PDA

View Full Version : HID fitting help pleeeease!!

Cubes
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 15:29
Hi all.

Got my HID kit yesterday and was hoping to get it fitted today but, as usual, rain stopped play so I didn't have a chance to have a mooch around under the bonnet. The wiring aspect looks straight forward enough, but I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help me with@

BALLASTS: I was wondering where on earth to locate them. There's hardly any room, especially as it is supposed to be somewhere well vented. There's a space on the nearside but it's only mm's away from the battery - would it be safe to put it that close?

WIRING: Just after the bulb there's a large gromit (see pic). Does this mean I need to dril a hole in the black plastic cap that fits onto the rear of the headlamp unit so these wires can be fed through?

Any help please guys and gals...

LeeT5
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 15:54
Hi all.

Got my HID kit yesterday and was hoping to get it fitted today but, as usual, rain stopped play so I didn't have a chance to have a mooch around under the bonnet. The wiring aspect looks straight forward enough, but I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help me with@

BALLASTS: I was wondering where on earth to locate them. There's hardly any room, especially as it is supposed to be somewhere well vented. There's a space on the nearside but it's only mm's away from the battery - would it be safe to put it that close?

WIRING: Just after the bulb there's a large gromit (see pic). Does this mean I need to dril a hole in the black plastic cap that fits onto the rear of the headlamp unit so these wires can be fed through?

Hi mate.

It's very simple dude. The drivers side ballast: lay flat behind headlight and secure using cable ties. The passenger side ballast: Stick it straight on the side of the battery! Perfectly safe. That's where mine have been for the last 4 months with no problems.

As for the rubber grommets: Drill a hole (should say what size in instructions) about 20mm, in the center of the light housing black cap. Feed wires through and secure. Job done. :) I will post pictures later on when i have done my PCV system today.

Cubes
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 15:58
Excellent. Thanks Lee, appreciated mate.

ncarnall
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 16:18
Hi mate what kit did you buy?

Cubes
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 16:30
I got these mate. They were recommended to me by TheT6kid. He's had his for months now and not had any probs with them.

Click me (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160369158637)

They only took 12 days to arrive aswell

cameron
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 19:40
12 days :yikes:

Mine took 4 days from Beijing :B_thumb:

Ive had mine for a fortnight now and all i can say is " BIG " improvement :D

Cubes
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 20:58

Ner ner n ner nerrr... (!)

claymore
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 21:26

Same here, very impressed.

Cubes
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 22:58
For all you know the conversation might have went,

"Thank you for your order, Cubes. We'll get them shipped right out to you. You should have them in 4 days."

"I'd rather you make it 12, mate."

"Errm... Ok..."

cameron
Thursday 19th November 2009, 14:05
Get them fitted already :doh:

Cubes
Thursday 19th November 2009, 14:19
Just finished! Resizing the pics and then I'll pop them up! Well impressed!

Cubes
Thursday 19th November 2009, 14:32
Here we go! Easy as pie (and almost as tasty). Luckly I was able to locate a couple of places to fit the ballasts without too much hassle.

I screwed the nearside one to a clip on the battery tray which holds one of the battery cables. The offside one I fixed to a bracket which was sticking out just near the bonnet release catch. I put a couple of cable ties on them just to reduce any vibration.
I think I might have to get some conduit to tidy it up a bit.

The second last picture show the difference between the HID and the halogen. The last pic is of both HID's nicely warmed up!

I want it to be night, I want it to be night...!

Cubes
Thursday 19th November 2009, 18:43
But now my handbrake's seized on. Tremendous :-(

Storm-Troll
Thursday 19th November 2009, 19:49
Hi all.

when i had my S70R... i had them fitted and one of the Silver Boxes was Fitted Onto the side of the Battery.. stuck on I think... was there for 4 years.. never caused me a problem as there wasnt much space as u have said...

malibu1378
Sunday 29th November 2009, 23:11
Hi Cubes,
Those lights look great!
What colour temperature did you go for? Was it the 6000k kit?
Thank you
Paul

sebasteeno
Monday 30th November 2009, 09:15
Hi Cubes,
Those lights look great!
What colour temperature did you go for? Was it the 6000k kit?
Thank you
Paul

6000k is generally the one everyone goes for i reckon and gives a nice crisp bright white with just a hint of blue.
Heres mine (sorry for the thread hijack)
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk145/sebasteeno/My%20new%20Volvo%20V70/IMG_1545.jpg

malibu1378
Monday 30th November 2009, 18:55
Thank you, 6000k it is then! :)
Excuse my ignorance, but are the kits just the dipped beam?
Thank you
Paul

malibu1378
Monday 30th November 2009, 19:12
Thank you, 6000k it is then! :)
Excuse my ignorance, but are the kits just the dipped beam?
Thank you
Paul

And if so, can I fit a kit for the dipped and one for the main? or is it not worth it?!
Cheers
Paul

sebasteeno
Monday 30th November 2009, 19:15
Once fitted to your dipped headlights your full beam will basically become redundant. Get some nice led sidelights to match the hids otherwise youll have yellow looking sides.

