PDA

View Full Version : knocking from the front end ....

preacher38
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 23:05
hello all

the car has developed a knock and a creak when on full lock nearside , am hoping its a shock that has gone but am doubtful as i have read posts about it on the forum , local garage that i use got a price for the suspension mounts front at an incredible price of £125 plus vat .... ouch!! .... do i need to replace both sides or will one side suffice if its not the shocker thats gone .... any advice would be appreciated ... i do most of the work on the car but the fronts are a no go area for me .... its a 2wd v70r 1998 model by the way ........cheers from big vin ...

cameron
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 23:10
I had the same thing on mine ( 855 ) it turned out to be the wishbone bushes.

Changed the wishbones and its stopped :B_thumb:

If changing them i always change as a pair then get 4 wheel allignment done.

scooter
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 23:25
i had the same knocking and it turned out to be anti roll bar links. I check everything and everything looked 100% no movement from nothing but on smooth road no knock but on town roads knock changed arb links all stopped the link rubbers where ripped to pieces

preacher38
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 23:34
cheers for the up fellas , have checked the roll bar links , change them every 10 to 12 months and the wishbone was replaced about 7 months ago , jacked the old gal up at the weekend and found there to be no play with either part , which leads me to suspension problems , have tried the old bounce test on the offending side but with her being so low she just sits just right without bouncing up and down as i would normally expect a crapper car to do , am hoping its nowt too serious with crimble looming and all , but suppose i do have to look after a rarity anyways ...... cheers .

nobananas
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 21:31
Just a point worth noting, you can't check anti roll bar links easily with one wheel jacked up as it loads up the anti-roll bar and takes out the play. It's better to check them with the wheels on the ground, you can do it on full lock by reaching around the wheel and checking for play. Also check that the lock stops on the wishbones are in place (small nylon pad, even put a little grease on them can help) as these can knock on full lock against the hub carrier.