PDA

View Full Version : rica or bsr

pjaystar
Sunday 15th November 2009, 10:18
im thinking to get one of the above or maybe if you got some thing different please let me know i do like the look of ipd but not sure about the shipping of parts as i want to buy a an exhaust as well i am new to volvos so can you also let me know where you get your parts from many thanks pj

Tomcat
Sunday 15th November 2009, 11:58
You can get a Rica from HLM in Brosmgrove for £150..

Chad
Sunday 15th November 2009, 11:59
Hi there,

i can supply both BSR and Genuine RICA along with support.

the bsr is a bit more 'relaxed' giving a progressive power output......

the rica gives a touch more of a punch on WOT........

BSR also do the 3" downpipe with sports cat.............

hth

chad

S70T5Chris
Sunday 15th November 2009, 12:24

Don't want to kick off a row. But why do you continually promote HLM's pirated software? It's no different than people offering illegal copies of Vadis.

cookie
Sunday 15th November 2009, 17:17
perhaps there should be a section for knock of DVD's in the for sale section. How can Chad and others sell Genuine Licensed RICA Software when Mods are promoting pirate versions of the same for 1/2 price

S70T5Chris
Sunday 15th November 2009, 17:23
perhaps there should be a section for knock of DVD's in the for sale section. How can Chad and others sell Genuine Licensed RICA Software when Mods are promoting pirate versions of the same for 1/2 price

Absolutely, it just amazes me.

Tomcat
Sunday 15th November 2009, 17:33
Tssk.... I have no preferences either way, however if someone is selling something cheap that (as far as I know) they are legaly allowed to do then I will mention it, in the end I'm only trying to help you lot save some money. If one of the other tuners had a cheap remap for sale I would be talking about that instead. Cookie, I don't appreciate your comment, Chris, no I don't want to start an arguement either, so can we let this drop please?.

S70T5Chris
Sunday 15th November 2009, 18:44
No, sorry Tomcat, I won't drop it. It's not about preference to any type of remap. If you want my opinion, any of the stage 1 maps are much a muchness, all seem to be safe, and pretty much give the same results. So, yes whilst I agree that price come into it, service, backup and after care are also an issue, and based on that I would opt for an MTE remap, having dealt with Kalmar Union before, I am very confident that should I ever need help they would be there for me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on that front.

All that aside a, completely different matter is advertising/promoting/suggesting that someone buys software that is not legitimate. HLM are not an authorised RICA dealer, and no longer purchase RICA software/licenses from RICA. However HLM are still selling RICA 280 and 304 remaps for pre-me7 cars. How? Because it is an illegal copy of a RICA file put onto your ECU. No different than a copy of a dvd movie, a copy of vadis, a copy of any other type of computer software. Just becuase it's cheap, doesn't make it right.

If you want to enter into a debate about it, then i'm happy to. If you want to 'drop it' then don't reply, lets just leave it at that.

Wombatbomb
Sunday 15th November 2009, 18:56
This is remarkably simple to deal with. An email received from RICA has been published several times on different forums, stating that any software purchased from HLM since some time last year under the name RICA is not genuine. Therefore, by default, it must be an unauthorised copy.

As has been said already, this is no different to supplying pirated copies of VADIS. If anyone posts questions about getting hold of VADIS on here, or how to obtain the passwords etc the mods immediately delete them. Odd then, that one of said mods repeatedly promotes the sale of pirated RICA software. Sounds distinctly like hypocrisy to me.

p fandango
Sunday 15th November 2009, 19:00
perhaps both of you can have a word with the moderator of your regular forum about removing this copyright infringement

LINK (http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?showtopic=8382)

which is even stickied :confused:

S70T5Chris
Sunday 15th November 2009, 19:34
perhaps both of you can have a word with the moderator of your regular forum about removing this copyright infringement

who rattled your cage? Lets not try and turn this into another forum vs forum arguement, and try and steer the thread in an irrelivant direction. If you have an issue with another forum, p!ss off over there and air your grievences.

p fandango
Sunday 15th November 2009, 19:41
who rattled your cage? Lets not try and turn this into another forum vs forum arguement, and try and steer the thread in an irrelivant direction. If you have an issue with another forum, p!ss off over there and air your grievences.
doesn't "free speech" count here then lol. I think my post is totally relivant, its showing double standards by yourself

My t5d5 account has been banned, no loss lol

Tomcat
Sunday 15th November 2009, 20:07
This is remarkably simple to deal with. An email received from RICA has been published several times on different forums, stating that any software purchased from HLM since some time last year under the name RICA is not genuine. Therefore, by default, it must be an unauthorised copy.

