PDA

View Full Version : Finding out my true mileage!

woody
Tuesday 1st December 2009, 10:29
Hi all. I bought my 855-R 8 years ago with unrecorded mileage. Touch wood, she's never let me down. My question is, is there any way of interrogating the ECU to find its true mileage?

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 1st December 2009, 11:16
Hi all. I bought my 855-R 8 years ago with unrecorded mileage. Touch wood, she's never let me down. My question is, is there any way of interrogating the ECU to find its true mileage?

Ask Rufe - but probably not. Assuming it was a 5 year old car when you got it, it is worth checking with Volvo if they have a service history for it. That woud have the last recorded mileage.

Tomcat
Tuesday 1st December 2009, 11:32
I'm sure I've heard before that the mileage is stored on the ECU, but I guess you'd need to go to a dealer to get it read.

cameron
Tuesday 1st December 2009, 19:45
Think you'd have to go off old Mot's etc.

T5ER
Tuesday 1st December 2009, 19:48
cant go off mot`s, just incase somebody has replaced the dash at some point, woody i cant remember of a way of checking the ecu but i know that volvo records from when it was new will show correct millage up untill it stopped going to them , then you maybe able to work it out. I did it for t5 owner as he asked me for info on his motor and i even told him that it was a cat c or d accident damage

Hunter
Tuesday 1st December 2009, 20:08
I don't know about the 855R, but my S60R can be interrogated to find the true mileage (although it displays in kilometres) with the right computer plugged into the (OBD-II / EOBD?) port under the dash.

cookie
Tuesday 1st December 2009, 20:15
I don't know about the 855R, but my S60R can be interrogated to find the true mileage (although it displays in kilometres) with the right computer plugged into the (OBD-II?) port under the dash.

Post 99MY when ME7 introduced, the ECU is locked to clocks, so you can't swap ECU's like the 4.4/4.3's

I would assume that you cannot get mileage from ECU and even if you could it would still be meaningless, as who's to say it has origional ECU??

woody
Wednesday 2nd December 2009, 09:03
Thanks for all the replies. It's not that important; it's just a matter of curiosity really. I bought the car in c2002 and it had 47k on it. The electronic gismo that controls the mileage had just been replaced (allegedly) and it's clocked away happily ever since. I was told it had stopped working around 4 years prior to me buying it and the dealer guesstimated that it was at around 80k. She's now c180k and still as strong as ever!

PS. One thing makes me think that it my have been disconnected though. As it was an ex Tax Free car from Germany (British forces) When I was out there, it wasn't uncommon to hear of people disconnecting Speedo systems to maintain resale values!

ShadeTek
Friday 4th December 2009, 11:58
The early 850's with the diagnostic pods in the engine were able to read ECU mileage. I can't remember the exact instructions, but it involved reading flash codes from the LED. Worth investigating.

streaky744
Saturday 5th December 2009, 12:00
you can also check milage free online through vosa that is related to mot's etc and the cars records should show if the mileage has ever suddenly had any huge changes in the wrong direction in an attempt to hide its true mileage. also it shows records of what car failed mot's on etc. but only dates back to when mot's went to there current format that is done online and live

came in useful when we checked a car for a friend recently that turned out to be mot'd twice in one week. first mot it failed with 137k on the clocks. second mot it passed with 87k on the clock!! needless to say we reported seller.