PDA

View Full Version : Interesting fuel economy result D5 on a run ?

mas
Saturday 28th November 2009, 14:22
Lo all, im usually around the T5 sections as I have a T5 for interest and a 2002 S60 D5 auto for the work commute. I know we dont buy a perfomance Volvo's for ecomony but in this day and age a good result
( a real one not a trip computer dream one) is always welcome.

Mrs Mas had to go to Liverpool yesterday and obviously the D5 was the only option for a 420 mile round trip so she took 'my car'. It had a full tank less one journey home from work so it had a full tank - 1 gallon.

She did the 420 trip and filled up with 40 pounds worth of petrol after words.
Long and short of it is she clearly got at least 52 on this motorway run and around town she always hammers my fuel economy ( heavy footed cough).

I have not had 52 MPG out of my D5 in living memory even when I have driven super frugal deliberately for a whole tank to test it out so I'm a bit astounded TBH.

My work commute is a road and M11 combined with a bit of traffic either end and clearly D5's in an auto do not like the traffic bit that is clear. On my normal commuting I neve exceed 37MPG over a tank.

Has anyone else had a 'genuine' verified 52 plus on a run in a D5 auto ?

Cheers Mas

p fandango
Saturday 28th November 2009, 14:58
i normally get about 100mile to £10 out of my manual D5, thats a mixture of both long runs & the work run

Mrsmastiffs
Saturday 28th November 2009, 15:41
thats interesting that would be about 52 -53 maybe. Can I just ask how you canmeasure it if you put ten quid in ? . How do you find this out

Cheers Mas

p fandango
Saturday 28th November 2009, 15:51
thats interesting that would be about 52 -53 maybe. Can I just ask how you canmeasure it if you put ten quid in ? . How do you find this out
i normally put about £50-60 the begining of every month then just divide the mile between that. I only go down till the red light comes on as my computer tend s to lie (which is why i've ran out of diesel 3 times now lol) so calculate from there. This week i did have to put an extra £10 & did 85miles before the light came back on again, that was a week just to & from work which is off-peak city driving

Jaseb77
Sunday 29th November 2009, 12:18
" 420 trip and filled up with 40 pounds worth of petrol after words"

Maybe your D5 won't do 50 mpg now running on Petrol :)

Yes I have both T5 & D5, and no matter what is said I have halved my monthly fuel bill.

Liddo
Monday 30th November 2009, 09:44
My S60 D5 manual can average 52mpg easily.

The very 1st tank full, i got 800 out of it, but after that, Ive averaged 700-750.

The trip never drops below 47mpg

;)

cornclose
Monday 30th November 2009, 10:53
Yes but they're BORING....

:buttkick:

p fandango
Monday 30th November 2009, 18:16
Yes but they're BORING....

:buttkick:
must admit i drive the tractor like everyday is a Sunday. Its not as if its worth racing around in it so might as well clock up the MPG lol

C70 GTT5
Monday 30th November 2009, 18:36
one of my mates just bought a focus st an he came up to me an said i got 28mpg the other day an seemed well pleased with himself, i was thinking why worry about mpg if you do get a diesel! no harm in having both though it makes sence :)

p fandango
Monday 30th November 2009, 19:44
one of my mates just bought a focus st an he came up to me an said i got 28mpg the other day an seemed well pleased with himself, i was thinking why worry about mpg if you do get a diesel! no harm in having both though it makes sence :)
i've got new instruments for the T-5, i don't want to know (or care) what thats getting now lol

out of interest how does the Crocus compare speed/power wise to the C70?

p fandango
Saturday 5th December 2009, 09:34
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/7310/lgim0011h.jpg
average MPG over the whole 120mile journey

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/751/lgim0008q.jpg
the average was higher till i got off the motorway

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4706/lgim0004.jpg
& you won't see this displayed up on a T-5 dash lol

leet5r
Sunday 6th December 2009, 18:02
we went to crail the other week from sunderland and it as 197 miles from sunderland to crail (uo in scotland). and used less that a quarter of the tank we brimmed the tank and still had more than 3quarters left and that was in a p1 v70 t5 manual .with 3 grown men and a boot ful of stuff

Gouldy
Sunday 6th December 2009, 18:41
on my first tank of my D5 (52 plate s60) i averaged 41 and i dont drive steady, however i think on a steady run i would hit 50MPG easily, and tbh its no slouch at all!!