As has been said already, this is no different to supplying pirated copies of VADIS. If anyone posts questions about getting hold of VADIS on here, or how to obtain the passwords etc the mods immediately delete them. Odd then, that one of said mods repeatedly promotes the sale of pirated RICA software. Sounds distinctly like hypocrisy to me.

As far as I'm aware there has been no post made on this website regarding an email from RICA, being as I don't go on T5D5 and I also spend very little time on the VOC how the hell would I know about it?. As I said previously I have no preference for tuning companies, they're all a bloody long way away from me anyway so it makes little difference to me. As for turning this into another argument, I'm really not in the mood.

Tim Williams
Sunday 15th November 2009, 20:10
doesn't "free speech" count here then lol. I think my post is totally relivant, its showing double standards by yourself

This is one of your last posts, you can see you are not banned http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?s=&showtopic=4433&view=findpost&p=67651

As you can see the post after it is by Tony who is banned http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?s=&showtopic=4433&view=findpost&p=67652

irf
Sunday 15th November 2009, 20:13

everyone that gets banned has banned written in their profile/avatar or whatever, same with most if not all forums. yours doesn't. plus i see you logged in their most days which wouldn't be possible if you were banned.

edit. too slow lol. always have that problem!

pjaystar
Sunday 15th November 2009, 20:17
thanks for all of your input

Justin
Sunday 15th November 2009, 20:18
Right, Chris your out of order with your last comment towards Pedro.
Rightly i agree with what he has posted regarding t5d5, pot calling the kettle.......
You are all very quick to pick holes in vpc, its about time you pointed your observations at other antics :)

Regarding the topic at hand though, i have to agree with whats being stated, (even if i am not keen on the way its been presented) I have had in my possesion some facts relating to the so called HLM cheapies for some time, however i cannot blanket ban the discussion of them without proof that they are indeed Rica software. Likely yes it is, but as i dont have proof i cannot act, so if someone is in possesion of such then please forward it to me and i will act on it.

pjaystar feel free to start a new thread or continue this :)

p fandango
Sunday 15th November 2009, 20:20
This is one of your last posts, you can see you are not banned http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?s=&showtopic=4433&view=findpost&p=67651

As you can see the post after it is by Tony who is banned http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?s=&showtopic=4433&view=findpost&p=67652
my account password has been changed without my permission or knowledge, i've also tried the "i've forgot my password" function to find out what my password has been changed to but the automatic email has never been sent, that function has either been disabled or my email address changed so i don't recieve it. Banned or removed not sure what the difference is?

as i say no loss, sorry to the OP that the thread has gone off topic

Flatout Phil
Sunday 15th November 2009, 20:26
thanks for all of your input
Hi PJstar, Is that a red R in your avatar thingy?

S70T5Chris
Sunday 15th November 2009, 20:27
Right, Chris your out of order with your last comment towards Pedro.
Rightly i agree with what he has posted regarding t5d5, pot calling the kettle.......
You are all very quick to pick holes in vpc, its about time you pointed your observations at other antics :)

Regarding the topic at hand though, i have to agree with whats being stated, (even if i am not keen on the way its been presented) I have had in my possesion some facts relating to the so called HLM cheapies for some time, however i cannot blanket ban the discussion of them without proof that they are indeed Rica software. Likely yes it is, but as i dont have proof i cannot act, so if someone is in possesion of such then please forward it to me and i will act on it.

pjaystar feel free to start a new thread or continue this :)

How is it out of order? The guy has a problem with something on T5D5, why is he asking me to address it? He logs onto the site all the time, yet he tries to maintain that he's banned and can't post! He's spineless more like.

I haven't condoned any copyrighted material on T5D5, so how am I a hypocrit?

Where was I picking holes in VPC?

pjaystar
Sunday 15th November 2009, 20:31
i wish i did not ask its all a bit much. why did we all join ? cos we all have volvo and its good to get every ones opinion we should not be having handbags at ten

Tomcat
Sunday 15th November 2009, 20:33
Appologies for your thread going "Waaaay" off topic, saldy this is an age old arguement and as such it will always cause controversy and fights.

Justin
Sunday 15th November 2009, 20:35
How is it out of order? The guy has a problem with something on T5D5, why is he asking me to address it? He logs onto the site all the time, yet he tries to maintain that he's banned and can't post! He's spineless more like.

