PDA

View Full Version : Annoying neighbour with alarm that randomly goes off.

Baj
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 17:23
Now that neighbour is me :(

Why?

It seems to be completely random and has only started happening this last fortnight. Turning off the internal sensor seemed to help.

wegal
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 17:50
Mass movement sensor will be faulty, had this on mine and seen a few other posts with this problem. Its in the middle of the car in the roof panel... little square plastic box that unclips... but beware its a sod to clip back into place.

If you turn the internal sensor it will stop doing it.

RobbieH
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 18:59
Or your alarm module battery is dying

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23344

Baj
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 19:08
I went out and turned off the inner sensors and by the time I got back upstairs it was going again.
I went back out and checked it over, slammed doors etc. 5 mins later 'WoooOO WooOO'!
Reset, repeat and now it has stopped. 1 Hour later and no alarm noises.

Cheers Robbie, that seems more likely. How hard was it to hack apart? I am not paying that much for a battery!

RobbieH
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 22:45
I went out and turned off the inner sensors and by the time I got back upstairs it was going again.
I went back out and checked it over, slammed doors etc. 5 mins later 'WoooOO WooOO'!
Reset, repeat and now it has stopped. 1 Hour later and no alarm noises.

Cheers Robbie, that seems more likely. How hard was it to hack apart? I am not paying that much for a battery!

The unit is ultrasonically welded together so not easy to take apart. I ran a hacksaw on all 4 sides at the "joint" where the black siren meets the grey body. You can't just run a saw straight through from one side as you'll hack the internals apart. Then you will find a small circuit board plus the battery pack underneath a black plastic holder that is spot welded to the inside of the grey body.
"Luckily" in my unit one of cells in the battery pack had leaked and corroded one of the wires linking the battery to the circuit board, simple to repair. But others have reported that the circuit board had corroded.

So far I've not actually managed to source an alternative battery pack. Or rather I've found themon the net but not actually not got off my behind to actually see if I can actually buy them.