest5r
Wednesday 10th February 2010, 18:10
well done my geuss wasnt that far off then

Four pack of John's for you then mate, p/m me your address.

Jamest5r
Wednesday 10th February 2010, 18:13
Forgot to say 427 n/m :rolleyes2 :B_thumb:

Just trying to upload vid to utube will try and do link!!!!

p fandango
Wednesday 10th February 2010, 18:18
288bhp that ain't bad going, what exhaust & filter you using?

i bet your old autobox lost more than 24bhp thru it as well lol

Jamest5r
Wednesday 10th February 2010, 18:22
Hi Duane, using a piper x panal filter with miltec cat back 2.5" with standard d/p no cat straight through, no money left for a race cat but will put a 100 cell in when funds allow me, it was over fuelling badly in the mid-range and thats on orange's refurbed by Jimithan, so going to get the fuelling toned down a bit and the boost upped a little(1.3 bar) and give it another go week sat.

Chad
Wednesday 10th February 2010, 18:50
nice

Jamest5r
Wednesday 10th February 2010, 18:58
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOpYYKTK3r0

Bloody hell i did it!!! sorry about the quality the original on my camera/computer is perfect but after uploading to utube it looks crap???

t5 pete
Wednesday 10th February 2010, 19:03
Four pack of John's for you then mate, p/m me your address.

lol ill have them at york cheers

smithy
Wednesday 10th February 2010, 22:25
I know who fitted the pipe....lol

sod off i refitted the drain pipe lol

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 10th February 2010, 23:53
sod off i refitted the drain pipe lol
LOL :nut:

Jamest5r
Sunday 28th February 2010, 15:57
My final map....nice smooth and constant

287 bhp :)
269 whp :)
456 n/m :)
1.2 bar (as p.fandango requested)

cameron
Sunday 28th February 2010, 16:25
All that hard work from you and the fella's has paid off Jim.

Well done guys :B_thumb:

p fandango
Sunday 28th February 2010, 16:42
nice looking graph, what boosts that running at?

Jamest5r
Sunday 28th February 2010, 17:00
nice looking graph, what boosts that running at?

Constant 1.2 bar:) was peaking at 1.5 bar earlier and 534n/m tooooooo much

t5 pete
Sunday 28th February 2010, 17:29
really good james i bet its certainly different to drive now

Jamest5r
Sunday 28th February 2010, 17:35
really good james i bet its certainly different to drive now

TORQUE STEERING :) M59 box works well :) will be great if we ever get a dry road :cussing:

t5 pete
Sunday 28th February 2010, 17:37
TORQUE STEERING :) M59 box works well :) will be great if we ever get a dry road :cussing:

lol i carnt wait to see it on the strip

bonelorry
Sunday 28th February 2010, 17:37
Power and torque figures look good but the WHP figure seems a bit optomistic.....It equates to less than a 10% transmission loss??

Jamest5r
Sunday 28th February 2010, 17:42
Power and torque figures look good but the WHP figure seems a bit optomistic.....It equates to less than a 10% transmission loss??

No idea mate i can only go by what the computer says, but it has a m59 box and brand new r clutch if that would help the loss i honestly don't know

bonelorry
Sunday 28th February 2010, 17:51
No idea mate i can only go by what the computer says, but it has a m59 box and brand new r clutch if that would help the loss i honestly don't know

Not to worry, At a guess id say you should see about 15% maybe a little bit more transmission loss on a FWD.

Aslong as your hapy with it all thats the main thing, You have done well with the conversion and its something i considered doing when i was looking for an 850R manual but couldnt find one.....Buying an auto and converting it.

I wimped out and bought an S70 instead lol.

How are you finding the M59? I have one fitted to my car and must say although its not as good as a quaife LSD its certainly a massive improvement over an M56!

Jamest5r
Sunday 28th February 2010, 18:10
Not to worry, At a guess id say you should see about 15% maybe a little bit more transmission loss on a FWD.

Aslong as your hapy with it all thats the main thing, You have done well with the conversion and its something i considered doing when i was looking for an 850R manual but couldnt find one.....Buying an auto and converting it.

How are you finding the M59? I have one fitted to my car and must say although its not as good as a quaife LSD its certainly a massive improvement over an M56!

Like the m59 alot, as for the m56 no idea never driven one i had an auto before lol

Rnash2002
Sunday 28th February 2010, 18:38
Nice results.

smithy
Sunday 28th February 2010, 21:24
[/U][/I][/B]

Like the m59 alot, as for the m56 no idea never driven one i had an auto before lol

you did a great job mate well done now enjoy the car mate i bet it goes well .my turn next im scared though

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 28th February 2010, 21:45

Guess is indeed the word.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 28th February 2010, 21:47
James - really pleased about these results. Are these different to the ones I saw when you were at Hamish's that day?

smithy
Sunday 28th February 2010, 22:14
James - really pleased about these results. Are these different to the ones I saw when you were at Hamish's that day?

i think he had alot more power and torque now mate hows yours going with all your shiny bits lol

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 28th February 2010, 22:37
Thread update is imminent ;) - Peter cometh and bring goodly things forth from Sweden.

bonelorry
Sunday 28th February 2010, 22:37
Guess is indeed the word.

Whats your 2 penneth then wobbly???