I haven't condoned any copyrighted material on T5D5, so how am I a hypocrit?

Where was I picking holes in VPC?

Chris stop being a victim.

Forum rules state no abuse language towards another member, piss off is included, thats where your liability ends.

I didnt call you a hypocrit.

Did i say specifically you?

Read my post again :)

pjaystar
Sunday 15th November 2009, 20:36
flatout phil yes that is my R with my seat in the background

irf
Sunday 15th November 2009, 20:37
pjaystar, there's not much difference between any of the off the shelf stage 1 maps. if you want to mod further an MTE map is what i'd recommend as it can be quite easily be accommodated.

partsforvolvosonline sell some IPD stuff, got my anti roll bars from them.

exhaust, you can try Don at kalmar union who also handles MTE software in the UK. think he sells his ferrita catback exhausts for about £3-320

Flatout Phil
Sunday 15th November 2009, 20:46
flatout phil yes that is my R with my seat in the background

FANTASTIC! Another London R. Auto or dare I ask manual? Rare breed - so good to hear someone not THAT far away. I'm in SE9. More pics of mine on my albums.

Flatout Phil
Sunday 15th November 2009, 20:48
What Seat is it? Only got my netbook tonight so miniscule screen. I hankered after a Leon Cupra R in Ovni Yellow for quite a while.

pjaystar
Sunday 15th November 2009, 20:51
mine is a manual got it one month ago one owner full s/h got the orginal bil of sale she needs a little bit of work then i will add more pics

S70T5Chris
Sunday 15th November 2009, 20:53
Chris stop being a victim.

Forum rules state no abuse language towards another member, piss off is included, thats where your liability ends.

I didnt call you a hypocrit.

Did i say specifically you?

Read my post again :)

You did call me a hypocrit 'pot calling kettle...' is what that implies.

My humbelist appologies for telling Pedro to piss off, I feel absolutely ashamed of myself, and express my deepest regret to anyone that was offended in my telling Pedrofandabydosey to PISS OFF.

I'm not being a victim. I appreciate that you are taking a look at what has been said with regards to unauthorised copies of RICA software from HLM, and would like to see more info on it.

But i'm getting more and more pissed off with people pushing that £££££ from HLM just because it's cheap. It's cheap for a reason. The last thing a MOD on this forum should be doing is advertising pirated software.

pjaystar
Sunday 15th November 2009, 20:57
its a arosa lol i use it for work the volvo is my kids taxi

Justin
Sunday 15th November 2009, 21:01
You did call me a hypocrit 'pot calling kettle...' is what that implies.

My humbelist appologies for telling Pedro to piss off, I feel absolutely ashamed of myself, and express my deepest regret to anyone that was offended in my telling Pedrofandabydosey to PISS OFF.

I'm not being a victim. I appreciate that you are taking a look at what has been said with regards to unauthorised copies of RICA software from HLM, and would like to see more info on it.

But i'm getting more and more pissed off with people pushing that £££££ from HLM just because it's cheap. It's cheap for a reason. The last thing a MOD on this forum should be doing is advertising pirated software.

It wasnt directed at YOU, it was a general statement, final warning for your language!

Flatout Phil
Sunday 15th November 2009, 21:17
its a arosa lol i use it for work the volvo is my kids taxi

Arosa, yes we had one of those for about ten years - only car we ever bought new: black 1.4MPI - a great little motor - sold it to my brother and it is still going great. My view on chipping, well, I think you generally get what you pay for - mine is RICA but there are other ways of doing it. I must tell you that the difference between a standard car and a chipped one is startling. I was astonished. My manual T5 that had always seemed extremely rapid suddenly felt like a slug when I got the R (which is nominally 35bhp up on the original build T5) with a RICA. The performance is BREATHTAKING especially in the mid-range. You are welcome to drop down for a quick ride if you want to experience it. Previous owner did great job of sorting the car with help from RT Mechanics - the only minor things I have done are to fit larger front brakes and seven seats: essential with the kids.

storming
Sunday 15th November 2009, 21:50
If HLM are selling the RICA Chips that they brought from RICA when they were an agent for them, do they not have a right to sell of there remaining stock they Paid for?
I may like to add that if they were using Pirated chips then Rica would have called the Police?

