PDA

View Full Version : pcv replacement or catch tank?

Mental Wealth Doctor
Tuesday 24th November 2009, 23:11
had a bit of an oil leak, pretty concerning. basically im hoping its coming from the oil catch/circulation tank pcv thingy, behind inlet manifold. the hose coming from down on left behind manifold has been left disconnected by a slack mechanic, does it sound right that pcv could be causing the leak?
and if im gonna fit a catch tank anyway do i need to mess around taking off inlet manifold to replace pcv??

Tomcat
Tuesday 24th November 2009, 23:17
It's not a really hard job to remove the inlet manifold, if your unsure about your PCV your better doing it properly, the parts from RUFE only come to about £70 and it will save you the expense of having to get the rear main seal replaced when it gets knackered up by excessive back pressure.

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 24th November 2009, 23:49
I replaced my pcv tank and used cable ties to secure the hoses, but these were no good and the connections leaked. Get some good metal clips to put on.

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 20th April 2010, 08:09
The PCV tank is in an @rse of a place - has anyone got any pics and instructions of an alternative and effective location?

p fandango
Tuesday 20th April 2010, 10:31
The PCV tank is in an @rse of a place - has anyone got any pics and instructions of an alternative and effective location?
i know Russ has removed the PCV on the Peril & love to do it myself but not got round to trying it, already got alot of the bits to do it (just need the actual piping) but dreading taking the inlet manifold off so keep putting it off lol

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 20th April 2010, 11:53
i know Russ has removed the PCV on the Peril & love to do it myself but not got round to trying it, already got alot of the bits to do it (just need the actual piping) but dreading taking the inlet manifold off so keep putting it off lol

I know the feeling :(

Jamest5r
Tuesday 20th April 2010, 17:30
Its only 7x10mm bolts on the manifold and 2x12mm underneath, ive had mine off 4 times in the last 2 weeks the whole job can be done in under 4hrs if youve not done it before, i done the last one in 1 1/2hrs:D

Duane give me a shout if you need any help

p fandango
Tuesday 20th April 2010, 20:45
Its only 7x10mm bolts on the manifold and 2x12mm underneath, ive had mine off 4 times in the last 2 weeks the whole job can be done in under 4hrs if youve not done it before, i done the last one in 1 1/2hrs:D

Duane give me a shout if you need any help
had a go myself this afternoon mate, got everything off (throttle body, injector rail) & most of the bolts but got stuck with the lower centre 2. I haven't got a small UJ joint or anything to get in at that angle, so i've put it all back together again lol

nobananas
Tuesday 20th April 2010, 20:50
Remember that the bottom set of bolts on the inlet manifold only need loosening. You don't have to remove them completely as the holes in the manifold are 'u' shaped so you can lift the manifold off them.

Jamest5r
Tuesday 20th April 2010, 20:56
had a go myself this afternoon mate, got everything off (throttle body, injector rail) & most of the bolts but got stuck with the lower centre 2. I haven't got a small UJ joint or anything to get in at that angle, so i've put it all back together again lol

You dont have to remove all that you can just bend it out of the way once the mani is off mate

cherry1809
Tuesday 20th April 2010, 21:33
What would you need to do to remove/replace it all together?

p fandango
Wednesday 21st April 2010, 05:10
Remember that the bottom set of bolts on the inlet manifold only need loosening. You don't have to remove them completely as the holes in the manifold are 'u' shaped so you can lift the manifold off them.

You dont have to remove all that you can just bend it out of the way once the mani is off mate
forgot that tbh but can't get the things to move at all, might have another go this afternoon & put a bit of behind it to try & slide the manifold off (not sure how much luck i'll have without undoing them a bit, we shall see)

i'm thinking of making an adaptor plate up so i can fit the ME7 manifold instead of refitting the original, aswell as getting the blues in & the FSE adjustable fuel regulator

kevt5
Wednesday 21st April 2010, 14:34
done mine yesterday too bit of a fiddle to do but not that bad but took a fair bit of time to do

p fandango
Wednesday 21st April 2010, 15:39
managed to get it off today, had to hammer is over the bottom 2 bolts that i couldn't move

