PDA

View Full Version : Why are volvo trim levels so confusing >.<

Palmer
Monday 23rd November 2009, 17:48
I looked all over and just keep getting crap.

Basically the 200 series, its well confusing. Theres the 240 turbo and the 242 gt. Whats the difference?Also, theres a V6 200 series ive been told, wtf?

Im basically researching atm as to what project car i want in the future. Volvo for sure. But i dont know what model. I prefer older cars as im a classic guy. Is there a 200 series that have PAS, electric windows and come RWD / turbo? Or rwd / V6.

96T5Andy
Monday 23rd November 2009, 18:59

Basically the 200 series, its well confusing. Theres the 240 turbo and the 242 gt. Whats the difference?Also, theres a V6 200 series ive been told, wtf?

Im basically researching atm as to what project car i want in the future. Volvo for sure. But i dont know what model. I prefer older cars as im a classic guy. Is there a 200 series that have PAS, electric windows and come RWD / turbo? Or rwd / V6.

Our old 260 GLE estate had PAS, RWD, Full leccy windows & a 2.8L V6. But the trim can vary even if they both say GLE I believe. Good luck finding one. I think the DL was the crap one.

Palmer
Monday 23rd November 2009, 19:09
Our old 260 GLE estate had PAS, RWD, Full leccy windows & a 2.8L V6. But the trim can vary even if they both say GLE I believe. Good luck finding one. I think the DL was the crap one.

Ah right. Did it come in a saloon? Not a fan of the old volvo estates :)

Okete
Monday 23rd November 2009, 19:15
Palmer,

You might find this link useful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_200_Series

Cheers,
John

Palmer
Monday 23rd November 2009, 19:27
Palmer,

You might find this link useful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_200_Series

Cheers,
John

Ta but that doesnt really clarify anything for me, thats why im confused. Because theres massive chunks of text and its all technical. Giving engine types and all that. Theres no simple explanation of what model has what trim and what engine etc etc

Palmer

Cubes
Monday 23rd November 2009, 20:12
MODEL NUMBERS: 2*$ - If the * is a 4 it has 4 cylinders. If it's a 6 it has 6 cylinders.
If the $ is a 2 it has 2 doors (very rare to find now though), 4 = 4 doors, 5 = 5 doors. The $ changed to a 0 in later models though so you caouldn't tell whether it was an estate or saloon.

SPEC LETTERS: Think of it like the alhpabet: The further up the alphabet you go, the better the spec.
ie. DL (low end DeLuxe), GL (higher Grande Luxe), GLE (higher still, sort of comfort spec) GLT (even higher, sporty spec).

Most common in the 240/4/5 was the 2.3 lump. As far as I know all 260/4/5's had the 2.8 When I was a nipper (!) my folks had a 265 GLE which was an awesome 2.8 V6. I actually think the GLE was the top spec, not the GLT, but not sure. It came with leather seats, electric windows all round, electric mirrors, nice alloys and metallic paint. It was also an auto, which I think all the 260's were, but I stand to be corrected (on any of the above!)

Hope some of that helps!

smithy
Monday 23rd November 2009, 21:20

volvo never did a turbo 240 in the uk and the 242 turbo was a 2 door coupe which we never got here ether. so my sugestion is buy a late model classic se 940 lpt and turn the boost up .then you get a g80 locker axle 2.3 turbo capable of 300 bhp with not alot of work and get a manual with m90 box .lots of fun and quick

Palmer
Tuesday 24th November 2009, 00:06
MODEL NUMBERS: 2*$ - If the * is a 4 it has 4 cylinders. If it's a 6 it has 6 cylinders.
If the $ is a 2 it has 2 doors (very rare to find now though), 4 = 4 doors, 5 = 5 doors. The $ changed to a 0 in later models though so you caouldn't tell whether it was an estate or saloon.

SPEC LETTERS: Think of it like the alhpabet: The further up the alphabet you go, the better the spec.
ie. DL (low end DeLuxe), GL (higher Grande Luxe), GLE (higher still, sort of comfort spec) GLT (even higher, sporty spec).

Most common in the 240/4/5 was the 2.3 lump. As far as I know all 260/4/5's had the 2.8 When I was a nipper (!) my folks had a 265 GLE which was an awesome 2.8 V6. I actually think the GLE was the top spec, not the GLT, but not sure. It came with leather seats, electric windows all round, electric mirrors, nice alloys and metallic paint. It was also an auto, which I think all the 260's were, but I stand to be corrected (on any of the above!)

Hope some of that helps!

Ta that does help lol!

Palmer
Tuesday 24th November 2009, 00:09
volvo never did a turbo 240 in the uk and the 242 turbo was a 2 door coupe which we never got here ether. so my sugestion is buy a late model classic se 940 lpt and turn the boost up .then you get a g80 locker axle 2.3 turbo capable of 300 bhp with not alot of work and get a manual with m90 box .lots of fun and quick

Hmm im still deciding what route to go down tbh. Small engined lightweight car such as a mini, or a large turbo lump like a volvo. Or even maybe a beefy V8 further down the line. Ahhh if only the 850 R's were RWD!

smithy
Tuesday 24th November 2009, 15:53
Hmm im still deciding what route to go down tbh. Small engined lightweight car such as a mini, or a large turbo lump like a volvo. Or even maybe a beefy V8 further down the line. Ahhh if only the 850 R's were RWD!

you could always drop a t6 motor in a 960 saloon

volvoturboman
Friday 22nd January 2010, 15:37
Cubes i bang on but to clarify on his just abit further. The GLT was to the 240 what the SRI would be to Vauxhall, no extra performance but came with the little performance extras like the "sporty" alloys, egg create grill, no chrome strip up the doors and so on. It had similar spec to the GLE but the GLE was the top of the range. There was also a 2.8 4 cylinder engine available although rare.

t5 pete
Friday 22nd January 2010, 17:09
yep the glt were the top spec what are you wanting from your next project car?
Are you wanting to do a engine swap or modd the current engine the car has?

Cubes
Friday 22nd January 2010, 20:08
Cubes i bang on but to clarify on his just abit further. The GLT was to the 240 what the SRI would be to Vauxhall, no extra performance but came with the little performance extras like the "sporty" alloys, egg create grill, no chrome strip up the doors and so on. It had similar spec to the GLE but the GLE was the top of the range. There was also a 2.8 4 cylinder engine available although rare.

That's right. The GLT had matt black trim where the GLE had chrome didn't it