PDA

View Full Version : where to buy.............

Misty
Tuesday 1st December 2009, 23:28
hi there
we got our volvo 850 estate last week,
the wiper switch needs replacing and the clutch plate does too
(a mates hubby told us he has trained as a mechanic etc but it isnt his job)
anyway i was wondering where i can look for these things? i have found (i think) the correct wiper switch on ebay for around £15 inc p&p
which ive emailed to ask if its for the estate but its the clutch im not sure about, ive found something called a clutch kit but am unsure of if this is what we are in need of?
(my mates hubby will be fitting not us, as we have 3 kids and would rather it was done by someone who knows what theyre doing)
thanks in advance for any help posted :)

Misty
Tuesday 1st December 2009, 23:33
not sure if it helps but when i put registration into mycarcheck it says it is
Volvo 850 Se (Estate)

orse
Tuesday 1st December 2009, 23:45
It is more worth while fitting a clutch kit rather than just a plate.Aslong as the kit is for the same size engine as your car then it will be the one you require. i.e if your 850 is a 2.5 non turbo you need a clutch kit for a 2.5 non turbo.

Misty
Wednesday 2nd December 2009, 08:12
ah brill, thanks for that.
well it is the kit i have seen on ebay
it is just under £200, we have been told it should last a little bit as long as he doesnt "rag it like a boy racer" lol
so i can save for a couple of months and get one of the kits i have seen once ive got the cash.
thank you for your help once again.

p.s. the wiper stalk i have seen on ebay, is for a volvo 850 we were told to ask if its for an estate, the reply i got was as listing states its for a volvo 850 :s

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 2nd December 2009, 08:54
£200 sounds too much.

Try
www.partforvolvosonline.com (http://www.partforvolvosonline.com) or www.gsfcarparts.com (http://www.gsfcarparts.com) or www.eurocarparts.com (http://www.eurocarparts.com)

They do clutch kits a lot cheaper, and have different brands available (depending on quality).

The wiper stalk for an estate should have the rear wiper switch on it, found one here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-850-ESTATE-WIPER-INSTRUMENT-STALK_W0QQitemZ350286310904QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C arsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item518eb0edf8

HTH

Bomb

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 2nd December 2009, 10:26
Being a Volvo bore, I would go through Simon at FRF Volvo in Swansea (do a search on this forum for Rufe) - Volvo stuff will just work better and last longer IMHO and he does good mail order discounts if you say you are from VPCUK.

Misty
Wednesday 2nd December 2009, 14:02
thanks have contacted rufe :)

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 2nd December 2009, 15:04
thanks have contacted rufe :)

I should add that the clutch in my 850 T5 (which has led a hard driven life) has lasted and lasted, so the clutch you have may last longer than you think unless it is actually slipping under load. Clutches often make a squawk on take-up on 850s because of a slight oil leak on the engine's rear-seal not a major issue as such. But if you get a new clutch fitted, you really should get a new rear-oil-seal put in at the same time, they only cost a few quid and it is a MEGA EASY job whilst the clutch is off.

It all depends what you paid for the car, but honestly it is sometimes cheaper to sell on and buy a sorted car for the same sort of money! The market is swamped with 850 at the moment and you could pick up a well-specced 850 2.5 CD or GLE for about £500 - £750. A T5 is not significantly more expensive to run than a 2.5 if you get a manual and don't do a huge mileage and is A LOT OF FUN for the money.

If you have young kids, there is a LOT to be said for a wipe down leather interior. I should know.

:B_steerin

Misty
Wednesday 17th February 2010, 16:22
thanks for that,
well the time has come we have decided to sell her on, either for breaking or as a car.
i want to keep a volvo as ive always been told a volvo is the safest car you can drive and being an "over-protective"? mum of 3 i need to feel they are safe whenever we travel.
we want something that doesnt cost so much on fuel though, will this be possible? we regularly travl to leeds and barnsley and it costs us £30 round trip where as other cars weve had only cost £20 i know its only a tenner more but it all counts.
we'd love something with a decent sized boot(want to start camping this year, bought all gear last year)