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 28th February 2010, 22:41
How do you work out what the transmission loss - at 15%, when at your own words you said it was a complete guess.

bonelorry
Sunday 28th February 2010, 22:46
How do you work out what the transmission loss - at 15%, when at your own words you said it was a complete guess.

So what do you think then???

How much loss as a percentage would you say is a typical amount on a FWD car?

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 28th February 2010, 22:54
one based on the graph above?

bonelorry
Sunday 28th February 2010, 22:58
one based on the graph above?

No as we both know there is no way on earth the M59 box is that efficient.....Not unless its got a straight cut gear set fitted.

Going on that graph there is only about a 6% to 7% transmission loss from the flywheel to the wheels its just not possible.

Taken from good old Wikipedia....

Brake horsepower (bhp) is the measure of an engine's horsepower without the loss in power caused by the gearbox, alternator, differential, water pump, and other auxiliary components such as power steering pump, muffled exhaust system, etc. Brake refers to a device which was used to load an engine and hold it at a desired RPM. During testing, the output torque and rotational speed were measured to determine the brake horsepower. Horsepower was originally measured and calculated by use of the indicator (a James Watt invention of the late 18th century), and later by means of a De Prony brake connected to the engine's output shaft. More recently, an engine dynamometer is used instead of a De Prony brake. The output delivered to the driving wheels is less than that obtainable at the engine's crankshaft

wheel horsepower (whp) are the brake horsepower converted to useful work. In the case of a road vehicle this is the power actually turned into forward motion as measured on a chassis dynamometer. Power available at the road is generally 10% to 20% less than the engine's actual bhp crankshaft rating due to vehicle related parasitic losses, much of which is due to the vehicle's rubber tires rather than true transmission losses

Obviously RWD and 4WD losses are greater for obvious reasons such as differentials and transfer boxes etc etc But then you already know that.

My guess of 15% wasnt that far out.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 28th February 2010, 23:12
But you're just throwing out aspertions based on Wiki facts and a hunch - when the graph quite clearly shows good efficients results for James' efforts.

bonelorry
Sunday 28th February 2010, 23:14
But you're just throwing out aspertions based on Wiki facts and a hunch - when the graph quite clearly shows good efficients results for James' efforts.

Like i said to james the power and torque figures are very good and he has done very well with the conversion etc

I just dont buy the WHP figure for one minute :)

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 28th February 2010, 23:20
And that would be because...

bonelorry
Sunday 28th February 2010, 23:26
And that would be because...

See post 107 2nd paragraph down and ill leave it at that as im bored already.

Jamest5r
Monday 1st March 2010, 01:09

Hi Dave, about the same bhp but better torque overall so nicer to drive...that's what's it all about.

As for the discussion above all rollers/graphs are subjective but if i use the same one all the time i know where i stand, i know its just numbers but its all a laugh at the end of the day, i could of got 300bhp but the car would'nt of been as good to drive through the power range, its the torque for me not the end bhp or whp:wavey:

danny-R
Monday 1st March 2010, 08:30
well done james mate. it's looking good to me.
i think you have done well to say you're using a 16t.
Round 2 at york ;)?

smithy
Monday 1st March 2010, 09:22
See post 107 2nd paragraph down and ill leave it at that as im bored already.

on what you are saying mate is the whp could be right because that is what the rr reads at the end of the day so his fly bhp should be higher more like nearly 300 bhp yippee.lol .im going to be using the same rr on my car so the comparion should be right then with mine and james and anybody else that uses the same rr .

smithy
Monday 1st March 2010, 09:28
Round 2 at york ;)?

im looking forward to that danny i think it should close or he might even beat you lol.but dont worry it will be on camera for everyone to see lol

RollingThunder
Tuesday 2nd March 2010, 14:06
Nice job that. I'd consider doing the auto-manual conversion on my 850R if/when my autobox dies, but I must admit to being VERY apprehensive about it. It'd be very easy to let costs spiral out of control.

Good to see that its worth the effort though :)

Jamest5r
Tuesday 2nd March 2010, 20:45
Round 2 at york ;)?

Looking forward to it mate the best my car would do before was 15.1 and as much as it's a laugh it's always nice to win just ask the Mrs lol, going to avon on the 4th so ill see how it goes then.

Jamest5r
Friday 16th April 2010, 19:59
Well after having 6 weeks of fun in my car ive killed it:mad: i guess this is the chance you take with a 2nd hand engine and pushing it to the limit, piston rings failing and build crank pressure and blue smoke out the back. So the bitch is out and being rebuilt next week with new pistons and rings so at least when it goes back in it will be sorted. Some pics for you.... you can see the burn on top of cylinders 1 and 5 and Smithy lurking in the background lol cheers for your help once again your beer tokens are piling up.
Also anyone know where to get pistons and rings Rufe wants £385:frown: going to be bloody expensive week or two.

Cheers

p fandango
Friday 16th April 2010, 21:01
damn. How come that happened, its not a very common problem? (thought the piston were good for upto 400bhp?)

Tomcat
Friday 16th April 2010, 21:05
Oh bugger, bad luck James, still if you get it rebuilt properly then it should be good for another 200k. What is it with Smithy, are you and him joined at the hip?,lol.

Jamest5r
Friday 16th April 2010, 21:15
damn. How come that happened, its not a very common problem? (thought the piston were good for upto 400bhp?)

