PDA

View Full Version : TRACS & ABS lights on - No codes!

sebasteeno
Friday 4th December 2009, 15:29
My brothers V70 T5 P1 has got both the TRACS and ABS lights on but when plugged into the code reader it shows no codes. Now i may be imagining it but have i read somewhere that the it could be caused by a faulty ignition barrel as his has had it and the key needs to be in a certain position to gets the headlights on?

siamblue
Friday 4th December 2009, 17:36
Some cheaper code readers do not show, ABS or AC faults, only engine faults.

HTH Gary

Flatout Phil
Friday 4th December 2009, 17:50
Wonky ABS controller. Check the multiplicity of threads on the subject for info. Mine came on today because it is December and they look festive on dashboard. :santawave

sebasteeno
Friday 4th December 2009, 17:57
Some cheaper code readers do not show, ABS or AC faults, only engine faults.

HTH GaryTwas the VPCUK code reader which registered the ABS fault on mine

sebasteeno
Friday 4th December 2009, 17:58
Wonky ABS controller. Check the multiplicity of threads on the subject for info. Mine came on today because it is December and they look festive on dashboard. :santawave

Is this the re-soldering job ive read so much about?

Dangerous Dave
Friday 4th December 2009, 18:09
Resoldering the ABS ecu is worth a try, as it will probably be on its way out anyway.

I've done mine, and when my dad bought his 850 the abs and tracs lights were on, and the resoldering did the trick.

Flatout Phil
Friday 4th December 2009, 19:42
You could resolder, but you can get a guaranteed repair from one or two Ebayers for about £70 which is OK.

sebasteeno
Friday 4th December 2009, 19:59
Is there a 'how to' on doint this as my bro is a sparky and has access to a soldering iron?

Dangerous Dave
Friday 4th December 2009, 22:02
£70!!! For some guy to break the top off and run a bit of solder in the joints? Bloody rip off.

Mind you, I wouldn't think twice about doing it, but for someone who doesn't have the know how i suppose its a service. Still expensive though.

Tomcat
Saturday 5th December 2009, 01:00
My brothers V70 T5 P1 has got both the TRACS and ABS lights on but when plugged into the code reader it shows no codes. Now i may be imagining it but have i read somewhere that the it could be caused by a faulty ignition barrel as his has had it and the key needs to be in a certain position to gets the headlights on?

You can get a faulty ignition switch will give similar problems, I had one on an old 850 do it. If you start the car and then turn the key back ever so slightly and the lights go out then you need a new switch, you should also notice that some systems won't work on the car until you do (Lights etc..). If it's not that then it could well be the ABS controller that needs re soldering, however, IIRC codes should be coming up if it is that.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 15:46
I still repair ABS units.

flyingbrick
Tuesday 8th December 2009, 16:03
You can get a faulty ignition switch will give similar problems, I had one on an old 850 do it. If you start the car and then turn the key back ever so slightly and the lights go out then you need a new switch, you should also notice that some systems won't work on the car until you do (Lights etc..). If it's not that then it could well be the ABS controller that needs re soldering, however, IIRC codes should be coming up if it is that.
Sorry for the hijack Seb.........

Hi Craig. Thats whats happening on mine Ive got used now. Like you said I just have to turn the key back a tiny bit for the lights to go out........
So you say its only a faulty switch.....

roy chu
Friday 18th December 2009, 18:49
Anyone remember this, I got my mate to take my unit out, open it and I tackled the rest.... 4 years later, sold the car and not a problem.

It high lights the problem areas. I know posts are hard to find sometimes so I might as well put a refresher up.

kevin4878
Friday 18th December 2009, 19:00

my car has the exact same prob , yet something to add to the seemingly ever growing list, READVIEWS, here i come

cameron
Friday 18th December 2009, 20:47
Is there a 'how to' on doint this as my bro is a sparky and has access to a soldering iron?

Hope this helps Seb Buddy :D

V70 ABS ECU REPAIR (http://www.freewebs.com/dacvolvo/absrepair.htm)

Tomcat
Friday 18th December 2009, 21:57
Sorry for the hijack Seb.........

Hi Craig. Thats whats happening on mine Ive got used now. Like you said I just have to turn the key back a tiny bit for the lights to go out........
So you say its only a faulty switch.....

Yeah it's just a faulty ignition switch, it's just screwed onto the back of the barrell,easy peasy to change.