PDA

View Full Version : Doggy valves/ lifters / springs ???

KARL
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 23:39
Hi All

After suffering my cambelt tensioner failure last year (Posted on here) , I have been very lucky to have a working engine in my Rica V70 R AWD .
It runs ok , with a new little tapperty noise that I can live with , However It runs bad if you Rev it into the 5000 rpm area frequently It then feels almost as if it has lost a whole cylinder , and sounds and feels like an old cortina with wet points! (Splutter)
On really bad occasions ,if you apply throttle in this state it will shudder. I have put my foot down in this situation and it surprisingly got better as the revs increased. I am thinking it has a doggy hydraulic lifter and runs out of pressure sometimes, but I am no expert , As an oil change did it wonders.
I did notice a slight marking on ONE off the camshaft bits(the bit that operates the spring)in the past ,could it be a broken spring!
It is not a bent valve as the problem comes and goes.

The engine will run fine all day long if you drive it nicely (One or two W.O.T moments).
It sometime starts up from cold with the judder/wobble but when warmed up and driven It disappears.
I want to risk a long journey in it, but I am afraid to!!
I have covered about 2000 miles around town since it happened but no motorway stuff.
Do you think Its worth paying for the head off work or……?
I love this car had it a long time now but don’t have any £££ anymore!
The car has been good to me (Still going even now)!
Help!!!!
Thanks for your help every one.
Cheers