PDA

View Full Version : 850 T5 ex police cars?

dydigital
Monday 16th November 2009, 23:02
Hi Guys, whats did the police do to the 850's back in the day? someone told me they put bigger turbos on them. is this correct?

Thanks

colnotts
Monday 16th November 2009, 23:05
dont think they did mate. just better brakes i think

cameron
Monday 16th November 2009, 23:07
Better brakes and suspension from the diesel as it was stronger :D

storming
Monday 16th November 2009, 23:11
I believe they used the running gear from the diesel/awd ie bigger brake wishbone arms on the front.

colnotts
Monday 16th November 2009, 23:22
thats what i said lol...

storming
Monday 16th November 2009, 23:24
Lol

colnotts
Monday 16th November 2009, 23:26
yes i beat cameron to a reply lol.

cameron
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 00:13
LOL :D

Id love to know where al these rumours came from that the police add bigger turbos or chip their cars ?

The suspension is changed over as it is more heavy duty, mainly for carrying all that extra weight, and tubby coppers ;)

And the brakes well thats pretty obvious as to why they did that, all you have to do is hit the brakes from high speed to see why, they aint the best as 280's, they fade pretty badly, my next major mod will be a 302 set up from Rufe.

Colnotts - I'll get you next time my pretty , lol :hilarious

cherry1809
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 11:18
Mine's an Ex CID and doesn't have the bigger brakes (yet) don't supose they needed them.
Pretty sure it had different suspension though, Until I changed the springs anyway.

Al115
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 11:40
The rumours mainly come from people selling them :D

cookie
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 11:50
AFAIK on the 850's they calibrated the speedo, deteled the speed limiter, fitted 302 brakes and police spec pads, and drilled loads of holes in the usually Blue manky dashboard

The Diesel Suspension/wishbones etc AFAIK wasn't until V70's (although stand to be corrected), the P2's had reinforced chassis, the 850's would have more or less all been decommisoned and sold into public market by 2000/2001

People have looked far more into differences on the P2's (special fusebox, wiring, chassis....) and there is even somewhere floating around the net the Police spec brochure as published by volvo

90% of what is said about the mods on the explods is fiction

Most Ex plod 850's will have the blue poverty spec interior, although many will have been changed by now, still a few that could still pass as a reasonablly usable performance car :o

woody
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 10:17
And the brakes well thats pretty obvious as to why they did that, all you have to do is hit the brakes from high speed to see why, they aint the best as 280's, they fade pretty badly, my next major mod will be a 302 set up from Rufe.

Just done mine Cameron. Nice little mod, Brake Fade is a thing of the past.

leet5r
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 12:47
my m8 use to work at volvo and got sacked for doing a burnout in a s60 cop car and says they only have the bigger brakes and sus

wegal
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 13:25
Was it stratstones your mate worked for... they treated customers cars like ££££ as well

leet5r
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 13:37
Was it stratstones your mate worked for... they treated customers cars like ££££ as well

no m8 the 1 in sunderland

Shortbusdriver1969
Sunday 22nd November 2009, 18:02
yes i beat cameron to a reply lol.

Cameron Lives on here ;-)

Shortbusdriver1969
Sunday 22nd November 2009, 18:11
There has been a lot of debate on Ex-Donut muncher's cars not only volvo but senators and Omegas. However one thing I did hear was. It was only Brakes and suspension,
there was no playing about with ECU or any fancy super tune as this wouod invailidate the insurance ???
at the end of the day a T5 is a pretty dam fast car, as were the Senators.
I have friends in the force one once told me NEVER !!! buy a ex job car, cos they are abused to hell, IE on a blue light they dont slow done for speed humps and the like,
( when they are 'bored') they bugga off some where and rag them round car parks.
yes they do, years ago I had a training partner in the gym that was a traffic cop
told me, Oh at 3 am this morning ther were 4 of use 2 with senators 2 with NEW omegs
rag it around pock industrial estate in the snow. FFS !!!!! any way plod cars get ragged.
my advice is stay away from them:

cameron
Sunday 22nd November 2009, 18:18
Cameron Lives on here ;-)

Only when the agency dont find me any work and the Mrs is getting on at me, which is quite a lot of the time :cry:

Shortbusdriver1969
Sunday 22nd November 2009, 18:22
Hence you live on here dude, !! LoL

Tomcat
Sunday 22nd November 2009, 18:37
Only when the agency dont find me any work and the Mrs is getting on at me, which is quite a lot of the time :cry:

Gawd I know that feeling.....