No idea mate, you pay your money and take your chances, ££££ happens hind sight is at great thing lol

Jamest5r
Friday 16th April 2010, 21:22
Oh bugger, bad luck James, still if you get it rebuilt properly then it should be good for another 200k. What is it with Smithy, are you and him joined at the hip?,lol.

No mate just 2 sad 40 yr old volvo freaks lol

Dangerous Dave
Friday 16th April 2010, 23:18
Oooh, bad luck matey. Hope you get it sorted soon.

RT MECHANICS
Saturday 17th April 2010, 07:11
Bad luck James i hope you sort it soon what had actually failed ? Well done for being man enough to post your failure :Handshake

Russ

danny-R
Saturday 17th April 2010, 07:14
nightmare mate, you have 6 weeks to get it sorted do you think it will be done by york??

shame you sold your old block to lee, could you not have used old pistons?

good luck

Jamest5r
Saturday 17th April 2010, 10:01
Bad luck James i hope you sort it soon what had actually failed ? Well done for being man enough to post your failure :Handshake

Russ

Not 100% sure mate but lots of play in clylinder's 1&5 you can rock the top around so i would guess rings but having it rebuilt so when it done hopefully thats it.

Jamest5r
Saturday 17th April 2010, 10:04
nightmare mate, you have 6 weeks to get it sorted do you think it will be done by york??

good luck

Hopefully done within 2 weeks mate going to be built this week if i can get the pistons but they got to come from sweden and there is no bloody flights!!!it was a daily driver so im a bit in the crap at the moment, and im using new bits this time!!

smithy
Saturday 17th April 2010, 14:34

good luck

it will be done dont worry about that mate.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 18th April 2010, 21:24
Hope all is better soon.

Jamest5r
Sunday 18th April 2010, 21:44
Hope all is better soon.

It will be soon the same bloke that has built Smithy's last 2 engine's is doing it :bounce:

Jamest5r
Friday 30th April 2010, 16:59
Having been bored without my car thought i would do the 3" inlet mod, very easy with a flap sander(thanks for the tip fandango), however all those little filling's everywhere i thought it need a good clean and as the Mrs is at work.......will let you know how its come out in about an hour and twenty.

P.s DO NOT try this with your catch tank as i did a couple of weeks back took 12 empty washes to get rid of the petrol smell lol.

p fandango
Friday 30th April 2010, 17:06
nice one, don't forget you'll need to turn the throttle position switch & extend the wires

interested to see what you think to it

Jamest5r
Friday 30th April 2010, 17:20
nice one, don't forget you'll need to turn the throttle position switch & extend the wires

interested to see what you think to it

Cheers mate i know about the switch test fitted it and it 90' out but i think even i can manage that bit off wiring might help me with my phobia of auto electrics.

I will let you know what i think once i have an engine to bolt it too lol, it needed to be bored out by 0.5mm but volvo only do oversize pistons in 0.2 and 0.4 so i need to sourse 0.5 oversize pistons for a 5234t engine and ideas mate?? cost is an issue lol.

leet5r
Monday 3rd May 2010, 11:53
how are you gettin on with the build m8 , and how hard is it to do the 3inch tb

Jamest5r
Monday 3rd May 2010, 16:49
how are you gettin on with the build m8 , and how hard is it to do the 3inch tb

Hi mate, the build is on hold for the moment until i have enough cash for forged internals, everything done on the block and head etc, so just going to put another 2nd hand one in for know.

The 3" tb is easy to do mate just need a flap sander took about half hour.

Jamest5r
Saturday 8th May 2010, 19:31
The beast is nearly ready to rumble again.....

Auto engine converted to manual all bits fitted just some pipework to sort out for my new intercooler and i will again be driving a volvo, didnt even have to extend the wires for the 3" t/b bonus.

Many thanks again to my partner in crime Mr Smith.

Cheers

Rnash2002
Saturday 8th May 2010, 19:42
Looks like you have been busy again,bet you cant wait to get her on the road again.

Jamest5r
Saturday 8th May 2010, 19:44
Some more pics..., also new cambelt of course:smile: and if this bitch smokes im going to burn the damn thing:rant:

smithy
Saturday 8th May 2010, 19:49
The beast is nearly ready to rumble again.....

Auto engine converted to manual all bits fitted just some pipework to sort out for my new intercooler and i will again be driving a volvo, didnt even have to extend the wires for the 3" t/b bonus.

Many thanks again to my partner in crime Mr Smith.

Cheers

you are doing a grand job there sir where is the pic of you and your car lol.

Jamest5r
Saturday 8th May 2010, 19:53
This one lol

smithy
Saturday 8th May 2010, 19:59
This one lol

god you look happy lol

Jamest5r
Saturday 8th May 2010, 20:01
god you look happy lol

Working with you all day....lol

smithy
Saturday 8th May 2010, 20:08
Working with you all day....lol

thats true ide be a happy sole too if i had to work with me too lol

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 8th May 2010, 20:41
Looks fun - new FMIC??

Jamest5r
Monday 17th May 2010, 18:21
Quick update of my woes, replaced engine and turbo and the 16t was smoking, so it was replaced it with another second hand one i had lying around(by Smithy as i was working)...this also smokes....by luck i managed to sourse an 18t which has been sent off for refurbing so hopefully back friday learnt my lesson trying cheap 2nd hand parts or maybe i was just unlucky lol.

