PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone Poly Top mounted their D5???

Liddo
Monday 16th November 2009, 15:26
Hi Guys,

Ive just won a Poly Top Mount on Fleebay, but im thinking now whether Diesels may transmit more vibration into the cabin with a solid mount??? The original is ok, but only just and was thinking of replacing it anyway.

Anyone have any experience of the little yellow round bugger???

:D

Murphy
Monday 16th November 2009, 16:21
Surely you would be enhancing the engine sound, which is like a tractor? :P

Liddo
Monday 16th November 2009, 16:35

:haha:

cornclose
Monday 16th November 2009, 17:14
Yes, RobbieH did it, and it lasted a week or so. He couldn't stand it so much that he sold me the top mount!

Tomcat
Monday 16th November 2009, 17:19

Suppose it depends how into Massey Ferguson's you are,lol.

Liddo
Monday 16th November 2009, 19:23
Yes, RobbieH did it, and it lasted a week or so. He couldn't stand it so much that he sold me the top mount!

Great! :( Might try it first though :rolleyes:

RobbieH
Monday 16th November 2009, 19:38
Hi Guys,

Ive just won a Poly Top Mount on Fleebay, but im thinking now whether Diesels may transmit more vibration into the cabin with a solid mount??? The original is ok, but only just and was thinking of replacing it anyway.

Anyone have any experience of the little yellow round bugger???

:D

What I actually have is a bit of a combination:

Initially I did the "tight northern git" engine strut bar conversion from flexible to solid mounts using repair washers fom B&Q. Result - better turn in and just a little bit more 5pot noise when booting it.

I then bought a kit of Powerflex bushes but dropped a clanger and ordered the petrol kit which included the yellow version of the top mount whereas in reality the one for the D5 is purple. (Now got one of them as well).

On investigation it then turns out that I have the newer, squarer rubber insert top mount (actually changed under warranty when I bought the car) so I didn't bother changing it.

Next experiment was to powerflex the engine/gearbox torque mount. Now that was a disaster, the whole car shook and rattled in sympathy with the "tractor" up front up to 1000rpm (even though it smoothed out at speed plus the noise at WOT was something to make you smile about and the gearchange was very crisp and snappy). So I replaced the small mount with the original Volvo one and so I'm now running a hybrid. Still some additional noise in the cabin and the gear change is better than stock but not as good as when both bushes were powerflexed.

I've now sold the yellow top mount to CC as he does have a T5 and I'm sticking with my hybrid set up. A bit more noise in the cabin than stock but the improvements in handling are worth it and to be honest the noise when bootting it and at WOT are "pleasant" to my lugs for a 5pot oilburner.

I believe that Redbrick has Powerflexed his top mount and the torque mount but he spends more time on the motorway than in traffic (unlike me) plus the fact that MrsH made it quite obvious she was not a fan of the added noise and vibration.

One day I may get round to trying the purple top mount, just got to get my ar$e in gear but the weather is not exactly conducive to working outside at the moment.

HTH

Robbie

Redbrick
Monday 16th November 2009, 20:45
Actually my Powerflex top mount lasted a few days before I sold it on. Utter disaster on a D5 especially if you've stiffened up the top engine torque bar! I thought I should try it in the name of science, trust me don't do it.

Powerflexing the lower engine tie bar is just about acceptable if you keep moving, if you sit in traffic don't bother.

A lot of the mods used on the petrols are ok for the diesels but be wary of anything that might add to vibrations.

Liddo
Monday 16th November 2009, 22:33
Doh!

Ive bought a yellow one anyway, so it wont fit. I thought the newer cars had the yellows and the pre-99 cars had purple :slap:

Oh well, I'll stick it on here as soon as it arrives.

Cheers for the advice guys ;) helpfull as ever