Redbrick
Sunday 15th November 2009, 22:05
BSR PPC is only supported for two years:

http://en.bsr.se/support-agreement/

Who can sign the BSR support agreement?
We offer the support agreement to all customers that buy, or already have bought, PPC Tuning System. The support agreement is included in the price and free of charge for two years from the time of buying. After that we offer you to renew the agreement one year at a time, costing 600SEK/year. The agreement is affiliated with the car. When exchanging car the agreement is transferred to the new owner.

So if after two years you get a new software update from Volvo and have to send your file off to BSR via the PPC its going to cost you £50

Edit: not sure if you can get a PPC for the 850's? Probably just a flash or new chip on them, so ignore the above.

Tomcat
Sunday 15th November 2009, 22:14
The last thing a MOD on this forum should be doing is advertising pirated software.

As mentioned previously (If you'd bothered to read my reply), I am not aware of any email from RICA and therefore can't really have the opinion that this is as you put it 'Pirated software', I can only go on what I was told.

Enough of the swearing please.

S70T5Chris
Sunday 15th November 2009, 22:26
As mentioned previously (If you'd bothered to read my reply), I am not aware of any email from RICA and therefore can't really have the opinion that this is as you put it 'Pirated software', I can only go on what I was told.

It's been mentioned on this forum previously, you know it has. So playing the 'playing dumb' card doesn't wash with me i'm affraid.

Justin has already warned me for my terrible language, so there's no need for you to re-iterate, thanks Tomcat.

Tomcat
Sunday 15th November 2009, 22:31
?????. Why the hell do you have such a crap attitude?, do you have a problem with me?, I merely stated that I have seen no mention previously of this email, if I'm wrong then please point it out, I do have a shockingly crap memory so it is possible that I've forgotten about it. If coming on this forum is such an ordeal that you feel the need to bite off everyone's head that has a different opinion to you then please don't bother.

S70T5Chris
Sunday 15th November 2009, 22:31
If HLM are selling the RICA Chips that they brought from RICA when they were an agent for them, do they not have a right to sell of there remaining stock they Paid for?
I may like to add that if they were using Pirated chips then Rica would have called the Police?

It doesn't work like that. They would pay for the license on remaps they sold. Not buy up hundreds of remaps, have them in stock and then sell them on!

RICA are based in the netherlands. As to why they haven't taken any action I do not know. Perhaps as they are so far away? But the longer this goes on, the more fuss is going to be kicked up about it.

Adam's reading this thread as I write this. Come on Adam, can you comment at all? What do you think? Am I right or wrong?

S70T5Chris
Sunday 15th November 2009, 22:36
?????. Why the hell do you have such a crap attitude?, do you have a problem with me?, I merely stated that I have seen no mention previously of this email, if I'm wrong then please point it out, I do have a shockingly crap memory so it is possible that I've forgotten about it. If coming on this forum is such an ordeal that you feel the need to bite off everyone's head that has a different opinion to you then please don't bother.

It's not that I have a problem with you personally. It's not that I have a different opinion to you or anyone else.

I don't care one bit of someone has RICA, BSR, Superchip, MTE, Upsolute, or whatever remap Tom. But I do care that HLM are selling knocked off maps at a super cheap price for their own gain, at the expense of all the other tuners out there. As I said before, it's piracey, no different than any other.

Tomcat
Sunday 15th November 2009, 22:37
That's fine, as I've said previously if I thought for one minute that it was illegal then I would certainly not be mentioning it.

T5-Andy
Monday 16th November 2009, 11:47
Anyone who doubts that;

1. Hamish does not sell genuine Rica products, and,

2. That Hamish claims to customers that what they are buying is a Rica product

Only needs to read "Bruce's Thread" in the event horizon at T5D5, it's all there including PM's.

leet5r
Monday 16th November 2009, 12:39
i do not know what exhuast to get or remap . but this make good readin never the less lol keep up the good work guys lol

jez.w
Monday 16th November 2009, 13:28
I cant see the problem, i have an HLM 280 £150 (for over a year now). It was sold to me as an HLM rica map, if they are illeagal copies then that is a different matter, but i bought it in good faith. It wasnt some backstreet deal, its advertised on his website. It is a great deal infact and my car goes like rocket. It also helps keep other peoples maps prices down on these old cars. If its dodgy then Hamish would have been stopped by now as this has been going on for over a year or so. Seems some people are bitter about something? As a customer i bought the remap in good faith for the best price, why would i go to another place and pay more for a similar thing just because HLM was too cheap?