Also fitted fmic and 3" t/b with pipework by Smithy cheers mate.

But got a couple of problems, my fan will not kick in for some reason did not disconect anything when i fitted fmic but it is a different engine lol.

Car will only start when it feels like it, totally random getting fuel pressure and changed the relay's on top of the rad, but sometimes there is spark from coil and sometime's not changed this for the one from the mrs car and same.

All ideas/suggestions most welcomed.

Cheers

Alan M
Monday 17th May 2010, 18:59
Where abouts are you from in Brum James?

Jamest5r
Monday 17th May 2010, 20:38
Where abouts are you from in Brum James?

Car is in a unit in Aston mate by the royal mail building.

Jamest5r
Monday 14th June 2010, 18:34
Finally got around to fitting my boost and oil temp gauge's, but thats as far as my technical know how goes on this subject so need some help on how to get the wires etc to the relevant places, by this i mean just from behind the vents can sort the rest out once i get the wires to the footwell.

Cheers

p fandango
Monday 14th June 2010, 18:46
looks good, i prefer it when all the gauges are from the same range & match each other. I think the best thing to do is take the dash top off, drill a small hole into the vent pipes to get the wires thru then feed them down to the underdash panels, should be able to find a space thru with the top off

Jamest5r
Monday 14th June 2010, 18:52
Cheers Duane, how the hell does the top of the dash come off? interiors are not my strong point too many plastic bits to break!!!

p fandango
Monday 14th June 2010, 18:55
Cheers Duane, how the hell does the top of the dash come off? interiors are not my strong point too many plastic bits to break!!!
couple of screws in the top of most vents/dial cluster & a few at the ends i believe. I didn't take mine off the conventional way but i'll look on Vadis & post up a diagram (if i can find it) once i'm home

Jamest5r
Monday 14th June 2010, 19:19
Thought i might as well update the changes to my car...

Another engine
18t refurbed
Fmic with 3" outlets
3" throttle body
T5R gear stick and center console
Blue injectors

Just got to get the actuator set for the 18t and see what she runs on the r/r.

Been to hell and back with this bitch.....she better be worth it.

p fandango
Monday 14th June 2010, 19:26
Thought i might as well update the changes to my car...

Another engine
18t refurbed
Fmic with 3" outlets
3" throttle body
T5R gear stick and center console
Blue injectors

Just got to get the actuator set for the 18t and see what she runs on the r/r.

Been to hell and back with this bitch.....she better be worth it.
very nice mate sounds a nice set-up, you got anything else in the pipelines?

is the actuator your using your original 15g one or is it a 18t one on it?

don't take offence mate just thinking out loud, but the one thing that puts me off aftermarket FMIC's is how long the pipes are to it. I'm torn between whether a better/more efficient intercooler with long pipes is better than the factory IC with short pipes. Be interesting to see how yours goes mate

PS don't forget to plumb your catchtank back in lol :wink:

Jamest5r
Monday 14th June 2010, 19:34
very nice mate sounds a nice set-up, you got anything else in the pipelines?

is the actuator your using your original 15g one or is it a 18t one on it?

don't take offence mate just thinking out loud, but the one thing that puts me off aftermarket FMIC's is how long the pipes are to it. I'm torn between whether a better/more efficient intercooler with long pipes is better than the factory IC with short pipes. Be interesting to see how yours goes mate

PS don't forget to plumb your catchtank back in lol :wink:

16t., going to set it about 7psi should give me about 1.3bar, no money left for a new one.

Fmic i got for free so i thought it was worth a bash.

Catch tank was one of my nightmare's mate, it could not cope with the pressure and was backing the fumes back into the engine which i highly suspect was causing alot of the smoking issues, i know this because i fitted a new engine that i know doesnt smoke and a refurbed turbo and then it started to smoke on idle when warm so that was the only thing left...disconnected the pipe and just venting to air and guess what no smoke!! still get a bit every now and then but i suspect the pipe is full of crap but im having a break from engine work for a few weeks lol.

martybelfastt5
Monday 14th June 2010, 19:39
all sound good mate best of luck

p fandango
Monday 14th June 2010, 20:02
Fmic i got for free so i thought it was worth a bash.
can't say no when its free really can you lol, as i say i'd be interested to see how it works out

Catch tank was one of my nightmare's mate, it could not cope with the pressure and was backing the fumes back into the engine which i highly suspect was causing alot of the smoking issues, i know this because i fitted a new engine that i know doesnt smoke and a refurbed turbo and then it started to smoke on idle when warm so that was the only thing left...disconnected the pipe and just venting to air and guess what no smoke!! still get a bit every now and then but i suspect the pipe is full of crap but im having a break from engine work for a few weeks lol.
hmm that is weird. I still haven't finished BT's PCV bypass but i wonder if that'd help by removing some of the restriction

Jamest5r
Monday 14th June 2010, 20:08
Thats why i was taking a keen interest in what you were planning, i think a direct flow system from the block has to be the way forward, hows yours coming on have you got all the parts and costs yet?.

p fandango
Monday 14th June 2010, 20:14
Thats why i was taking a keen interest in what you were planning, i think a direct flow system from the block has to be the way forward, hows yours coming on have you got all the parts and costs yet?.
i'd forgot all about tbh mate lol. Just need to order 3metres of 15mm (or was it 18mm) pipe then i've got everything, the price of silicone pipe is just silly tho so keep putting it off. Some of the bits i could only buy in pairs so got the T-piece & sump bung for you if you want them mate

Volvostorm
Monday 14th June 2010, 20:21
Catch tank was one of my nightmare's mate, it could not cope with the pressure and was backing the fumes back into the engine which i highly suspect was causing alot of the smoking issues, i know this because i fitted a new engine that i know doesnt smoke and a refurbed turbo and then it started to smoke on idle when warm so that was the only thing left...disconnected the pipe and just venting to air and guess what no smoke!!

