PDA

View Full Version : new bits & tracking miles out

Niles
Wednesday 25th November 2009, 09:00
Last week I fitted my car with brand new lower arms & I fitted sum poly bushes into the new arms, took the car out for a spin & wow!!! The car felt very strange!!! Steering wheel was dead level as usual, had another look underneath & all seemed ok, Then i took the car to Kwik-££££ to get the tracking done, they said the trackings miles out & they'd do it. 2 minutes later they gave up as the lock nuts on the arms wouldn't move. Annoyed & disappointed I had no choice but to use my car to get to work for the coming 4 days, yesterday I took my car to a local place recommended by a couple of mates. Got there & to my horror the tracking was measured as....divers side was 28mm toe in, passenger side was 30mm toe in!!!!!!! The 'outage' managed to destroy 2 front tyres in 120 miles!!!! Had 2 new tyres fitted with a very good discount as they know my boss (he's a pain sometimes but very useful to work for when stuff like that happens!!).
They struggled with the track rods but after over 1 hour it was done. Drove home & now WOW!! What a difference! Car handles superbly!! After 5 days of tippy toeing & literally scared of driving the car im now a happy bunny.

nobananas
Wednesday 25th November 2009, 20:02
If the track control arms are pattern ones then the tracking will most definitely have been effected. I fitted one pattern arm once to my 850 and it screwed the tracking up so badly that the steering wheel was out 90 degrees !, won't touch them now, would rather fit an original used arm (with poly bushes) than a pattern one.