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/5320/picture047t.jpg
now to see about bypassing the PCV

t5 pete
Wednesday 21st April 2010, 20:31
managed to get it off today, had to hammer is over the bottom 2 bolts that i couldn't move

well done pedro im going to be bypassing the pcv so looking forward o seeing what your going to be doing

cherry1809
Wednesday 21st April 2010, 21:12
X2 :B_thumb:

p fandango
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 06:34
well done pedro im going to be bypassing the pcv so looking forward o seeing what your going to be doing
you know by now mate totally ignore everything i say, & might even be wise to do the total opposite lol

the plan is to link the top cam vent with the middle block port, already got some 15mm T-pieces & bung up the sump (altho Russ has the sump going to the catch tank as well, got sure if thats a drain for the tank or vent tho)
http://xs.to/image-8492_4BCFDDA9.jpg

p fandango
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 18:13
took the PCV off today & measured up for what i need. 18mm ID pipe for the top cam cover breather, 27mm ID pipe for the block breather & a 20mm bung for the sump return. The T-pieces i've got are 15mm so going to need to use some sort of reducer to join the block breather pipe but we won't worry about that yet lol

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/8767/picture042lk.jpg

cherry1809
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 18:52
Subscribed :beer:

Jamest5r
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 19:34
you know by now mate totally ignore everything i say, & might even be wise to do the total opposite lol

the plan is to link the top cam vent with the middle block port, already got some 15mm T-pieces & bung up the sump (altho Russ has the sump going to the catch tank as well, got sure if thats a drain for the tank or vent tho)
http://xs.to/image-8492_4BCFDDA9.jpg

Never seen that cheers duane, now you got me thinking......££ how much you costed the pipes/tank/clips etc to be? could i just bore into my original catch tank for a 3rd inlet i think so lol

p fandango
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 19:50
Never seen that cheers duane, now you got me thinking......££ how much you costed the pipes/tank/clips etc to be? could i just bore into my original catch tank for a 3rd inlet i think so lol
tbh mate i haven't even looked at prices for the pipe yet so no idea on overall cost, guess i should of thought about that before binning the PCV lol. I've not opened up the catch tank to see whats inside, aslong as theirs space i can't see why you can't make another inlet (i've got a spare 15mm T-piece if your interested)

Jamest5r
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 20:51
Cheers mate ive got a couple of spare pcv's if you need one

p fandango
Friday 23rd April 2010, 16:40
Cheers mate ive got a couple of spare pcv's if you need one
thanks for the offer but i'm determind to get it bypassed. Been & ordered some stuff to get it going.

p fandango
Friday 23rd April 2010, 16:41
The T-piece (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170437624309) i'd already got to join the pipes.

The breather from the block is 27mm & i didn't fancy running pipe that big around the engine bay so ordered this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290417831771&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT) to reduce it the same size as the other pipes

& got this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270477699774&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT) to block up the sump return

so now i need a 28mm joiner to join the reducer to the block breather. A metre of 18mm pipe from the cam cover to the T-piece, & a couple of metres of 15mm for the block breather reducer to the T-piece, then to the catch tank. Then not forgetting the jubilee clips

p fandango
Friday 23rd April 2010, 17:18
& just ordered the 28mm joiner LINK (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290418003809&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT)

so just the 15mm & 18mm pipe to sort, but looking at the prices that won't be for a while lol

p fandango
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 19:00
got the joiner & reducer thru, waiting on the 20mm bung (& alloy to make my throttle body adaptor). I've still not ordered any pipe they tho

http://67.202.71.99/image-E0F1_4BD72603.jpg

nobananas
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 20:24
Why don't you just use 15mm copper tubing (or you can get 15mm CHROMED copper tubing !) to make up your pipework. It's much cheaper than silicone hosing. That's how I did mine when the original 'glass' pipework broke up on mine.

cherry1809
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 20:50
Why don't you just use 15mm copper tubing (or you can get 15mm CHROMED copper tubing !) to make up your pipework. It's much cheaper than silicone hosing. That's how I did mine when the original 'glass' pipework broke up on mine.