Hmm, I wonder if mine is doing the same, Its still on the stock setup at the moment though. Hopefully the new pedro/James style setup will work????

Woohoo! My 1000th post!!:beer::band:

p fandango
Monday 14th June 2010, 20:24
Hmm, I wonder if mine is doing the same, Its still on the stock setup at the moment though. Hopefully the new pedro/James style setup will work????
i will get round to finishing it, still messing with the ME7 inlet so she's not running anyway yet

Woohoo! My 1000th post!!:beer::band:
well done mate

Jamest5r
Monday 14th June 2010, 20:25
i'd forgot all about tbh mate lol. Just need to order 3metres of 15mm (or was it 18mm) pipe then i've got everything, the price of silicone pipe is just silly tho so keep putting it off. Some of the bits i could only buy in pairs so got the T-piece & sump bung for you if you want them mate

Yes please mate, will pay you for them, and chance off the diagram you did of that system?

Its 15mm standard but 18mm might be better if it fits over the connecters?
Cheers

p fandango
Monday 14th June 2010, 20:33
Yes please mate, will pay you for them, and chance off the diagram you did of that system?
i'll hunt the diagram out, i've had a clear out of the hard-drive & deleted aload of pics but sure i've kept that (4gb of Volvo related pics was a bit excessive lol). They only cost me a couple of quid & taking up space on the computer desk so can have them mate

Its 15mm standard but 18mm might be better if it fits over the connecters?
got a feeling it was 18mm, sure i got a 22-18mm reducer (i'll get the tape measure out just to make sure lol)

Jamest5r
Monday 3rd January 2011, 21:00
Thought i would drag my old thread into the present day lol.

As some of you will know i had some good fun over the summer with the 850 running a £250 replacement engine, but as always the addiction for more power has been stirred. However with a wedding and honeymoon to pay for my pocket has taken a large hit lol and as much as i would of liked to have spent £2k on rods/pistons and a basically new engine rebuild the Mrs to be did'nt fancy a weekend in blackpool as a honeymoon, so im only left with a small budget. I already have a head done so ive got a 2nd hand block(88k) from t5pete and just bought a set of rods from Don, get it put back together bolt on the t35 nick the 3" system from the v70 and see what happens.

Will keep you updated

Cheers

The Flying Moose
Monday 3rd January 2011, 21:07
Certainly sounds better on the wallet than the other plans you mensioned mate.

Shouldn't be too long for you now then to get it all finished and bolted in as it were.

I look forward to seeing the progress.

Out of interest what are you doing with the current engine? I may be after another for a long term rebuild.

leet5r
Monday 3rd January 2011, 21:09
you should be able to rebuild an engine for a lot less than 2k like m8

Jamest5r
Monday 3rd January 2011, 21:10
Certainly sounds better on the wallet than the other plans you mensioned mate.

Shouldn't be too long for you now then to get it all finished and bolted in as it were.

I look forward to seeing the progress.

Out of interest what are you doing with the current engine? I may be after another for a long term rebuild.

Cheers mate, Jelt5 has 1st dibs on the engine mate but will put you 2nd:smile:

Jamest5r
Monday 3rd January 2011, 21:12

Not with £1200 rods/pistions, then new shells etc + the gaskets it bloody add's up quick mate if your going for a total rebuild.

Santa
Monday 3rd January 2011, 21:21
So I might be in win a chance of just staying ahead lol

might have to see though lol

Dangerous Dave
Monday 3rd January 2011, 21:23
So I might be in win a chance of just staying ahead lol
Being towed by the AA truck? its gonna be close LOL

Santa
Monday 3rd January 2011, 21:26
Being towed by the AA truck? its gonna be close LOL

Shame....I liked you when we met yesterday :-p

Dangerous Dave
Monday 3rd January 2011, 21:33
And with diesel parts on it as well.... :P

Now that you've broken it in, are you going to be doing a lot more work yourself?

p fandango
Monday 3rd January 2011, 21:33
Shame....I liked you when we met yesterday :-p
yeh you liked him so much i'm sure it was your idea to leave them in the pub while we clear off outside lol

Santa
Monday 3rd January 2011, 21:36
yeh you liked him so much i'm sure it was your idea to leave them in the pub while we clear off outside lol

I went out for some fresh air then we started moving cars around :-p

And with diesel parts on it as well.... :P

Now that you've broken it in, are you going to be doing a lot more work yourself?

