PDA

View Full Version : Bloody Oil dipstick!!!

LeeT5
Sunday 6th December 2009, 23:32
Who would of thought such a small thing could cause me such grief!?
I had to have my car recovered the other night because i could smell oil. Pulled over and opened the bonnet to find my engine covered in 0w/30. Not happy!
Due to the fact it was dark and not having a torch i had no idea what was wrong. I had no choice but to get her recovered home on the back of a truck.
Once i had looked at the engine in the morning i quickly realised that the problem was the dipstick. Basically the seal had gone hard and was not making a good seal. Due to crankcase pressure, about half a pint of engine oil had been pushed up the dipstick tube (probably when braking, then accelerating) and sprayed out all over the engine. I ordered a new (modified) dipstick and tube from Volvo - £34. The new unit comes with Two 'O' rings, not one. I fitted it at the dealer and then drove to a garage to jet wash my engine. This was about 4 days ago. Since then everything has been fine and the dipstick now is incredibly hard to pull out....a massive improvement.

I recommend all V/S/C70 drivers who only have the single seal type dipstick to order and fit the new one. Don't wait for your oil to spray out over the engine....a bloody nightmare and a pain in the arse to clean off.

Part No's are...9497554 - Pipe. 9497557 - Dipstick.

Don't order just the dipstick because the tube wears too at the top where the seal rubs.

;)

C70 GTT5
Sunday 6th December 2009, 23:43
I bet you about had a heart attack when you saw the oil everywere!
glad you sorted it though :)

LeeT5
Monday 7th December 2009, 00:09
I bet you about had a heart attack when you saw the oil everywere!
glad you sorted it though :)

I was well pissed off, especially as i had only last week replaced my PCV system.

Chuffed it was nothing serious.

phil_woods
Monday 7th December 2009, 01:29
how did you get on cleaning the engine? I have had many problems which have been well covered on here after I cleaned mine with a jet wash. New dizzy, rotor arm, coil, ht leads, spark plugs, bcs and also MAF mine is well sorted now but I wont ever do it again. Have you had any side effects? or did you do it properly like I didnt?lol

LeeT5
Monday 7th December 2009, 15:25
Mine is ME7 so i don't have dizzy cap, rotor arm, HT leads. Used a whole can of degreaser and then jet washed the entire engine. No side effects whatsoever...just a clean engine;)