PDA

View Full Version : Creaky rear Sus

richiemat
Tuesday 24th November 2009, 22:05
Hi All,

Don't seem to be having the best car month, i've seperately posted about my wobbly clutch (DMF) and I also have concern about the rear suspension as its started 'creaking'. (S60 D5 '06)

Has anyone experienced anything similar, it occurs when at slow speed whilst turning and where the road surface is not perfectly level - so all the time then lol.
No one ever sits in the back and its never got any load in it, perhaps that's the problem who knows.

Any help appreciated as usual :)

thebadger
Tuesday 24th November 2009, 23:34
ARBs? Either that or it could be a dry bush (hee-hee).

cornclose
Wednesday 25th November 2009, 22:19
Rear droplinks?

Not scantech ones are they? Check one of them hasn't snapped.

richiemat
Wednesday 25th November 2009, 23:13
i'll take a look at it tomorrow to see if theres anything obvious guys, What does a droplink look like? lol

cameron
Wednesday 25th November 2009, 23:34
Rear Drop link for S60 ...............

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/rear.jpg

thebadger
Wednesday 25th November 2009, 23:58
I replaced my ARBs with Delphi ones, they have lasted far better than the cheap tat I fitted to the front, I would reccomend them. Ebay for about £30.

cornclose
Thursday 26th November 2009, 08:49
The ones in the image Lee posted are scantech ones. Don't buy em, the ones I fitted to mine lasted less than three months. There was at least one other report on here of the same. I replaced mine with IPD ones at three times the cost.

richiemat
Thursday 26th November 2009, 10:10
I know what im looking for now :beer:

It's still in warranty so Scantech are not an option, i'll get it up in the air later and take a looky

cornclose
Thursday 26th November 2009, 10:22
You can check droplinks without lifting the car at all..

cornclose
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 10:45
Any news then? Was just browsing and saw this was left open ended...

richiemat
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 13:48
Any news then? Was just browsing and saw this was left open ended...

some although not very exciting, took it to the approved volvo local repairer - part of the main network last Friday.
Every day, without exception I was getting the creaking and last Friday nothing - not even a sound. They checked it anyway and it all looks okay so either I am going mad or it will return.

Typical bl**dy cars, must've scared it into submission.

thebadger
Thursday 24th December 2009, 02:35
I'm getting a groaning creak off my front right (drivers) suspension.

My garage (indy) have advised a duff strut top mount "BEARING", which I didn't even know existed.

Could it be a goosed top mount perhaps? Do you have Nivomats? They use an uprated mount, which could still fail, but may be a "dry" bearing on the mount..

Is it coming from one side only?

If so this may be a similar issue to mine!

v70torslanda
Thursday 24th December 2009, 11:46
This is the favourite to need replacement, the top spring mounting. The centre rips out and the strut knocks or creaks.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d55/shedbike/15431.jpg

It is directly on top of the spring and directly underneath this:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d55/shedbike/18481.jpg

Which is the top strut bearing. I haven't had to supply many bearings, I have sold lots of top mounts . . .

richiemat
Thursday 24th December 2009, 13:59
I'm getting a groaning creak off my front right (drivers) suspension.

My garage (indy) have advised a duff strut top mount "BEARING", which I didn't even know existed.

Could it be a goosed top mount perhaps? Do you have Nivomats? They use an uprated mount, which could still fail, but may be a "dry" bearing on the mount..

Is it coming from one side only?

If so this may be a similar issue to mine!

This is the favourite to need replacement, the top spring mounting. The centre rips out and the strut knocks or creaks.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d55/shedbike/15431.jpg

It is directly on top of the spring and directly underneath this:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d55/shedbike/18481.jpg

Which is the top strut bearing. I haven't had to supply many bearings, I have sold lots of top mounts . . .

badger i had the creak from my front o/s as well (on my V70) earlier this year and as v70torslanda as shown the rubber top mount was shot and split. Both the bearing shown above and rubber was replaced with genuine parts while it was apart and cured it nicely.:wave23d:

i dont have nivomats on the rear.

On my S60 the rear creak 'was' nest explained as being heard best across the parcel shelf area - but this is only a perception from the drivers seat as i know sounds like that can travel from elsewhere...but its mysteriously gone for now

v70torslanda do you supply both of these and who makes them?

v70torslanda
Friday 25th December 2009, 11:37
The strut top mount is supplied by Febi - who manufacture for Volvo. New ones supplied and fitted to mine, Robbie H and Dave Stew's cars this year. IIRC none of us needed or bought the bearings but if you need them they are also Febi or Lemforder and I keep them in stock at Euro Car Parts in Chester.

Will be able to send them courier in the New Year. PM me when you're ready.

Merry Christmas

John