PDA

View Full Version : Losing water

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 14:27
My 850 is losing water at an alarming rate. I've checked it all over for leaks, but nothing is apparent except when the engine is hot, the expansion tank cap leaks steam and a little coolant (sometimes steam comes pouring out from the bonnet edges). Its a new green cap I bought from PFV a couple of months ago.

So I'm thinking its either the tank cap (or some leak) or the system is being pressurized beyond its limits which points to the headgasket maybe?

Any ideas?

p fandango
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 15:36
i think it was FFM who had the actual bottle split around the neck which was leaking water out, might be an idea to check that

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 15:46
Ah, thanks for that matey, haven't tried that. Will go out and have a look.

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 17:11
Just been out and had a look at it. It does look like theres a small crack running half way round the neck where it meets the tank. I've tried to wobble it, and theres some tiny movement in it, plus the crack looks like its got dirt in it, so probably been getting bigger over time. So I'm gonna get a new one, and hope this fixes the problem.

Good call dude!

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/18112009231.jpg

p fandango
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 18:03
that was a lucky guess lol

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 18:42
that was a lucky guess lol
Its what this forum is for, drawing on past experiences for help and guidance on problems and other stuff.
Lucky guess or not, it was an option.

Cheers buddy.

storming
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 19:07
Have you checked the radiator? Is there any pressure in the expansion Tank?
If there is that rules out the tank, then look at the radiators oil cooler usual suspect leaks where the oil cooler joined to the side of the radiator!

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 19:19
Theres no visible leaking except around the expansion tank

storming
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 20:10
My 850 is losing water at an alarming rate. I've checked it all over for leaks, but nothing is apparent except when the engine is hot, the expansion tank cap leaks steam and a little coolant (sometimes steam comes pouring out from the bonnet edges). Its a new green cap I bought from PFV a couple of months ago.

So I'm thinking its either the tank cap (or some leak) or the system is being pressurized beyond its limits which points to the headgasket maybe?

Any ideas?

So there pressure in the bottle then? that would rule out the exsansion tank then?
Rule out head gasket if there is no water in your oil(white gunk on the dip stick).

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 23:15
Oil is fine, no gunk at all.

I'll get the engine tray off and have a gander at the radiator.