PDA

View Full Version : Exhausted!

meffs
Friday 10th June 2005, 23:24
Ok, got back after a long drive tonight and hear a clonking coming from the back! Had a look and the hangers between the tailpipe and the back box have come away from the pipe. Is this a common problem for the exhaust to be in sound condition and the brackets corrode? Either way, is it possible to tack them back into position or is this a ludicrous idea and it needs a new back piece?:slap:

splatt
Friday 10th June 2005, 23:27
Of course you have to try to tack them back...reckon it would work...common problem...no...never heard of it..
Ok, got back after a long drive tonight and hear a clonking coming from the back! Had a look and the hangers between the tailpipe and the back box have come away from the pipe. Is this a common problem for the exhaust to be in sound condition and the brackets corrode? Either way, is it possible to tack them back into position or is this a ludicrous idea and it needs a new back piece?:slap:

meffs
Friday 10th June 2005, 23:30
Cheers Splatt, just what i wanted to hear. Next dumb question is... who would actualy do it, Mechanic, Welder, exhaust/tyre place. Obviously I do not want to fork out for the new part, not yet anyway!

splatt
Friday 10th June 2005, 23:35
Like the avatar...cool
Exhaust place...no way...they will sell u a new one...
Any half decent workshop/mechanic will have a go....had a back box mount re tacked a few years ago for our annual MOT and was told it was a temporary fix...ohh really????....still going strong.... :)
Tell u what...if u r over this way I will do it for you...reckon it will be cheaper for you to do locally though????

meffs
Friday 10th June 2005, 23:48
Like the avatar...cool
Exhaust place...no way...they will sell u a new one...
Any half decent workshop/mechanic will have a go....had a back box mount re tacked a few years ago for our annual MOT and was told it was a temporary fix...ohh really????....still going strong.... :)
Tell u what...if u r over this way I will do it for you...reckon it will be cheaper for you to do locally though????LOL, erm yes localy i think would be cheaper,but thatnks for the offer just need to persuade one of the local grunts that it is possible to weld! How long do you think it would last without the brackets?

procee
Friday 10th June 2005, 23:55
This happened to mine, none of the exhaust came apart, just the brackets rusted off. The dealer (yup genuine volvo dealer) actually had brackets they'd made up a stock of to weld on. any welder should be able to do it, and pretty much most mechanics should be able to do it too i'd guess.

splatt
Saturday 11th June 2005, 00:02
LOL, erm yes localy i think would be cheaper,but thatnks for the offer just need to persuade one of the local grunts that it is possible to weld! How long do you think it would last without the brackets?sooner rather than later would be my guess...if you leave it too long then who knows...?

M44K TS
Saturday 11th June 2005, 00:57
mines done it aswell, can't be bothered to get it welded though, i know i should

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 11th June 2005, 01:22
I would buy a clamp on hanger - they just bolt around the offending piece of exhaust or like the others said - get new hangers welded back on. It is the only bit of the exhaust that ever rusts.

fraz13
Saturday 11th June 2005, 09:33
Happened to mine aswell, a just put a stainless on, job done, no more worries :wink:

meffs
Saturday 11th June 2005, 10:37
I would buy a clamp on hanger - they just bolt around the offending piece of exhaust or like the others said - get new hangers welded back on. It is the only bit of the exhaust that ever rusts.Yes Dave, I would too. But what you don't realise is trying to find anything over here is a nightmare, I spent 4 months looking for a Volvo Breaker...Yippee I found one, Except they have NO parts for an 850!!:slap: Maybe I should use a coat-hanger!

MattB
Saturday 11th June 2005, 12:02
Yes Dave, I would too. But what you don't realise is trying to find anything over here is a nightmare...

Maybe I should use a coat-hanger!

The brackets have rusted on both of the 850's I have owned.

On the first, a chap at Kwikfit made up a bracket to fit, one saturday afternoon, for '£10 cash in hand'. Did the job, altough I had to adjust the rubbers slightly as the exhaust hung a little low at the back end.

My T5 had the same problem when I bought it - so dropped back in to the same Kwikfit, only the guy doesn't work there anymore!! :cry: Needless to say, the new guy was only interested in selling me a new exhaust!
I have since resorted to the 'deluxe wire coathanger' modification. Does the job really well, but not sure if it will be acceptable for the MOT tho...

chich100
Saturday 11th June 2005, 17:09
mine broke not long after i bought the car that was two mot,s ago.Wonderfull sfuff stainless steel wire.