This thread might be useful (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25214)

malibu1378
Monday 30th November 2009, 20:44
Once fitted to your dipped headlights your full beam will basically become redundant. Get some nice led sidelights to match the hids otherwise youll have yellow looking sides.

This thread might be useful (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25214)

Fantastic, thank you very much :)
Cheers
Paul

cameron
Monday 30th November 2009, 20:48
These are my LED Sidelights ........

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/P091109_1648.jpg

Even brighter than the Fog Lights.

Cubes
Tuesday 1st December 2009, 20:23
I got my LED sides from here.

CLICK ME (http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/501194t10-mini-light-tower-leds-xenon-white-bulb-p-1545.html?osCsid=edcf4ccd25bf5523196c92f5e12dea13)

My pictures earlier on in this thread don't do them justice, but at night they look awesome. And, like others have said, once you get HID's normal halogen bulbs look yellow. You won't be disappointed! Only think I would say is don't get more than a double tower coz they are usually too long for most fittings.

timbo_1975
Tuesday 1st December 2009, 21:30
I have 4300k's on both 70 cars here. IMHO, they are the single most effective and essential 'mod'. Indeed they almost make main beam redundenent!!

Has anyone fitted Main beam HID's to their P1 ?

malibu1378
Tuesday 15th December 2009, 18:13
Hi folks,
I fitted my hid kit (the same heligkeit ?? one mentioned here) the other day but one of the lights kept blowing the 15a fuse! I went through a few after fiddling with the wires and even a 20a one. One side works fine but one side keeps blowing. I changed the ballasts over and it blew the other side. I thought the ballast must be dodgy.
I emailed the seller and they suggested putting a 30a fuse in place of the 15a. Is that a wise idea? I'm not sure it is!! Surely if one ballasts works on the 15a it should work on the other side! Has anyone else had any issues with this?

Also I've been reading a few things about the legality of them in halogen headlights. Any comments?!

Due to this I'm tempted to upgrade to the black projector units, and indicator units, from PFV, but they're mega bucks compared to a small kit!

Thanks in advance for any advice
Paul

T5ER
Tuesday 15th December 2009, 18:51
seb love the front of your car but i think the horns need to be moved mate lol

LeeT5
Wednesday 16th December 2009, 00:44
Hi folks,
I fitted my hid kit (the same heligkeit ?? one mentioned here) the other day but one of the lights kept blowing the 15a fuse! I went through a few after fiddling with the wires and even a 20a one. One side works fine but one side keeps blowing. I changed the ballasts over and it blew the other side. I thought the ballast must be dodgy.
I emailed the seller and they suggested putting a 30a fuse in place of the 15a. Is that a wise idea? I'm not sure it is!! Surely if one ballasts works on the 15a it should work on the other side! Has anyone else had any issues with this?

Also I've been reading a few things about the legality of them in halogen headlights. Any comments?!

Due to this I'm tempted to upgrade to the black projector units, and indicator units, from PFV, but they're mega bucks compared to a small kit!

Thanks in advance for any advice
Paul

Hi Paul. Welcome to VPCUK! Having read your post i feel you have already diagnosed the fault. The fact that you keep blowing one of your headlamp fuses means you have a dead short. By moving the suspected faulty ballast to the other side and replicating the fault on the circuit known to be ok, you have infact correctly diagnosed the fault to be the Ballast! (well done). It stands to reason that if you swap ballasts again to the other side then the fuse on the same side should again blow (hopefully). If it does then you need to return the lights as i can assure you that you have a faulty ballast.
Under no circumstances fit a 30amp fuse to the headlamp circuit. This is a major fire risk. You will still have a dead short which instead of blowing the 15 amp fuse will now overload the wiring and associated components in that circuit. If you have a basic understanding of electrics then you will know about Amps and current flow, resistance etc etc. The points of high resistance are normally places where two different components join together ie a switch or plug. These are the points that can handle the least amount of current or electrical flow and these will be the weak points. If you have a dead short then without an amp meter you won't have any idea how much current is flowing however we already know it's more than 15 amps (thats why the fuse blows). If you swap to a 30 amp fuse then you could overload your wiring which could get hot then melt then dead short to earth and catch fire!! NOT GOOD!! :yikes:
So in the interests of safety and saving your car from turning to a hot melting pile of metal with flames reaching out of every orifice:firedevil...(i bet you don't carry a fire extinguisher?)...tell the **** the told you to put a 30 amp fuse in that he is a stupid fool!! (polite version) and that he clearly doesn't understand vehicle electrics.
So now you know. :smileypul