Also If your car is running without any faults then a 280 or 304 wont damage your car as mentioned in another post

Okete
Monday 16th November 2009, 13:29
i do not know what exhuast to get or remap . but this make good readin never the less lol keep up the good work guys lol

Lee,

I kind of understand why you say this 'makes good reading' - in the same way that people enjoy looking at pile-ups on the motorway I suppose.

I think it is all rather sad - poor old pjaystar came on here with a legitimate query, being a fairly new member he wouldn't have expected the response he has received. The thread he started has been hijacked by the 'RICA topic' mafia and he still hasn't been given much help by most members!

What kind of forum has this turned into?
What sort of impression are we sending out?

On the one hand we have a current thread, quite rightly berating the attitude of the VOC towards a casual query, yet we produce this shameful 'Pavlovian' response to the word RICA!!

If this RICA/HLM/T5D5 saga was a soap opera it's fans would have deserted it in droves - the plot just repeats itself with each episode and the cast never changes - same old faces, same old lines!!

Cheers,
John.

leet5r
Monday 16th November 2009, 13:34
Lee,

I kind of understand why you say this 'makes good reading' - in the same way that people enjoy looking at pile-ups on the motorway I suppose.

I think it is all rather sad - poor old pjaystar came on here with a legitimate query, being a fairly new member he wouldn't have expected the response he has received. The thread he started has been hijacked by the 'RICA topic' mafia and he still hasn't been given much help by most members!

What kind of forum has this turned into?
What sort of impression are we sending out?

On the one hand we have a current thread, quite rightly berating the attitude of the VOC towards a casual query, yet we produce this shameful 'Pavlovian' response to the word RICA!!

If this RICA/HLM/T5D5 saga was a soap opera it's fans would have deserted it in droves - the plot just repeats itself with each episode and the cast never changes - same old faces, same old lines!!

Cheers,
John.

haha eastenders couldnt rite a script like this lol. haha a just hope the lad ends up this the exhaust and remap that he wants lol

hamish
Monday 16th November 2009, 17:24

Dear James Ross,

All that you have is an email from Roel Junior stating that we are no longer the distributors or agents for Rica Engineering.
What I have agreed not to do is use the Rica Logo or name in any of my marketing or advertising. Which is fine as I no longer want to promote the Rica 'brand'.
It would be misrepresentation not to sell these tunes as what they are: an ECM file that was modified by Rica Engineering for us.
I purchased these files many years ago from Rica and have been using them as 'master' files for a number of years with Rica's knowledge.
Rica do not hold any copyright on these files as they are a Volvo file that has been slightly modified by Rica.
Selling a tune for a car that is now 12+ years old for £150 can hardly be described as a crime or scam. When others are recyclinging their tunes 100's of times for £300 a pop.

I have not broken any laws. Misrepresented any products or services. And the back up WE give with these tunes is far superior than anything you will ever get from Rica.

Regards,
Hamish.
www.hlmtuning.co.uk

Jamest5r
Monday 16th November 2009, 17:36
That's that sorted then...........:hidesbehi :B_thumb:

jez.w
Monday 16th November 2009, 17:37
Dear James Ross,

All that you have is an email from Roel Junior stating that we are no longer the distributors or agents for Rica Engineering.
What I have agreed not to do is use the Rica Logo or name in any of my marketing or advertising. Which is fine as I no longer want to promote the Rica 'brand'.
It would be misrepresentation not to sell these tunes as what they are: an ECM file that was modified by Rica Engineering for us.
I purchased these files many years ago from Rica and have been using them as 'master' files for a number of years with Rica's knowledge.
Rica do not hold any copyright on these files as they are a Volvo file that has been slightly modified by Rica.
Selling a tune for a car that is now 12+ years old for £150 can hardly be described as a crime or scam. When others are recyclinging their tunes 100's of times for £300 a pop.

I have not broken any laws. Misrepresented any products or services. And the back up WE give with these tunes is far superior than anything you will ever get from Rica.

Regards,
Hamish.
www.hlmtuning.co.uk

Seems fair enough to me.

pjaystar
Monday 16th November 2009, 18:04
hopefully that will put this to bed

storming
Monday 16th November 2009, 19:56

And good Night!

S70T5Chris
Monday 16th November 2009, 21:36

On the contrary, it's just the beginning...

T5-Andy
Monday 16th November 2009, 22:07
Dear James Ross,

Regards,
Hamish.
www.hlmtuning.co.uk

O RLY Hamish, is that right??

