PDA

View Full Version : checking alarm horn

nick
Thursday 3rd December 2009, 12:50
is there a way of checking the alarm horn ?. all seems to be working as far as remote central locking / indicator flash goes but no alarm sound. checked the connection - visually seems OK.

any ideas ?. can i remove from car and put 12V across it to check ?

thanks,

nick

Tomcat
Thursday 3rd December 2009, 12:53
Don't see why you can't put twelve volts to it, I had a similar problem on my last car and it turned out that the horn was knackered.

nick
Thursday 3rd December 2009, 13:27
any idea of part number ?

Tomcat
Thursday 3rd December 2009, 13:55
Be cheaper to just buy a second hand one.

Flatout Phil
Thursday 3rd December 2009, 13:58
Nothing worse than losing your horn.

I would run 12v across it. Or else hold down the 'panic button' on your for (the narrow strip beneath the main button and if it is going to sound, it will.

Get a nice loud, neighbour irritating one.

You could also set the alarm, then open the car with the key - that will trigger the alarm for definite.

nick
Thursday 3rd December 2009, 14:09
the panic alarm only flashes the indicators as does using the key. best guess is that my horn is knackered (fnarrr)....

i will put 12V across it and check - if no joy then i'll get a working S/H one

Hallsy
Thursday 3rd December 2009, 16:35
Yep, sounds like mine - nackered, lol!

Does it look like it has fallen apart? Mine has a stud through it, that looks like it once had something bolted to it, to make up the rest of the horn mech.

nick
Thursday 3rd December 2009, 16:39
it is rather strange i must admit - the central stud looks way too long and sticks through by 20-30mm. if something was supposed to be there - that may explain the lack of sound !!

has anyone got a photo of a working horn (i can't write this with it sounding dodgy !!)
) ?

Flatout Phil
Thursday 3rd December 2009, 16:39
Yep, sounds like mine - nackered, lol!

Does it look like it has fallen apart? Mine has a stud through it, that looks like it once had something bolted to it, to make up the rest of the horn mech.

Blimey I thought is was only Germans who put studs through their horns? Saw it on Eurotrash.

Seriously though, the standard alarm is a weedy affair.

Tomcat
Thursday 3rd December 2009, 16:53
Sounds like the front has been taken off it.

nick
Thursday 3rd December 2009, 18:02
yeah - looking at it again there does seem to be half of it missing. should there be a black domed part on the front ? (seem to remember seeing a picture of one a while ago)

mine is just a flat plate with a threaded stud sticking out of the centre. the connector is still there and in place

better start looking for a S/H one - anyone got one ?

T5ER
Thursday 3rd December 2009, 18:15
wont a standard disc type horn fit ??? if so iirc they are about £7.00