Coppers at around £4000 a ton at the minute, Probably cheaper to do it in silicon. LOL.

p fandango
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 06:20
it sounds like to much hard work, & i'll probably mess & change it about again in a few months anyway when i have a new idea lol

p fandango
Friday 30th April 2010, 18:02
the bung arrived, i need to buy some proper jubilee clips because the original won't do up quite enough to hold it

http://xs.to/image-14D0_4BDB0D12.jpg

http://xs.to/image-B976_4BDB0D12.jpg
the plan, once i get some pipe lol

danny-R
Friday 30th April 2010, 18:21
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/8767/picture042lk.jpg

pedro, could i pickle your brain for a sec please? see the bottom hole into the block..... i assume this is the bugger that tends to block/clog up, how far does it actually go into the block? when i replaced pcv and pipe work I thought i cleaned it out properly but obviously not, it felt about an inch or so till it's solid- does that sound about right?
cheers

danny

Dangerous Dave
Friday 30th April 2010, 18:25
pedro, could i pickle your brain for a sec please? see the bottom hole into the block..... i assume this is the bugger that tends to block/clog up, how far does it actually go into the block? when i replaced pcv and pipe work I thought i cleaned it out properly but obviously not, it felt about an inch or so till it's solid- does that sound about right?
cheers
Same on mine mate, goes in and the hits internal metal (possibly something to do with the crank) and there is a gap of about 10mm between the end of the hole and the metal.

danny-R
Friday 30th April 2010, 18:30
cheers bomb, that's how it seemed to me, as if it does a 90 degree bend up over.
i'm sure it was cleaned out correctly but i could be wrong. i'm even debating on leaving it now but the smoking issue is doing my head right in.
would i have to get a new inlet gasket btw.

many thanks

Jamest5r
Friday 30th April 2010, 18:51
What sort of smoking issue you got danny? im pretty up on this subject at the moment as i spent 4 weeks trying everything to sort mine out lol.

danny-R
Friday 30th April 2010, 19:14
well basically, if i sit stationary/idleing for a minute or so when i pull away= big puff of blue smoke.

could it be the return pipe on the turbo? this wouldn't explain why i lost a sh## load of oil from the dipstick though?

i'm stumped lol

Volvostorm
Friday 30th April 2010, 19:23
Have you cleaned out the other end of the pipes, where it connects to the big feed in to the turbo? The elbow there can get blocked too

danny-R
Friday 30th April 2010, 19:27
i just fitted the new pcv pipework, which is this elbow you speak of paul?

i'm definatley seeing the symtoms of blocked pcv though i think.

Jamest5r
Friday 30th April 2010, 20:02
Is your dip stick puffing like a train?, does the smoke clear on hard accleration but then come back more when on idle and what happens if you just leave it ticking over does some smoke start coming out?

Volvostorm
Friday 30th April 2010, 20:05
Look at the big pipe going from the airbox to the turbo, its got the two pipes coming from the PCV, also has an electrical connector on it

danny-R
Friday 30th April 2010, 20:34
Is your dip stick puffing like a train?, does the smoke clear on hard accleration but then come back more when on idle and what happens if you just leave it ticking over does some smoke start coming out?

not so much coming out the dipstick, but if you leave it a minute it will start smoking, then when you pull away you get a puff of smoke and it clears.

it only ever seems to happen when it's warm, and there's no smoke on start up.

cheers

danny-R
Friday 30th April 2010, 20:37
Look at the big pipe going from the airbox to the turbo, its got the two pipes coming from the PCV, also has an electrical connector on it

cheers paul i will check this in the morning. if not the inlet's coming off!