"...far superior"...hmmmm.....hmmmmm, I think you might just be contradicting the previous sentance there Hamish, yes, the bit where you say you "have not...Misrepresented any...services" because as far as I'm aware no other Rica retailer has the reputation you do for telling very disappointed (to say the very least) customers to "F**k off" is that the sort of "back up" you had in mind Hamish??? And when you say "What I have agreed not to do is use the Rica Logo or name in any of my marketing" why do you routinely, it seems, claim in e-mails that what you are selling is in fact a Rica map.

Now you cannot have your cake and eat it here Hamish, you're telling lies here, either the above is a complete tissue of lies, OR, e-mails you have sent to customers are filled with lies, which is it??

And while we're about it, what exactly is a Volvo 're-map' if not "a Volvo file that has been slightly modified"-so what you're selling is a copy of a Rica re-map then yes? Yet you clearly DO NOT have their consent to do so do you Hamish?

As for recycling tunes "100's" of times, no Hamish, stop trying to justify your behaviour by pretending that legitimate traders are somehow in the wrong here. How many re-maps do you sell a week? It's hardly as if people are queing around the block now is it?? So to have any hope whatsoever of recouping investments and funding future development one must be able to be sure that someone isn't going to start ripping off software and shifting it on through the back-door at unsustainable prices. Of course, none of this bothers you does it? Because you haven't developed anything have you? And when your half arsed efforts go tits-up, you resort to telling the afflicted to "F**k Off" whilst going around telling slanderous tales about them, isn't that in fact correct Hamish?

Just a few questions there for you Hamish, the ball is in your court, over to you then,

Regards,

Andy

storming
Monday 16th November 2009, 22:28
I take it you have not got a hlm map in your car then Andy?
Why do you dislike Hamish so much, hey people make mistakes dont they?

Flatout Phil
Monday 16th November 2009, 22:34
I reckon this thread must have been one of the most viewed for such a short period - worthy of note just for that - over 1000 hits so far. 18 people currently viewing it.

colnotts
Monday 16th November 2009, 22:39
ITS BETTER THAN ANY SOAP ON THE TELLY lol

T5-Andy
Monday 16th November 2009, 22:59
I take it you have not got a hlm map in your car then Andy?
Why do you dislike Hamish so much, hey people make mistakes dont they?

You are very astute, no I don't.

Make no mistake, this is NOT personal but everyone here should be very wary of Hamish and his ilk, they WILL ruin the mapping scene, you may be aware that from the 2009 model year, Volvo (Bosch) ECU's have a full suite of security measures making tuning via the usual methods extremely difficult requiring huge sums in investment to gain access, why oh why would anybody make such an investment for what is after all a very small niche market when people are out there without any scruples whatsoever like Hamish who just don't care about the intellectual rights of the authors of this software???

Carry on and we'll all end up with either nothing or VERY, VERY little choice whatsoever, and when that happens-well no-one will be paying £150 per map nor £300, no when just one or two have the ability to produce this stuff you WILL pay £1000+, and just what is wrong with paying £300, it's hardly extortion is it? You pay more than that to insure your car EVERY YEAR without complaint.

As for people making mistakes, that is not the issue, it is what you do when you've made a mistake that is the measure of a man, and when tested Hamish was found to come up VERY short indeed.

Hope this answers your question, now if Hamish wouldn't mind answering mine?

Kind regards,

Andy

storming
Monday 16th November 2009, 23:16
I do not wish to be rude, but you can go out and buy a fair T5 for £300 pounds, so why buy a map for the car that is worth more than the car?

T5-Andy
Monday 16th November 2009, 23:38
I do not wish to be rude, but you can go out and buy a fair T5 for £300 pounds, so why buy a map for the car that is worth more than the car?

Your reasoning is fatally flawed here, following your logic then, as the car deteriorates to scrap so you should be able to obtain parts for lesser and lesser amounts of money, but that just isn't so is it, you cannot pop down to your local Volvo dealer and plead that as the car only cost £300 they should sell you an engine for £200 can you?

No-one has a gun to your head here, if you chose to buy a £300 car that is your perogative but to measure the cost of tuning and performance parts against the cost of buying a 13 year old car is complete nonesense, it is I note, the oft wheeled out argument for the £150 tune but beware, it WILL cost us ALL dearly in the end if we go down this road, and for what?

£300 IS NOT a lot of money, doesn't matter what the car cost you, the product you're buying is still the same isn't it?

