PDA

View Full Version : Wiring in place? NOT!!!

Niles
Monday 30th November 2009, 14:50
For all those who say that all 850's have the wiring in place for such things as rear electric windows and electric seats on a car that hasn't got 'leccy bits.....

THERE IS NO WIRING IN PLACE!!!!! Volvo DID NOT leave a loom in the car for 'retro fitting' rear windows etc etc.....If you want to retro fit the seats & rear windows you'll need the loom from a car that did have those bits in place from the factory. I've read here that lots of people say 'yes, sure, the wirings in place & a retro fit upgrade is easy', HOGWASH!!!! Its not there & will take lots of removal from car & refitting to car. Nightmare!!!
Anyone doubts my comments, get to my house & take a look at a CD spec car & a GLT spec car. Wiring in very different & NO wiring for seats under seats & no plugs for electric rear windows. :wallbash:

Flatout Phil
Monday 30th November 2009, 15:28
For all those who say that all 850's have the wiring in place for such things as rear electric windows and electric seats on a car that hasn't got 'leccy bits.....

THERE IS NO WIRING IN PLACE!!!!! Volvo DID NOT leave a loom in the car for 'retro fitting' rear windows etc etc.....If you want to retro fit the seats & rear windows you'll need the loom from a car that did have those bits in place from the factory. I've read here that lots of people say 'yes, sure, the wirings in place & a retro fit upgrade is easy', HOGWASH!!!! Its not there & will take lots of removal from car & refitting to car. Nightmare!!!
Anyone doubts my comments, get to my house & take a look at a CD spec car & a GLT spec car. Wiring in very different & NO wiring for seats under seats & no plugs for electric rear windows. :wallbash:

Makes complete sense really because cost margins on these things are kept very tight and the simpler the loom the better. If only 10% of production is on the luxury model, no manufacturer will fit the 90% that don't have the bling with an expensive loom. I had a Hillman Imp (wellseveral) and in 1969 when Chrysler bought the Rootes Group, amongst several cost cutting measures including removal of heaters as a standard oprion on base models, they actually reduced the thickness of panel steel! This is why any true Impster will only ever want a pre 69 car. Oh God, I though this was an Imp forum for a moment - help!!!!!!

p fandango
Monday 30th November 2009, 18:13
i know the wiring for the electric from seats isn't in & have said so on the forum before, i've no idea on the rear windows. The funny thing is the wiring for the ultra rare heated rear seats is there

nobananas
Monday 30th November 2009, 19:03
Don't understand some of the Volvo specs sometimes. Mine is a GLT WITH electric rear windows, climate control, front fogs, cruise control etc. The only thing I haven't got is heated rear seats, sunroof and tracs.

Niles
Monday 30th November 2009, 21:53
Don't understand some of the Volvo specs sometimes. Mine is a GLT WITH electric rear windows, climate control, front fogs, cruise control etc. The only thing I haven't got is heated rear seats, sunroof and tracs.

yep weird coz my GLT has a leccy sunroof & Tracs. No rear seat heating but the wiring is there for the seat warmers. Bloody odd eh?

Clan998
Monday 30th November 2009, 23:27
I had a Hillman Imp (wellseveral) and in 1969 when Chrysler bought the Rootes Group, amongst several cost cutting measures including removal of heaters as a standard oprion on base models, they actually reduced the thickness of panel steel! This is why any true Impster will only ever want a pre 69 car. Oh God, I though this was an Imp forum for a moment - help!!!!!!

pmsl :-) Well a volvo and Imp forum

cameron
Monday 30th November 2009, 23:33
My old CD spec must have been pretty rare then, it had air con and a sun roof, heated rear and front seats, passenger side airbag, and both front seats were electric.

I miss that car, it was lovely :cry:

RIP - N677 LUD

Rufe
Tuesday 1st December 2009, 14:42
most cars were built exactly to customer preference, so cd, glt, or whatever, can really mean very little, and we never use those codes from a parts point of view.

nobananas
Wednesday 2nd December 2009, 21:15
most cars were built exactly to customer preference, so cd, glt, or whatever, can really mean very little, and we never use those codes from a parts point of view.

Cheers Rufe, I did suspect that, assumably you could buy a base spec model then tick all the options list boxes until it was CD spec, but still end up with poverty spec badges on the back !

Volvostorm
Wednesday 2nd December 2009, 21:28
Like my 'S' but, it has full leather, duel air con, tracs, cruise, trip computer 4x leccy windows