PDA

View Full Version : actuator

jadblobs
Friday 27th November 2009, 15:53
how tight should the actuator be I just checked mine to see if this why im lacking in boost, i pulled the rod and it moved very easy and made a grating squeaking noise, sorry if this sounds silly but its been a long time since ive owned a turbo car!
Jad

irf
Friday 27th November 2009, 17:35
when the actuator is off it should only need to be pulled a mm or 2 to fit. if it's tighter you'll probably get a stronger mid range but it'll start feeling flat at the top end.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 27th November 2009, 19:54
Got a quick question....

Why does the boost tail off if the actuator rod is tighter?

irf
Friday 27th November 2009, 20:11
from what i know which i admit is very little, when you start upping the boost, lets say on a standard map, the car will try and protect itself. with a tight actuator you'll be hitting a certain boost which the ecu can do nothing about so the car will retard the ignition which itself is pretty much as important as boost. hence, the car feeling flat at the top end.

what i can say with certainty is that the person who, at the moment at least has the quickest 850 in the uk, would drum it into me not to tighten the actuator.

not sure if the above makes sense, it does in my head but then i'm a bit screwy in the head anyway lol.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 27th November 2009, 20:43
Yes, I get it. Makes perfect sense.

jadblobs
Saturday 28th November 2009, 21:35
i havent disconected it, I just pulled the rod and it seemed to move aheck of a lot, is it normal to pull out about half inch? or does it need tightening up
cheers