Kind regards,

Andy

colnotts
Monday 16th November 2009, 23:45
so why buy it for £300 its the same you just said

C70 GTT5
Monday 16th November 2009, 23:49
Not been on this forum long, enjoy coming on here because people seem really helpful an not bitchy like some other forums i have been on, was i wrong? :nono::Handshake

volvokid
Monday 16th November 2009, 23:51
so why buy it for £300 its the same you just said

I think he's trying to say if you buy something knock off (not saying it is) it will affect the bigger picture.
I buy all my cleaning products from polished bliss I know I can get there stuff cheaper elsewhere but I go there because there advice is priceless, if everyone stopped going there for products they might stop that side of there business therefore no more advice to me, bang!! I would should my self in the foot...
It doesn’t always pay to be a cheap skate

cameron
Monday 16th November 2009, 23:52
Hamish seems to be like Marmite, some people like him others hate him, its a loooooooooong story ;)

Have a look about for some of the information or ask lads like s70t5chris ;)

volvokid
Monday 16th November 2009, 23:53
Not been on this forum long, enjoy coming on here because people seem really helpful an not bitchy like some other forums i have been on, was i wrong? :nono::Handshake

They have there moments on here lol. I think it can be funny to read at times I hardly get involved its usually the same people you will find having a debate.

colnotts
Monday 16th November 2009, 23:56
you hit the nail on the head there cameron.

colnotts
Monday 16th November 2009, 23:59
very true volvo kid lol.
feel sorry for the poor fella who started the post .

volvokid
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 00:01
very true volvo kid lol.
feel sorry for the poor fella who started the post .

To be honnest I havnt read it lol, I was having a flick through T5D5 and thought there could be trouble a stir which lead me to here lol.

As soon as i seen the title to this thread i knew it would end up turning, remap threads always do.

I'm just waiting to log on 2morro and see the paddlock on the thread.

colnotts
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 00:03
i know what you mean. its the same old story again and again.

Loadsamiles
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 00:31

The e-mail

Dear Joules,

To answer your question, HLM is no longer a Rica dealer and is no longer allowed to sell any Rica products.
So it is not a genuine Rica product.

Kind regards,

Roel jr

Van: Juxxxxxxxxll [mailto:joules@hotmail.co.uk]
Verzonden: Thursday, October 02, 2008 2:29 AM
Aan: Roel van den Brink Jr
Onderwerp: RICA 280 / 305 Volvo ECU Upgrades.

Dear Sirs.

I am enquiring with regard to some Volvo motronic 4.3, 4.4 ECU upgrades being sold by an ex-dealer of yours in the UK by the name of Hamish Lindsay.

I have already had a RICA 310 ECU upgrade fitted to my ME7 Volvo V70 and am interested in finding out about some supposed Volvo 850 RICA 305 ECU upgrades being sold very cheap by HLM of Bromsgrove UK.

I have been pointed in his direction by various people with regards to a £150 GBP ECU upgrade that is being sold as either 280 or 305 version. I have not seen him use the RICA name, but people to whom he has sold these upgrades are claiming they are RICA, and have gained this impression by talking to him. By selling 280 or 305 upgrades there is suficient implication that they are the RICA 280 or 305 product that he was selling when he was a RICA dealer.
HLM are selling these as exchange units, requiring the return of a similar ECU, which suggests that the returned ECU would be re-flashed and sold on as part of an on-going sales operation.

I therefore ask the following questions to help me make a decision on the matter.

1, Would HLM be legitimately selling a genuine RICA 280 or 305 ECU upgrade that buyers can be confident carries all RICA support?

2, Could HLM be selling off a surplus stock of genuine RICA ECUs?

3, Is this £150 a genuine RICA supported price?

I would only be interested in sourcing genuine tried and tested ECU upgrades, so it's important to me to know I could trust what was being offered. Your replies to these questions would allow me to make a decision on this matter. I'd rather pay the correct price for the software than pay the price later in repairs.

This was where the upgrade was brought to my attention,
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php...7654&page=2

Thanks for your attention.

Joules.

Loadsamiles
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 00:34
Dear James Ross,

they are a Volvo file that has been slightly modified by Rica.

I have not broken any laws. Misrepresented any products or services.