Jamest5r
Friday 30th April 2010, 21:11
not so much coming out the dipstick, but if you leave it a minute it will start smoking, then when you pull away you get a puff of smoke and it clears.

it only ever seems to happen when it's warm, and there's no smoke on start up.

cheers

Sorry to say it mate but it sounds like worn piston rings mate when the oil warms up its being pushed past the rings i had the same prob and went through everything.

danny-R
Friday 30th April 2010, 21:35
not exactly what i wanted to hear, but you could be right.
i don't think i will bother doing that tomorrow then i'll just run it into the ground instead .
don't worry i will still be going to york if it's smoking or not cos it friggin flies still :)

Jamest5r
Saturday 1st May 2010, 18:28
not exactly what i wanted to hear, but you could be right.
i don't think i will bother doing that tomorrow then i'll just run it into the ground instead .
don't worry i will still be going to york if it's smoking or not cos it friggin flies still :)

Wish i had just run my engine into the ground mate the rebuild is turning into a money pit what with the piston problems going to put it on hold till i can afford forged parts and stick another 2nd engine in im not paying £750 for pistons lol

danny-R
Saturday 1st May 2010, 18:40
Wish i had just run my engine into the ground mate the rebuild is turning into a money pit what with the piston problems going to put it on hold till i can afford forged parts and stick another 2nd engine in im not paying £750 for pistons lol

tbh i couldn't afford to do it anyway, my best bet is to drive it till i need i new engine then source a decent one to replace it.

i didn't even bother looking at the pcv today, i will just have to live with it.

I really wanted to reach 200,000 on this engine doesn't look like it anymore :(

MC_Bob
Sunday 2nd May 2010, 23:54
Do you need an inlet gasket or do I need to buy anything other than the kit from rufe?

Cheers

p fandango
Monday 3rd May 2010, 15:00
Do you need an inlet gasket or do I need to buy anything other than the kit from rufe?
when i took my manifold off yes the original gasket was knackered, but it has been on for 14years so not a bad idea to replace it anyway. I'm thinking of fitting a thermal spacer before putting it back on

p fandango
Sunday 4th July 2010, 19:56
right, thought i'd post up in the original thread to keep everything in order. Sorry for the cr4p pictures but think you can see what i've done. got a 28mm to 19mm 90degree reducer, 19mm T-piece & 19mm silicone pipe. It doesn't sit very well on the crank breather (keeps sliding off) so going to order a 19mm 90degree, then possibly another 90degree so theirs not too much tension on the pipe & run it across the top of the injectors. Also got to see if i can get a 19mm port for the top of the catch tank, or it'll have to be a 19mm-15mm 90degree reducer, plus need to order some 19mm alloy tube to join up the block breather to the other pipe, i'm tempted to do all the long runs in alloy with silicone joiners on the ends

http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1278273434093743500.jpg
got to order some more joints to sort the crankcase breather

http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1278273507028721800.jpg
easier to see what i've done with the manifold removed, you can't see the sump bung too well tho

T5hug
Sunday 4th July 2010, 21:11
So where does the clear pipe from the catch can go? Back to the air intake pipe?

p fandango
Sunday 4th July 2010, 21:13
So where does the clear pipe from the catch can go? Back to the air intake pipe?
it can but your better off just venting to atmosphere, if you put it back into the intake the oil fumes will still contaminate the air/fuel so no benefit to fitting the catch tank in the first place. The clear pipe is just to get the fumes out the way so they don't get fed into the cabin (normally thru the heater intake on the passenger side skuttle panel)

T5hug
Sunday 4th July 2010, 21:29
Is the whole point of this not to eradicate those oily fumes though!? I still have the standard air intake with the little sensor (can't remember what it's called!!! P**?) will plugging this be ok if doing away with the pipe? Could I not just vent the original PCV to atmosphere assuming it's all new and clean!?!