i can appreciate the T5 boys saying they are boring, but in the same respect so is a FWD high powered turbo car lol

leet5r
Sunday 6th December 2009, 19:06
on my first tank of my D5 (52 plate s60) i averaged 41 and i dont drive steady, however i think on a steady run i would hit 50MPG easily, and tbh its no slouch at all!!

i can appreciate the T5 boys saying they are boring, but in the same respect so is a FWD high powered turbo car lol

so ya bourght a oil burner

Liddo
Monday 7th December 2009, 11:39
Theres a lot to be said for the 5 Pot Oil Burner. Its a cracking engine, and sounds quite nice and once I get my 163bhp up'd to near 200, i wont feel the need for a petrol 5 pot anymore ;)

50mpg, in this current climate, makes me feel better than having the petrol grunt ;)

Gouldy
Monday 7th December 2009, 21:37
im looking to toy with mine, getting the tuning box, filter, and a custom FMIC (wish i kept my R32 GTR one)

then black mesh grille and some nice wheels, job done

mas
Sunday 13th December 2009, 12:06
Just thought I sjould update ( all be it late) , the missus HADNT filled the tank up , she had 'robbed' me of 2 gallons the sneeky beeky.

As a resut this means that the figure i was so amazed by was completely false. It would have in reality been about 43 off the top of my head.

Still far more than i get on my commute. It's clear to me
a) the manuals are far more economical in a D5
b) Auto D5's hate town driving , it really hammers htem for economy.

In my defence don't forget I do have a T5 also ! :P

Regards Mas

PaulZX
Sunday 13th December 2009, 12:11
lol I went to skeggy from cov (~110 miles) at 55.7mpg in the wife's Grand Scenic the other day.....

I don't wanna know what the T5 does it in..... :(

RobbieH
Sunday 13th December 2009, 16:36
On a recent run to Alps for summer hols, my V70 D5 EUIII (163) averaged (iirc) 40mpg over a 1999.7 mile total. That included steady 80-85mph on motorways but a couple of good blasts in the Alps (Alpe d'Huez to Col du Galibier and back via the Lauteret, plus Alpe d'Huez to Morzine). In general, I've never seen better than 41mpg average (and that's using checks via brimming the tank, etc) in all the time I've owned the barge (coming up on 3 years).

It's going to be interesting to see what the MTE remap does. At the moment I seemed to have grown a lead boot on my right foot but I guess you don't really buy a remap for the economy do you :mischievo. Saying that, from when I have been on the motorway and cruising the instantaneous mpg readout does seem to be higher than what I remember pre-remap by 3-4mpg. Time will tell I guess.

Gouldy
Sunday 13th December 2009, 17:01
my first tank i got 41 MPG and that wasnt steady driving, however my last tank i only got 31 heheh

p fandango
Sunday 13th December 2009, 20:20
only managed 600 from the last £70 which involved a 2 x 120mile runs then city driving for the rest of the month. Works out to 41.3mpg but i have noticed it seems to be thirstier lately, think she needs a check over & check the tyre pressures

cornclose
Sunday 13th December 2009, 20:23
Thirstier maybe because it's colder, generally...

p fandango
Sunday 13th December 2009, 20:30
Thirstier maybe because it's colder, generally...
i have had a play with a few things but was still expecting it to be more than the 41mpg, would the cold make a 5-10mpg difference? I do travel to work at 5am when its at its coldest

cornclose
Sunday 13th December 2009, 20:35
I suppose it depends on how short that cold run is. 5am is typically the trough in temperature, it doesn't usually get much colder after that. The cumulative effect of all that colder running could well make a significant impact. So it could be that.

p fandango
Sunday 13th December 2009, 20:38
I suppose it depends on how short that cold run is. 5am is typically the trough in temperature, it doesn't usually get much colder after that. The cumulative effect of all that colder running could well make a significant impact. So it could be that.
its only a 7 mile run each way to work

cornclose
Sunday 13th December 2009, 20:43
In that case I'd say the impact in colder weather is very significant then. Even when icey, my T5 is kicking heat out of the heater within 200 yds and I'm up to normal operating temperature (needle in the middle, ~86 deg.C) within 4-5 mins. It's the quickest warming up car I've ever owned by far.