Well I was looking to downgrade components lol and I'm now thinking of doing even less work on it now then I was before. (Like get someone else to check the oil, coolant and to refill it lol

Dangerous Dave
Monday 3rd January 2011, 21:39
Like get someone else to check the oil, coolant, engine mountings and to refill it lol
:D hehehehe

p fandango
Monday 3rd January 2011, 21:40
Well I was looking to downgrade components lol
i'd better check BT's S60R manifold, wonder if thats fallen off lol. I suppose you could say S60R bits are lighter because of the trail of them it leaves lol

Santa
Monday 3rd January 2011, 21:44
The S60R is a quality machine.....if kept in its original factory packaging

Jamest5r
Monday 3rd January 2011, 21:56
Bloody thread hi-jacker's sod off and do your male bonding somewhere else lol

Volvostorm
Monday 3rd January 2011, 23:20

Not with £1200 rods/pistions, then new shells etc + the gaskets it bloody add's up quick mate if your going for a total rebuild.

I agree with you there, you having your head ported too?

smithy
Tuesday 4th January 2011, 00:28
Thought i would drag my old thread into the present day lol.

As some of you will know i had some good fun over the summer with the 850 running a £250 replacement engine, but as always the addiction for more power has been stirred. However with a wedding and honeymoon to pay for my pocket has taken a large hit lol and as much as i would of liked to have spent £2k on rods/pistons and a basically new engine rebuild the Mrs to be did'nt fancy a weekend in blackpool as a honeymoon, so im only left with a small budget. I already have a head done so ive got a 2nd hand block(88k) from t5pete and just bought a set of rods from Don, get it put back together bolt on the t35 nick the 3" system from the v70 and see what happens.

Will keep you updated

Cheers

nice thead mate i wonder how you going to do your car it must be costing you a nice penny to have all that done and fitted i bet alot of it will be labour fitting all this stuff and plumbing that turbo in too

leet5r
Wednesday 5th January 2011, 20:30
what rods and pistons are you using like james , and what other bits do you still need

Jamest5r
Wednesday 5th January 2011, 21:01
Got the rods from Don at Kalmar this morning, using the standard pistons just got to keep it under 400bhp, everything else i have i think.

Volvostorm
Wednesday 5th January 2011, 21:14
Have fun with the main bearings codes! :P

400 is the target for mine too, though I could probably go higher.

leet5r
Wednesday 5th January 2011, 21:57
codes arnt that bad , ya said 1200 for rods and pistons, how much did don sell ya them for m8

Jamest5r
Wednesday 5th January 2011, 22:02
380 for the rods, bolts and postage, rsi and sten are over a grand for matching set which is why im staying with standard pistons

leet5r
Wednesday 5th January 2011, 22:37
that a okay price like , a got worried with 1200 lol

Volvostorm
Wednesday 5th January 2011, 23:02
What big end bolts you using?

Jamest5r
Friday 7th January 2011, 21:39
Hopefully i wont bend these...

claymore
Friday 7th January 2011, 21:53
I see a problem there, there's one missing

Jamest5r
Friday 7th January 2011, 22:01
Found it, cheers Colin knew something was missing :B_thumb:

claymore
Friday 7th January 2011, 22:04
suppose I'm going to have to order mine as well :)

woody
Friday 7th January 2011, 22:39
Hopefully i wont bend these...

Nice Rods! What sort of price does these go for James?

t5 pete
Friday 7th January 2011, 23:19
as above

t5 pete
Friday 7th January 2011, 23:20
380 for the rods, bolts and postage, rsi and sten are over a grand for matching set which is why im staying with standard pistons

Nice Rods! What sort of price does these go for James?

Or below

Jamest5r
Friday 7th January 2011, 23:22

As highlighted mate

t5 pete
Friday 7th January 2011, 23:25
They should certainly hold things together

Jamest5r
Friday 7th January 2011, 23:30
They should certainly hold things together

You will be the first to know if they come out of the side of your block.;)

t5 pete
Friday 7th January 2011, 23:34
lol at least by then ill have some more engines lol

woody
Friday 7th January 2011, 23:40
As highlighted mate

Cheers James, I couldn't see the wood for the trees!

Jamest5r
Saturday 8th January 2011, 00:40
lol at least by then ill have some more engines lol

I am not putting anymore engine's into this bitch lol, hopefully this will be the last one, including the original this will be the 4th one in there, getting sick of swopping engine's but getting pretty good at it lol.

smithy
Saturday 8th January 2011, 17:39
I am not putting anymore engine's into this bitch lol, hopefully this will be the last one, including the original this will be the 4th one in there, getting sick of swopping engine's but getting pretty good at it lol.

you do very well mate you must be a dab hand at it by now on your own i wish i had those skills lol

Jamest5r
Saturday 8th January 2011, 17:54
you do very well mate you must be a dab hand at it by now on your own i wish i had those skills lol

Your welcome to hang around again if you so wish, always need someone for the donkey work, you might even learn a thing or two.

smithy
Saturday 8th January 2011, 18:46
Your welcome to hang around again if you so wish, always need someone for the donkey work, you might even learn a thing or two.

this is very true but the problem is im always on my own when comes to donkey work on my car i wonder why lol i sometimes see you giving me moral support out side the unit were i was doing my car lol[GOTYA]

Jamest5r
Saturday 8th January 2011, 19:15
this is very true but the problem is im always on my own when comes to donkey work on my car i wonder why lol i sometimes see you giving me moral support out side the unit were i was doing my car lol[GOTYA]

Because your a short arse bear that grumbles if anyone goes near your motor when your working on it.

smithy
Saturday 8th January 2011, 22:42
Because your a short arse bear that grumbles if anyone goes near your motor when your working on it.

very true lol

Jamest5r
Thursday 31st March 2011, 21:49
Well ive managed to get myself the unit i had last year for a few weeks so work can start....

