PDA

View Full Version : Strange Question

MattM
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 13:46
Hi Guys,

I understand that the ECU learns your driving style and makes adjustments? What does this actually involve? I have a geartronic T5 so I was wondering if perhaps resetting this learning process would make a difference? I've only had the car for 2 months so god knows what it has learnt from the previous owner.

Thanks

Liddo
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 13:54
i "believe" but i could be wrong, it learns your driving style, and i think with auto's, the boxes sort of adapt to it. Maybe the fueling changes too. What was average MPG when you bought the car, that might give you some indication of how it was driven, and also the radio channels. Mine where set to Radio 2, Classic, and Radio 4, need i say more ;

MattM
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 14:38
MPG varies widely, but never really goes above 25-27. Is it a good idea to reset these learned things?

wegal
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 15:11
The geartronic box is subject to frequent software updates, which make it much smoother in operation. The gearbox learns your driving style and holds or changed gear as it "thinks" you will want it to. The problem is that I drive mine very sedately most of the time and very quickly some of the time. I had the gearbox reset just before a track day... so mine seems to think its on a track and hold gears longer than perhaps is ideal for every day driving. However when i want to drive fast then it is really good.

My advice is get it reset/ software update done, and let the car learn how you drive. It seems to only be in learning mode for a while then it seems to stay in the method it learnt. I could be wrong on that, but mine seems stuck in "go fast" mode and hasnt changed in probably a year of ordinary driving.

The software updates also make for smoother gear changes especially in traffic when its changing from 1st to 2nd and back to first. Its not expensive to have done, about £25 if i remember correctly.

However if you have had an ECU upgrade you will need to check that the gearbox update doesnt over ride the ECU remap, cos it appears that mostly it will. Thats why mine hasnt been reset.

Of course i could be talking utter ££££££s.... it has been known lol.