Sorry for all the questions!! Lol! :rolling_e

p fandango
Sunday 4th July 2010, 21:40
Is the whole point of this not to eradicate those oily fumes though!? I still have the standard air intake with the little sensor (can't remember what it's called!!! P**?) will plugging this be ok if doing away with the pipe? Could I not just vent the original PCV to atmosphere assuming it's all new and clean!?!

lol no problem, the standard PCV feeds oil & gunk thru the vent pipe back into the air intake pipe thru the little sensor your on about (its actually a small heater element). This gunk contaminates the air/fuel spoiling the mixture & worsening the burn/explosion, thats the theory behind it. The catch tank keeps the gunk out of the system so should have a better fuel/burn mixture

the small element in the air intake isn't measured thru the ECU so can be unplugged without the ECU throwing a fault code, i'd only block & remove it tho if your running a seperate catch tank & venting to air. As said the PCV lets some oil thru & will make a mess of the engine bay if you simply disconnect it, some racetracks won't let you race if your venting to atmosphere without a catchtank

T5hug
Sunday 4th July 2010, 21:50
Ok cheers! so even my new pcv will still allow oil etc back through!? Aaargh!!! Ha!

Had thought about a catch tank before but decided to replace the pcv!! Do you think the catch tank is still worthwhile after the pcv tank!? It's all new so no point in binning it! Is there!?!

p fandango
Sunday 4th July 2010, 21:55
Ok cheers! so even my new pcv will still allow oil etc back through!? Aaargh!!! Ha!

Had thought about a catch tank before but decided to replace the pcv!! Do you think the catch tank is still worthwhile after the pcv tank!? It's all new so no point in binning it! Is there!?!
i only know of one person (Russ) running without a PCV, everyone else runs the catchtank inline. I'm only just experimenting with removing the PCV & tbh its all theory work so far, BT's engine isn't ready to be run again yet so not sure if we'll come across any unexpected problems running without one

T5hug
Sunday 4th July 2010, 22:05
Catch tank it is then!! I'm determined to get rid of as much oil as possible! The car had oil leaks everywhere so slowly eradicating them one by one!! Burst pcv Hoses and the oil filler cap plus a burst boost pipe had my engine bay in some mess!! But tbh it could have been a lot worse!!

Slightly off topic but after sorting the pcv can anyone recommend a good way to flush the intercooler of unwanted oil and crap!?

Jamest5r
Monday 5th July 2010, 19:25

Thats what ive done now, i just bunged up the PTC pipes and extended the pcv pipe so it runs all the way under the car.

Jamest5r
Monday 5th July 2010, 19:27
Catch tank it is then!! I'm determined to get rid of as much oil as possible! The car had oil leaks everywhere so slowly eradicating them one by one!! Burst pcv Hoses and the oil filler cap plus a burst boost pipe had my engine bay in some mess!! But tbh it could have been a lot worse!!

Slightly off topic but after sorting the pcv can anyone recommend a good way to flush the intercooler of unwanted oil and crap!?

I sealed one end then put petrol in swished around then drained and repeated a few times then left a hose running through for a good while and left to dry overnight.

p fandango
Saturday 31st July 2010, 12:41
i've just ordered hopefully the final lot of bits i need to remove the PCV, i'll post more pics once i've got everything fitted. Its basically the same set-up as i've posted above, but looks nicer lol

p fandango
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 19:36
an update for ya James ;)

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/6125/dscf0226n.jpg
got to get Powerflow to bend a pipe for the camshaft cover to the T-piece. The 90degree bend to connect the pipe to the catch tank should be here tomorrow

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/433/dscf0246k.jpg

Jamest5r
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 19:59
Looks so simple in the flesh!! just get the damn thing started now and see how it performs, personally i would get rid of the catch tank and just vent straight to air from the block, you got to think about the weight at least a kilo there lol

p fandango
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 20:04
Looks so simple in the flesh!! just get the damn thing started now and see how it performs, personally i would get rid of the catch tank and just vent straight to air from the block, you got to think about the weight at least a kilo there lol
it is simple really, just hope it works lol. Just got to get the throttle wheel welded onto the manifold & think the engine is ready then

she won't pass MSA scrutineering without a catch tank, my bro's VW failed last year becuase he was venting straight to air so we had to bodge a tank out of a water bottle so he could race lol

Jamest5r
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 20:20
Just do what i do mate and run the pipe back down towards the back of the engine where its supposed to go....

