PDA

View Full Version : 850r

mhill53
Saturday 21st November 2009, 15:33
Hi there,ive took the plunge and bought myself one!
Shes a black manual 850R and drove back from london lastnight without a problem at all!
I will get some pics up when it stops raining,quick question regarding the throttle pedal,it seems so stiff its unreal?is this common or is it just me? ive got a few jobs ive got to do so i will check this out in the next couple of days!

p fandango
Saturday 21st November 2009, 15:39
the accerelator should be quite light. A few people have had this problem before & fixed it but fitting a new throttle cable, quite an easy job if remember right

martybelfastt5
Saturday 21st November 2009, 15:42
hello and welcome,,dosent sound like anything serious,mine dosent have a stiff pedal tho they tend to have a slight delay or rise in revs changing through gears is she man auto saloon>854< or an estate>855<

mhill53
Saturday 21st November 2009, 15:45
Thanks people i guessed it could be a cable but as my garage is full i need to have a look out on the drive and at the moment its rather wet out there so maybe in the morning! its an 855 chaps and i must say seemed mighty impressive coming home in it lastnight!

Flatout Phil
Saturday 21st November 2009, 16:15
Welcome to this exotic realm!!! Get a new cable - not major.

volvokid
Saturday 21st November 2009, 18:06
My first V40 had a stiff throttle pedal, I don’t know what its called but the wheel thingy that the cable is attached beside the engine give it a spray with grease and clean it they do go tight sometimes this should help.

T5ER
Saturday 21st November 2009, 19:11
I miss pepperami (my 855 R auto) i did like it alot but must needs and he had to go, i wonder if it still around now ??????? or even my 854 T5 i wonder if thats still going

walter leever
Saturday 21st November 2009, 22:57
Welcome here:banana:

And enjoy the experience that's called 850(R):B_thumb:

gr,walter

Clan998
Saturday 21st November 2009, 23:23
Hi

I did the throttle cable on mine , easy job made a massive difference, cheap too .... £35 ish from Simon at FRF ( Rufe on here )

Good luck with the R ... Enjoy :-)

Rich

cameron
Saturday 21st November 2009, 23:49
Remove the black plastic cover over the throttle cable spindle thingy and give it a good spray of grease, and check how much loose play there is in it as well, a thing missed by lots of people and they go very loose :D

Just turn the black plastic bit holding the cable anti clock wise to tighten it :B_thumb:

mhill53
Monday 23rd November 2009, 11:48
Thanks for the kind welcoming chaps,checked the cable issue and is definatly the cable the spindle has no play and rotates fine!i have read on here somewhere about the uprated engine mounts,my top mount is pretty tired so im gonna fit a poly bush,i take it this is a common issue?

leet5r
Monday 23rd November 2009, 16:13
Thanks for the kind welcoming chaps,checked the cable issue and is definatly the cable the spindle has no play and rotates fine!i have read on here somewhere about the uprated engine mounts,my top mount is pretty tired so im gonna fit a poly bush,i take it this is a common issue?

yeah piece of piss to fit aswell m8 20quid gets a poly 1

nobananas
Monday 23rd November 2009, 19:58
Definitely sounds terminal to me, if you like I can take her off your hands for you !!

850 2.5 10v
Tuesday 24th November 2009, 13:42
Pics!!!

mhill53
Wednesday 25th November 2009, 11:59
Heres the only pic i have at the moment!

walter leever
Wednesday 25th November 2009, 12:03
Heres the only pic i have at the moment!

Another blackbeast:mischievo

nice car,my friend.

gr,walter

mhill53
Wednesday 25th November 2009, 12:11
Thank you,new throttle cable and some engine mounts and she will be 100%!

RollingThunder
Thursday 26th November 2009, 12:43
I did the accel cable a few weeks back - wrote it up on the VOC forum here http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=82253 Easy job and made a massive difference.

mhill53
Monday 7th December 2009, 11:41
Cable done,top engine mount done,arb drop links changed! its almost perfect!!

Do these suffer with subframe bushes?mine has a funny vibration on tickover and at low revs when you pull away that you cannot hear outside the car but you can feel it inside the car?first suspititions were the exhaust flexijoint gone but ive been underneath and cannot see anything obvious?

T5ER
Monday 7th December 2009, 12:29
poss top engine stabiliser bushes mate, they rarelly suffer from owt major, oh apart from the odd lower wishbone

mhill53
Monday 7th December 2009, 14:42
ive just changed the upper bush to a poly bush,only the outer one though not the inner bulkhead one?

Big Pete
Saturday 12th December 2009, 09:28
ive just changed the upper bush to a poly bush,only the outer one though not the inner bulkhead one?

The poly one will increase vibration and noise, if you upgrade the bulkhead one then you get a HUGE increase in engine noise, which I LOVE, however you also get a lot more vibration from your dashboard.