PDA

View Full Version : symptoms of HG failuer

Andy G
Thursday 19th November 2009, 20:57
OK what are the symptoms of a HG failure? Looking at an 850R, rads been changed due to the old one going pop, its an auto, and the garage told him it may need a new HG. I have driven it and it drives faultlessly, heating works as it should, no mayo and no oil in the water etc. Temps were fine on the test drive and it all pulled well. Drove it for a good 15mins to.

daveforber
Thursday 19th November 2009, 21:14
Symptoms are pretty much as you described:

Oil in the water or water in the oil. The best way to check is probably to change both.

Mine on a ****roen was just made obvious by it running hotter than normal; the temp light came on and then it cooled down (still running). It just wouldn't start after shopping.

Just because the rad has gone doesn't necessitate a head gasket, but it's right to urge caution. Just keep an eye on the fluids and especially the temp gauge. Pull over at the first opportunity if it becomes abnormal.

Tomcat
Thursday 19th November 2009, 21:19
If your unsure you can take it to a competent garage and they'll do a "Sniff" test on the water, involves insterting a tester into the water, picks up any of the gasses usually associated with combustion and hence a headgaskette failure.

Andy G
Thursday 19th November 2009, 21:20
Many thanks. I also checked whilst the car was running to see if there was any bubbles in the exp bottle and that was fine. I did some digging about and it could also show itself up as being low on power etc but this is good? I suppose the 65 mile drive home will highlight an issue if it has one? It's not an expensive car although well looked after. I am hoping to collect it on Sat or early next week.

cameron
Thursday 19th November 2009, 21:23
Sounds ok then, any piccys of the said car ?

Andy G
Thursday 19th November 2009, 22:02
when I get it I will post them up. Hopefully it will be fine.