To be fitted,

Refurbed head and block with forged rods

S60R Mani

T35 Hybrid

VXR Injectors

I/C to be removed and outlets moved to the top.

Should be fun.

t5 pete
Thursday 31st March 2011, 21:54
Whens the engine getting droped down then james it will certainly be different when you drive the car back out of the unit when its all done

Jamest5r
Thursday 31st March 2011, 22:07
Whens the engine getting droped down then james it will certainly be different when you drive the car back out of the unit when its all done

Im guessing that's code for "when can i ££££ing have my 18t" lol, probably will meet you a week sunday mate and found the invoice for it, warrenty till oct 2012 will give it to you for safe keeping.

t5 pete
Thursday 31st March 2011, 22:09
Im guessing that's code for "when can i ££££ing have my 18t" lol, probably will meet you a week sunday mate and found the invoice for it, warrenty till oct 2012 will give it to you for safe keeping.

PMSL i thought ide ask the pollite way

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 31st March 2011, 22:09
So when is the forged engine going in?

Jamest5r
Thursday 31st March 2011, 22:25
So when is the forged engine going in?

Without rushing things as i only really have the weekends and Smithy when he's borded and childless lol, probably a month today for everything to be finished, thats what im aiming for.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 1st April 2011, 00:39
where you getting it mapped?

smithy
Friday 1st April 2011, 03:53
Without rushing things as i only really have the weekends and Smithy when he's borded and childless lol, probably a month today for everything to be finished, thats what im aiming for.

it will be less than a month mate i want yours done so i can then finish mine ,dont forget both have to be built and tuned by the 29th may

T5frankie
Friday 1st April 2011, 05:30
Won't you have to run them in?

JelT5
Friday 1st April 2011, 06:44
Well ive managed to get myself the unit i had last year for a few weeks so work can start....

To be fitted,

Refurbed head and block with forged rods

S60R Mani

T35 Hybrid

VXR Injectors

I/C to be removed and outlets moved to the top.

Should be fun.

Fantastic mate, that'll be a very quick green monster when it's all done :)

smithy
Friday 1st April 2011, 09:39
Won't you have to run them in?

no mate bearings are perfect just have to bed my piston rings in thats all.james engine has been rebuilt but the bearing where perfect in that too and pistons

Jamest5r
Friday 1st April 2011, 19:11
where you getting it mapped?

Hamish has got a copy of the map Adam did for Smithy's car when the t35 was on that so just going to get that put on for the moment and stick it on the rollers and see how she performs, bit skint at the moment so that's my only real option, unless Adam does monthly payments etc lol.

p fandango
Friday 1st April 2011, 19:23
unless Adam does monthly payments etc lol.
wish he did lol

Jamest5r
Saturday 2nd April 2011, 20:25
Good day in the workshop, sub-frame out, no major grief, Smithy joined me in the afternoon for a couple of hours, whole job only 4hrs, hope the rest go the build goes as smoothly lol.

Yes t5pete that's your 18t no need to drop any more hints lol, put it up against the t35 for comparision.

t5 pete
Saturday 2nd April 2011, 20:30
Good day in the workshop, sub-frame out, no major grief, Smithy joined me in the afternoon for a couple of hours, whole job only 4hrs, hope the rest go the build goes as smoothly lol.

Yes t5pete that's your 18t no need to drop any more hints lol, put it up against the t35 for comparision.

Lol cheers buddy but im still gunna pester you till sunday its become a habbit lol.
In the first pic the 18t doesnt look too bad against the t35 but then in the second pic you can see how tiny the 18t looks lol.
And before you say it yes yours is bigger than myne pmsl

T5frankie
Saturday 2nd April 2011, 20:32

lucky sod, had better luck than me today then, how much modifying has to be done to mate it up?

Jamest5r
Saturday 2nd April 2011, 20:45
Lol cheers buddy but im still gunna pester you till sunday its become a habbit lol.
In the first pic the 18t doesnt look too bad against the t35 but then in the second pic you can see how tiny the 18t looks lol.
And before you say it yes yours is bigger than myne pmsl

Pmsl, if its raining here tomorrow we could meet as i wont be going to avon.

lucky sod, had better luck than me today then, how much modifying has to be done to mate it up?

Hardly any mate as Smithy had it built to fit his v70 with a s60r mani, just a new oil line to run and a oil rtn pipe to fabricate as the numpty has lost the original he had made lol.

t5 pete
Saturday 2nd April 2011, 21:10
Pmsl, if its raining here tomorrow we could meet as i wont be going to avon.

Hardly any mate as Smithy had it built to fit his v70 with a s60r mani, just a new oil line to run and a oil rtn pipe to fabricate as the numpty has lost the original he had made lol.