To answer your question...No. Don't fit a 30amp fuse, 15 amps is fine. I have the black projectors and indicators that you mention with 6000k Projector HIDS and i never went near the fuse box.

Hope that answers your question. ;)

Regards the legality...just make sure you fit the correct TYPE of HID bulb. If you have oe lights with a reflector lense then you must use the reflector type HID bulb. If you have the projector type light (like mine) then you need to fit the projector type bulb. Otherwise you will continually blind everyone because your beam pattern will not be correct and the light will be reflected all over the place, defeating the object of fitting HIDS in the first place. You should not get Glare from the other side of the road with HIDS. You will only get the glare on the nearside because that's where the light beam peaks off to the left. Ie like this:

6000K HIDS from HIDS4U.co.uk with Projector lights.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/LeeT5/HIDS%20and%20Projectors/ABMprojectors6000kHIDS011.jpg

My beam pattern, as you can see, is so sharp i have to be careful not to cut my finger on it!!! :)

timbo_1975
Wednesday 16th December 2009, 08:53
Looking at that beam with the projector lights & HID's looks 200% better than the standard lamp units!

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 16th December 2009, 10:09
I have matching LED side lights that go with my HIDs - from the same Ultraleds.co.uk site

volvokid
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 19:50
I have matching LED side lights that go with my HIDs - from the same Ultraleds.co.uk site

Just away to order for mine, better do the number plate while i'm at it.

volvokid
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 19:52
OMG I have to remove my lights to change bulbs

sebasteeno
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 19:54

Sell em to me for a tenner then and go back to standards:D

volvokid
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 20:05
Sell em to me for a tenner then and go back to standards:D

I haven't done it yet i'm stuck, I'm looking at my handbook but I don't know the LED equvlent to C5W and W5W. Can you help? am I bieng thick lol.

Found W5W but no C5W yet do you know the size Volvo use??

Volvostorm
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 22:36
I haven't done it yet i'm stuck, I'm looking at my handbook but I don't know the LED equvlent to C5W and W5W. Can you help? am I bieng thick lol.

Found W5W but no C5W yet do you know the size Volvo use??

W5w is the same as the 501 bulbs, according to autobulbs direct, thats whats fitted, lots of the on the 'bay

C5w is a festoon bulb
http://www.virtualvillage.co.uk/2-xenon-white-39mm-c5w-led-car-bulbs-with-8-leds-each-002510-067.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shcomp

volvokid
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 22:53
W5w is the same as the 501 bulbs, according to autobulbs direct, thats whats fitted, lots of the on the 'bay

C5w is a festoon bulb
http://www.virtualvillage.co.uk/2-xenon-white-39mm-c5w-led-car-bulbs-with-8-leds-each-002510-067.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shcomp

I managed to find it out lol but still not sure what size Volvo use for the festoons you get a few sizes. Think I'm going to order for all the interior lights as they seem to be C5w's as well

Jaseb77
Thursday 28th January 2010, 10:25

planned design flaws. New cars with 4/5 Euroncap stars i think have made headlights bulb changes a PITA

thebadger
Thursday 28th January 2010, 11:21
Fitting the LED sides to the projector headlights was a PITA if I remeber right.

The socket lives WAY under the headlight & is only easy to do if you rely on pulling the sidelight wires.

Re-fitting them again is just as bad, easy to miss the socket & pull the bulb out the holder!

volvokid
Thursday 28th January 2010, 12:48
I had a read on VOC and people were saying how easy it is to do and how good the design is, the manual shows it and it looks like its a caker to do.

Cubes
Friday 29th January 2010, 10:17
It is actually quite easy, and you don't have to pull on the wires. The rubber casing has, or should have, a little rubber nodule which sticks out from between the 2 wires. You can easily grab this with a pair of needle nose plyers and gently tug it out. Pop it back in in the same way. Job done!