PDA

View Full Version : Leaving a car for 2 months sitting up.

siamblue
Monday 13th June 2005, 02:47
As most of you know, I am going away for 2 months as from the 9th July,
What i am worried about is how to store my car, Some people said it will be fine for this amount of time, But i am worried about the battery going flat and the car then not being alarmed, The car is off road on my drive so it is safe,
I am thinking more of seized brakes, Or do i let someone borrow it for a couple of months?
Someone did say take the battery out or just unplug it, But then it wouldn't be alarmed but the deadlocks would be activated.

Gary.

wright_t5
Monday 13th June 2005, 06:34
Why don't you buy one of those "solar" powered battery backup devices, around £20 from Halfords and other similar places, they should keep the battery alive for that amount of time... or get someone you trust to run it around once or twice a week just to keep things moving...

mraldonnelly
Monday 13th June 2005, 11:41
Hi Gary,

Don't leave the hand brake on. leave it off and chock the wheels. You could always leave it in gear but I'm not sure if this has any potential ill effect.

As for the battery, in two months it may not fully flatten. Why not give it a charge before laying the car up and then hoping the battery lasts. If it does flatten then hopefully it will take (and hold) a charge again when you return.

The solar conditioner is a good idea though.

As for the alarm, they're pretty useless anyway to be honest. Not many people check to see what's going on when a car alarm is activated.

Another option is a wheel clamp but again, protection is limited.

Regards

Andy

pyrotechnictigger
Monday 13th June 2005, 12:15
Left mine stood for 6 weeks last year while on holiday. Got home and the first thing I did was start the beast. First time without a cough much to my critical father in laws displeasure. His ST170 is back in the dealers, again:)

Take the rotor arm out for peace of mind :anmflower

The Flying Banana
Monday 13th June 2005, 12:21
Chock the wheels, leave the handbrake off, i would deadlock it then take out battery and fuel pump fuse, even if someone was to stick a battery in it and it didnt start straight away they would peed off trying. For complete peace of mind ( albeit a bit radical ) I used to have a Sierra Cosworth and in the driveway i had an iron eyelet cemented into the ground..when i knew i was going away i would simply chain the back end to the ground...crude but very effective!!!

k690bpp
Monday 13th June 2005, 18:01
i'll pop round and have a look if it's still there gary :remybussi

siamblue
Monday 13th June 2005, 20:50
Cheers K Much appreciated, I will get a cover and put it over her, Plus chock the wheels,
To be honest i would rather stay here and go to the Avon Park meet,

splatt
Monday 13th June 2005, 20:59
Only danger with a cover is that as the wind blows it about you might find scratches appear...unless its covered and garaged.
Had a similar prob unless the cover has a nice soft lining...dont buy a cheapo one.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 14th June 2005, 00:19
If you are leaving in the battery I would remove the coil lead - easiest way to disable ignition IMHO. Just take off the negative lead off the battery - I am fairly sure it will not discharge in that short period.

vt5
Wednesday 15th June 2005, 00:35
Just what i was thinking Dave.

Take battery out and store it. It may go flat regardless with no use.

Your brakes if not covered up will seize up slightly (discs will rust with rain) but with a loud crack will free themselves off again when you set off, but set off very slowly on a crawl to free them off.

Dont worry about the alarm aspect. If you are worried about theft, remove something that the car will not run without yet looks like everything is normal, rotor arm is always a good one.

Cover your car with a car cover.

Scratches.......dont worry about them most car covers are designed to be used without scratching your car.

siamblue
Wednesday 15th June 2005, 01:55
Thanks everyone for allof your input, I haven't got a cover so will look for a decent one, As i can use it in the winter too.

Regards Gary

lance
Wednesday 15th June 2005, 10:59
Best option I reckon is lend it someone you trust to keep it running and take it for a 20 mile spin once a week!

vt5
Thursday 16th June 2005, 21:14
That brings back memories.

My mate did that with his £10K BMW 535

Left to a friend Friday night written off Friday night within 10 miles of journeys start......

Ha ha we all laugh about it now.

M44K TS
Thursday 16th June 2005, 23:31
i left my mini for 6 months without being touched, just left it in gear with no handbrake and took off the battery negative, the battery went flat, but a quick jump start it fired back into life within one turn of the starter, took it for a spin, there was a bit of smoke but nothing a bit redex sorted out and that was a Mini. I dare say 2 months, i'd only leave the handbrake off and maybe a car cover (halfrauds do some decent ones and are huge but don't scratch the car at all)

siamblue
Friday 17th June 2005, 09:58
I have decided to declare SORN at the end of this month, I am going to miss her like mad, Will take the battery out and leave her in gear, Have to buy a cover now though but will be handy in the winter too,

Gary, Thanks again everyone.

Babybadger
Monday 20th June 2005, 14:27
You are welcome to leave it with me for the weekly start and aircon run. Based in sidcup kent!

Straker
Monday 20th June 2005, 21:52
We leave development cars untouched for months at work (Ford Dunton). Yes the battery's go flat and the brakes get rusty but a quick re-charge and a couple of uses of the brakes and all is well again.

To be on the safe side the cover (for protection) and removal of the battery (security) sound like a good idea.