watchmytracer
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 20:24
after having all my pcv done and clearing all smoke mystery loss of oil has now been sorted after changing oil cap and loose pipe under top engine cover there was still a massive leak so in the end had to have mainfold off again to check everything and 1" wide rubber elbow had a split underneath causing epic oil loss so now it has a clean bill of health thank god

p fandango
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 20:49
Just do what i do mate and run the pipe back down towards the back of the engine where its supposed to go....
they know all the tricks mate, its amazing how well they check over the cars & rightly so, it is to make sure the cars safe to race

i've crew'd for a few teams in the VWDRC championship & its quite funny once they open up scutineering, the cars rushing back to the pit area & everyone trying to figure out how they can fix the faults with gaffa tape or anything they've got in the tents lol. The community spirit is very high between all the teams so normally end up borrowing/robbing from each other lol

p fandango
Wednesday 4th August 2010, 14:11
its been revised already lol, Powerflow would bend the pipe as it was too small for what they use so popped to Machine Mart & bought a hand pipe bender intended for gas pipe. The only problem was it only does wides radius bends so couldn't get them to line up where i planned yesterday. It has worked out well tho & the pipes now run under the manifold, theirs more run under there so is a bit better

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/5492/dscf0248q.jpg
need to either get some longer pipe & bend it upto the catch tank, or buy a 90degree silicone joint (think the new pipe will be better). Just put the crushed joint in to make sure it matches up

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/5133/dscf0253n.jpg
obviously all the joints will be jubilee clipped once its finished

Jamest5r
Wednesday 4th August 2010, 17:26
I think you should keep the silicone 90 bend that way you can easily take that section out if it ever blocks on that bend as no doubt there will be some of that gunk that dont make it to the catch tank.

p fandango
Wednesday 4th August 2010, 17:56
I think you should keep the silicone 90 bend that way you can easily take that section out if it ever blocks on that bend as no doubt there will be some of that gunk that dont make it to the catch tank.
that is a very good point, thanks mate never thought of that

Ade
Wednesday 23rd February 2011, 15:08
its been revised already lol, Powerflow would bend the pipe as it was too small for what they use so popped to Machine Mart & bought a hand pipe bender intended for gas pipe. The only problem was it only does wides radius bends so couldn't get them to line up where i planned yesterday. It has worked out well tho & the pipes now run under the manifold, theirs more run under there so is a bit better

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/5492/dscf0248q.jpg
need to either get some longer pipe & bend it upto the catch tank, or buy a 90degree silicone joint (think the new pipe will be better). Just put the crushed joint in to make sure it matches up

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/5133/dscf0253n.jpg
obviously all the joints will be jubilee clipped once its finished

Looks interesting, think I'll be having a go at replicating this set up

p fandango
Wednesday 23rd February 2011, 19:50
Looks interesting, think I'll be having a go at replicating this set up
i have changed the piping a bit since then, its basically the same just routed different to clear the manifold better. Also note i've still not ran the engine with it like that yet

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy196/pedro-fandango/Volvo/BT/Engine%20Bay/DSCF0545.jpg

Ade
Wednesday 23rd February 2011, 20:26
Cool, looks good.

In theory could I do this and just leave the original PCV box in place? Maybe just blank off the hoses?

So I would just need to route 1 hose from the block and 1 from the head?
Do you remember what diameter of hose is needed?

p fandango
Wednesday 23rd February 2011, 20:32
In theory could I do this and just leave the original PCV box in place? Maybe just blank off the hoses?

So I would just need to route 1 hose from the block and 1 from the head?
Do you remember what diameter of hose is needed?
the PCV almost slots straight into the block breather so needs to be removed to get access to it. Its been changed & done over so long i can't remember the sizes sorry

Ade
Wednesday 23rd February 2011, 21:07

Is the thick right angled hose on the right going into the block not what you hook up to the new catch tank though? Looks accessible there.

p fandango
Wednesday 23rd February 2011, 21:10
Is the thick right angled hose on the right going into the block not what you hook up to the new catch tank though? Looks accessible there.
lol shows how much i remember, i thought there was less pipe than that & the pcv clipped straight onto the block outlet. So looking at the pic you should be able to remove all the pipes from the pcv (except sump) & T them into a catch tank