PDA

View Full Version : T4 Hesitation

Sihayton
Wednesday 2nd December 2009, 10:19
At low speeds my T4 has a hesitation. It feels like it's holding the car back at times and other times it's not as noticable. Any ideas?

The car sometimes starts a bit weakly, could these be connected?

wegal
Wednesday 2nd December 2009, 10:54
Start with the basics.... spark plugs first, take em out and have a look, if they look old or damaged then replace them.

Weak starting is generally lack of spark, weak battery or weak spark plugs, this cold weather will show weak batterys up big time, so if your plugs are ok, then get you battery tested under load.

After that.... get the codes read.

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 2nd December 2009, 11:21
Air filter, plugs and leads, coil/distributor, cruddy injectors, not using V-Power or similar 99 octane fuel (not a fan of 97 octane on these cars - usually supermarket super unleaded: although I understand Tesco now do a 99 octane in some areas).

Air leaks on the induction system may cause these issues too.

Sihayton
Wednesday 2nd December 2009, 11:23
Thanks for that, gonna get stuff ordered and changed then hopefully that'll sort it

Sihayton
Wednesday 2nd December 2009, 11:26
Air filter, plugs and leads, coil/distributor, cruddy injectors, not using V-Power or similar 99 octane fuel (not a fan of 97 octane on these cars - usually supermarket super unleaded: although I understand Tesco now do a 99 octane in some areas).

Air leaks on the induction system may cause these issues too.

It's always filled with V-Power. We've not got a lot of choice up here so it's either that or crappy supermarket garbage which is going no where near it.

I've got a few points to start checking on it so hopefully can get to the bottom of it soon.

Thanks for the help guys

Midnightt4
Wednesday 2nd December 2009, 22:47
Check coil packs.

Mine used to do this and turned out to be a faulty connection on coil pack cyl no 3

Sihayton
Wednesday 9th December 2009, 13:31
Well it turns out the battery was goosed. Fitted a new one and no more hesitation. Still need to change plugs but it's running nicely now.

Thanks for the pointers