PDA

View Full Version : tailgate trim clips

mhill53
Thursday 26th November 2009, 12:26
Most of the clips that hold the tailgate trim panel on are broken on mine,have seen repair kits on ebay,has anyone tried these kits?

Tomcat
Thursday 26th November 2009, 12:30
Yup, they're ok, I have one on mine.

You'll probably find that if the clips are broken then so is the part of the tailgate trim they fit into, the repair kit has some small aluminium brackets that fit around the broken part and screw in place, then you just fit the supplied new clips and put it all back together again.

cameron
Thursday 26th November 2009, 12:31
An old 850 of mine had this repair it on it, but it still broke and rattled its bloody balls off all the time :grumpy: i dont think it was installed correctly.

The 850 i have now has been bodged with 5 long self tapping screws, probably about 4 inches long, theres 2 on the bottom edge, and 3 across the face of the panel.

Its held absolutely solid and best of all if i need to get behind the panel theres no plastic clips to break :B_thumb:

Tomcat
Thursday 26th November 2009, 12:33
An old 850 of mine had this repair it on it, but it still broke, rattled its bloody balls off all the time :grumpy:

The 850 i have now has been bodged with 5 long self tapping screws, probably anout 4 inches long, theres 2 on the bottom edge, and 3 across the face of the panel.

Its held absolutely solid and best of all if i need to get behind the panel theres no plastic clips to break :B_thumb:

Yeah but let's be honest Lee, that's as rough as hell,lol. I've had one of these repair kits on mine now since I got the car about 18 months ago (ish) and it's been fine since the day I fitted it.

cameron
Thursday 26th November 2009, 12:35
LOL yeah it is a bit of a wheele dealer trick, the screws are black so not noticeable, and it never rattles.

Must be a common thing cause i think my last one had it the same as well :confused:

And no it wasnt me, id rather buy the origonal kit but whilst its holding im saving the pennies.

Tomcat
Thursday 26th November 2009, 12:37
And no it wasnt me, id rather buy the origonal kit but whilst its holding im saving the pennies.

I'm all for saving the pennies at the moment mate.

cameron
Thursday 26th November 2009, 12:39
Im trying but not succeeding at the minute mate :(

4 kids to buy for Crimbo and a T5 Auto at 19.4 mpg is not a good mix.

Tomcat
Thursday 26th November 2009, 12:40
I know what you mean, only got the one but she can spend like 4,lol. Doesn't help when your not getting any work either, been sat here all bloody week waiting to hear from the agency.

cameron
Thursday 26th November 2009, 12:46
Im in exactly the same boat mate unfortunatelly.

Flatout Phil
Thursday 26th November 2009, 13:01
Babybadger has a very serviceable white tailgate with NON RATTLING TRIM on the 850 he is putting in for scrappage - PM him for a tailgate swap???

p fandango
Thursday 26th November 2009, 13:06
i'll have a look in the garage, i had a genuine volvo repair kit spare if anyone is interested

jim cox
Monday 26th March 2012, 18:13
Do Volvo still keep new clip sets?

T5frankie
Monday 26th March 2012, 18:47
when i repaired mine i also put epoxy resin around the clips so it will never come off again and it hasnt, partsforvolvos do them

woody
Tuesday 27th March 2012, 09:38
when i repaired mine i also put epoxy resin around the clips so it will never come off again and it hasnt, partsforvolvos do them

Now that's a dam fine idea!

endo-t5
Wednesday 28th March 2012, 12:23
I did mine and the rattling still continued turned out to be where the tailgate lock catches the striker theres a small plastic collar on the strike which was worn so cut it off and use some black insulation tape and now no more rattles also did where the seats lock as they rattled a little and check catch on seat base as they can be loose aswell easy check just lift base up and see if red lever is against the metal so it's locked in properely.
I went around the car as rattle did my head in.

stephenevans99
Wednesday 28th March 2012, 19:02
Bought my kit from PartsforVolvosOnline....never rattled again.

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=519_524&products_id=3137

Steve

Gunscrossed
Wednesday 28th March 2012, 21:56
Tailgate on my V70R seems to be rattling a lot, I guess this could be the fix I'm looking for!

jim cox
Thursday 29th March 2012, 17:26
Just fitted new clips from partsforvolvos,lovely!!!!