PDA

View Full Version : car ramps & general jacking questions

nick
Sunday 6th December 2009, 12:04
as a volvo newbie i have a couple of quick questions regarding ramps etc.

1. does anyone have any recommendations regarding car ramps. there is no chance of a standard ramp working given the limited front ground clearance on my 855R

2. i am after a good jack and pair of axle stands - again, any recommendations ?

Tomcat
Sunday 6th December 2009, 13:07
Get the lowest 2 tonne jack you can find, otherwise you'll have to lift the car in stage like I do, if you get a low one you can put it under the front of the car on the subframe and jack it straight up. Axle stands are your own choice really, just make sure they're sturdy and have a decent platform on top to hold the car.

Flatout Phil
Sunday 6th December 2009, 16:17
The best you can afford!

I have always fancied one of those air-jacks that my tyre man uses - made by Seeley I think. And with a price tag to match.

With axle stands, avoid flimsy ones like the plague - also those with a pin. I have some lovely ones with a self-locking ratchet system - but they are in the locked shed at the end of a muddy garden and its dark and I can't remember the manufacturer. They are a four post with flat plates on the leg ends. The rising part is a heavy steel U-section with toothed edges that interlock with a hefty U-bolt. Think they must be Melco or Webber or similar - but bought from a local motor factor.

phil_woods
Sunday 6th December 2009, 19:13
I got a superb jack from cosco. It is a massive 5 tonner I think with a huge handle and it's really low to fit under my car. It cost me £80 bargain!

Jod T5
Sunday 6th December 2009, 23:06
I got a superb jack from cosco. It is a massive 5 tonner I think with a huge handle and it's really low to fit under my car. It cost me £80 bargain!

Bargain...
The long handle versions are worth their weight in gold..

Jod

Redbrick
Sunday 6th December 2009, 23:15
http://www.restorationramps.co.uk/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/ramps?opendocument&part=3

half way down the page. Not cheap but very good.

nick
Monday 7th December 2009, 08:44
they do look good - i like the idea of them folding away for storage too

might be an xmas present to myself...

i need to look at getting a cosco card - is it worth the membership fee ?

jez.w
Monday 7th December 2009, 13:18
I use ramps with 2 short scaffold boards to make the ramps less steep. Also any trolley jack 1.5 or 2 tonne should fit under car. Ramps are best for oil changes and dont cost as much as you think.

T5ER
Monday 7th December 2009, 13:24
i am looking for a airbag jack, will fit under anything