Redbrick
Sunday 13th December 2009, 20:45
Cruising at 60 mph in a P2 is the same experience in a T5 or D5. Its just getting to that speed is a different experience. Personally I love the grunt of my RICA'd D5 and the lazy way I can drive it between 2k and 3.5k revs, T5's just require so much more effort. With Bilsteins, IPD sways, Nebula 18'' wheels it probably handles better than 99% of the T5's out there.

Yes I missed my 19T'd RICA 855R for a short while but I don't miss the fuel bills and no matter how hard I tried I could never get over 22mpg even when driving in A road traffic.

cornclose
Sunday 13th December 2009, 20:49
You wernt trying hard enough then. My long term average never drops below 29, and I do drive rapidly.

I specifically went for a rica tune on mine for the lower down grunt, and then I had rica do some more updates for me to give me even more low down grunt.

Anyway this isn't a T5 vs D5 economy debate, just musing as to why pedro's economy has dropped off recently.

p fandango
Sunday 13th December 2009, 21:17
Anyway this isn't a T5 vs D5 economy debate,
only because we all know which one would win that one hands down :bog: lol

just musing as to why pedro's economy has dropped off recently.
tractors do take quite alot longer to warm up than petrols, i think you could be right & the cold weather is keeping the temperature below the threshold & keeping the choke on for longer

cornclose
Sunday 13th December 2009, 21:40
Yeah, I reckon that's what it is. I've only ever owned one diseasal, so haven't lived with them for years, but every one I've been in in winter is just about warmed up when you've finished your journey!

p fandango
Sunday 13th December 2009, 21:46
every one I've been in in winter is just about warmed up when you've finished your journey!
tell me about it, & who thought it would be a good idea to fit non-heated full leather into a Massey Ferguson :mad:

Gouldy
Sunday 13th December 2009, 21:51
i think it depends on the brand of car and the coolant system tbh, my 4x4 (big 3.1TD) warms up in no time, yet the D5 takes FOREVER!

think it just depends on the car rather than the fueling method

RobbieH
Monday 14th December 2009, 09:22
Had my coolant system flushed and re-filled with new water/coolant mix recently. Made a significant difference to the time between turning the engine on and warm air kicking out of the vents.
From my service history (inc. Volvo dealer stuff from original owner) it had never been flushed and the coolant had only been changed once since new (Sept 04). Worth a try?

p fandango
Monday 14th December 2009, 09:42
Yeah, I reckon that's what it is. I've only ever owned one diseasal, so haven't lived with them for years, but every one I've been in in winter is just about warmed up when you've finished your journey!
right i watched the temperature gauge on the way in this morning. Hot air started kicking out of the heater vents 3mile in, with the gauge just over 1/4. & didn't reach full temp till 4.5mile in so it is remaining cold for quite a while

Murphy
Monday 14th December 2009, 10:38
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4706/lgim0004.jpg
& you won't see this displayed up on a T-5 dash lol

Should have got an Alfa ;) [60 litre tank]

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/Andyvrs/IMG_0652.jpg

:P

britten_mark
Tuesday 5th January 2010, 13:54
My 2.4JTD Alfa does 37mpg no matter what the lying computer says (one reason why it's going the journey.)

The other reason is it takes about 1/2 an hour to warm up, can't demist, and has non-heated leather iceblock seats.

I'm hopefully going back to Volvos and been looking at a D5 AWD, HOWEVER I recall my old T5 and V70R being the toastiest cars I've ever owned, if you got in the car soaked to the bone your clothes would be dry when you got out.

Q: If the D5s are not like that (or if all diesels are not like that) I'm going back to unleaded. Can someone with experience of both confirm for sure please???

richiemat
Tuesday 5th January 2010, 14:11
There is a big difference in the warm up time between the petrol and diseasal (i have both). 3-4 miles before heat comes out is what i experience in my D5, the heated seats are usually hot well before then. Point of possible interest is that I have noticed that when on Auto demist the heat takes longer to come out which could be because of the aircon, when demist and aircon is switched off and when heat is directed to mid zone and footwell it is perceivably warmer.

T5 will warm up on the drive, clearing the screen with heat in a minute or three in most cases prior to driving off it just does half the economy of the diseasal, but we're not that interested in economy are we?

Barnsley-Bill
Tuesday 5th January 2010, 14:28
I'm lucky to get above 20 mpg but then I didnt get a T5 for fuel economy.
Carbon footprint my ar*e.

britten_mark
Wednesday 6th January 2010, 14:51
Very useful info Richie, thanks, I'm rapidly going off the diesel idea.