Thats brilliant james im gunna be doing the rain dance all night now lol

Jamest5r
Saturday 2nd April 2011, 21:15
Thats brilliant james im gunna be doing the rain dance all night now lol

That's not very nice lol, im praying for a dry day so i can see Claymore's car whine and Frankie's 850 go faster than his V70R lol

t5 pete
Saturday 2nd April 2011, 21:16
That's not very nice lol, im praying for a dry day so i can see Claymore's car whine and Frankie's 850 go faster than his V70R lol

PMSL im sure it will be good weather its been nice today

Alan M
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 21:00
Raining on and off down here though.

Jamest5r
Wednesday 13th April 2011, 19:39
Been waiting for this moment for loooooong time........

JelT5
Wednesday 13th April 2011, 19:43
Nice one James :)

p fandango
Wednesday 13th April 2011, 20:15
nice one, the rubber glove fetish is a bit scarey tho lol

AndysR
Wednesday 13th April 2011, 20:47
Sweet, got to love shiney clean new parts. Especially when they are better than standard :)

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 13th April 2011, 21:38
Looking the absolute business James, give it a weekends work and you'll be up and running. I really hope the cost and effort works out and provides a decent end product. At least if nothing else the T5R will live for another 15 years and 200k!

T5frankie
Wednesday 13th April 2011, 21:46
looks the tits mate you got to run it in for a certain distance?

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 14th April 2011, 00:43
may we ask how much for the forging etc processes. I assume it has all new infernals?

Jamest5r
Saturday 14th May 2011, 23:13
Just a quick update.....it's all done bar a section of pipe from the bottom of the IC upwards and then i can try and start it tomorrow :) will need the T/B to IC and turbo to IC pipe's properly fabricated as its got too many joins in it to ever hope holding 1.7 bar but i can put a few miles on it in the mean time off boost to see how it goes for the shake down.

T5frankie
Saturday 14th May 2011, 23:50
Just a quick update.....it's all done bar a section of pipe from the bottom of the IC upwards and then i can try and start it tomorrow :) will need the T/B to IC and turbo to IC pipe's properly fabricated as its got too many joins in it to ever hope holding 1.7 bar but i can put a few miles on it in the mean time off boost to see how it goes for the shake down.

1.7 bar..............nice

martybelfastt5
Sunday 15th May 2011, 15:13
tasty,,,,,,

The Flying Moose
Sunday 15th May 2011, 17:03
Any more pictures James?

Jamest5r
Sunday 15th May 2011, 17:08
It's Alive :)

Volvostorm
Sunday 15th May 2011, 17:10

That's great! :banana:

I can't wait till I can post those words!

The Flying Moose
Sunday 15th May 2011, 17:15

Nice one james, now go out enjoy it and get a video posted!

T5frankie
Sunday 15th May 2011, 17:18
is that all you can say "its alive" come on mate details?

t5 pete
Sunday 15th May 2011, 17:29
looking good james

Jamest5r
Sunday 15th May 2011, 17:33
is that all you can say "its alive" come on mate details?

Sorry no pics as been too busy filling the swear jar, got a leak from one of the water feeds to the turbo so that's got to be changed and it wont start by turning the key a throw back to the manual conversion it will fire straight up if you cross a wire from the starter to the battery so might just get a button starter and do it that way but waiting for my auto elec mate to have a look as he done the original work on the conversion but not too bothered if thats the only problems there is after the amount of work thats been done.
Just got to stick a few miles on it change the oil and filter the get it mapped.

T5frankie
Sunday 15th May 2011, 17:38
Sorry no pics as been too busy filling the swear jar, got a leak from one of the water feeds to the turbo so that's got to be changed and it wont start by turning the key a throw back to the manual conversion it will fire straight up if you cross a wire from the starter to the battery so might just get a button starter and do it that way but waiting for my auto elec mate to have a look as he done the original work on the conversion but not too bothered if thats the only problems there is after the amount of work thats been done.
Just got to stick a few miles on it change the oil and filter the get it mapped.
first impressions?

Jamest5r
Sunday 15th May 2011, 17:54
Not driven it yet mate its still on axle stands and when i do i wont go above 2500rpm till its mapped so knowing me and the timescale it will probably be done the sat i go to York lol.

smithy
Sunday 15th May 2011, 18:31
its ALIVE weldone james apart from that dam top water pipe witch i will sort tomorrow for you she is nearly there

T5frankie
Sunday 15th May 2011, 18:32
its ALIVE weldone james apart from that dam top water pipe witch i will sort tomorrow for you she is nearly there

only one more working weekend to go chaps

Jamest5r
Sunday 15th May 2011, 18:39
only one more working weekend to go chaps

Smithy works nights so he has everyday free to do his car, dont know when the bloke sleeps lol but as he says "i will sleep when im dead" too much to do to bother with sleeping lol.

smithy
Sunday 15th May 2011, 18:58
Smithy works nights so he has everyday free to do his car, dont know when the bloke sleeps lol but as he says "i will sleep when im dead" too much to do to bother with sleeping lol.

sleep is for cats 4hrs does me fine and catch up on a saturday night so my car will be finished by sunday its just basic bolting together for mine.so after work tonight i will go straight to james garage and sort the water pipe out.

the young mechanic
Sunday 15th May 2011, 19:13
and i will help with your car

smithy
Sunday 15th May 2011, 19:17
and i will help with your car

dont worry jack you will helping me and i will be teaching you even though you know most of the stuff already at the age of 13 ,i wish i had that when i was your age