Regards
Hamish.
www.hlmtuning.co.uk

Draw your own conclusions.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t82/j0u1es/vpcuklarge.jpg

leet5r
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 00:41

some 1 sell me a t5 for 300 quid please lol

sorry bad joke

leet5r
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 00:44
all i want for christmas is a remap lol

T5-Andy
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 06:44
I think he's trying to say if you buy something knock off (not saying it is) it will affect the bigger picture.
I buy all my cleaning products from polished bliss I know I can get there stuff cheaper elsewhere but I go there because there advice is priceless, if everyone stopped going there for products they might stop that side of there business therefore no more advice to me, bang!! I would should my self in the foot...
It doesn’t always pay to be a cheap skate

Absolutely right and additionally of course as I said before, there are on-going development issues to consider here as well. I do also worry about people who seem so hung up on paying such poultry sums for tuning a car. I would like to think that before anyone went about getting 1 more Brake Horse from an engine that they had ensured that the brakes, tyres, suspension, steering etc. were tip-top, someone who quibbles over a couple of hundred quid hardly strikes me as the sort who'd be prepared to spend the sums required to make sure all of the above is OK.

Justin
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 08:07
To be honnest I havnt read it lol, I was having a flick through T5D5 and thought there could be trouble a stir which lead me to here lol.

Says it all really, the thread stays open, thanks for all of the information to date :)

storming
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 10:30
Any one who is thinking about about HLM remap, but worry there are not paying enough can give there spare money to me via PayPal?

jez.w
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 11:57
You are very astute, no I don't.

Make no mistake, this is NOT personal but everyone here should be very wary of Hamish and his ilk, they WILL ruin the mapping scene, you may be aware that from the 2009 model year, Volvo (Bosch) ECU's have a full suite of security measures making tuning via the usual methods extremely difficult requiring huge sums in investment to gain access, why oh why would anybody make such an investment for what is after all a very small niche market when people are out there without any scruples whatsoever like Hamish who just don't care about the intellectual rights of the authors of this software???

Carry on and we'll all end up with either nothing or VERY, VERY little choice whatsoever, and when that happens-well no-one will be paying £150 per map nor £300, no when just one or two have the ability to produce this stuff you WILL pay £1000+, and just what is wrong with paying £300, it's hardly extortion is it? You pay more than that to insure your car EVERY YEAR without complaint.

As for people making mistakes, that is not the issue, it is what you do when you've made a mistake that is the measure of a man, and when tested Hamish was found to come up VERY short indeed.

Hope this answers your question, now if Hamish wouldn't mind answering mine?

Kind regards,

Andy

Im not being rude here but the above statement is absolute rubbish and this topic has gone on far too long, some people are very bitter about something??? These are legal maps owned by Hamish, but not being advertised as Rica anylonger. They will not affect modern cars which need expensive equipment to remap them. These are old cars which use old technology.The customer has the right to choose where he/she gets legal remaps for the best price!

phil_woods
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 12:05
I have no connections to anyone on here but if map isn't copyright protected and someone has the same product then it's fair game in my opinion. Also if someone is selling it cheaper then the competitor has to lower there prices which is good for the consumer aka fuel price wars. I don't see what the problem is with hlm, if you ask me rica perhaps should have put a patent on the map. Also hlm bought the map initially. Makes me laugh how people can moan and kick off on a forum but probably wouldn't have the guts to say things face to face. Take from that what you want. Sick to death of people bitchin on a bloody computer forum ffs.

T5-Andy
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 12:23
I ...but probably wouldn't have the guts to say things face to face...Oh, try me!!!. Take from that what you want. Sick to death of people bitchin on a bloody computer forum ffsSounds to me rather like you're the one bitching, I was having a productive debate based on fact.

:nutkick:

T5-Andy
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 12:29
Im not being rude here but the above statement is absolute rubbish and this topic has gone on far too long, some people are very bitter about something??? These are legal maps owned by HamishAccording to whom-Hamish, don't make me laugh, but not being advertised as Rica anylongerNOT TRUE-see e-mails sent by Hamish. They will not affect modern cars which need expensive equipment to remap them. These are old cars which use old technologyAnd you somehow think that these are unconnected? Now THAT is rubbish.The customer has the right to choose where he/she gets legal?????!!!!! remaps for the best price!

I would imagine some people are very bitter and not without very good cause, you are either unaware of the facts or simply don't care I'm not sure which I'd think worse!

jez.w
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 13:15
I would imagine some people are very bitter and not without very good cause, you are either unaware of the facts or simply don't care I'm not sure which I'd think worse!

you need to chill out...............

Colin850
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 13:32
I normally stay out of these debates/arguements as it seems very obvious that some people just dont listen to any advice they're given regarding the dealings of HLM.
However i have to say i find this site a bit of a joke!
I'm all for free speech and the fact that everyone has their own opinions but how a forum can openly promote the selling of illegal remaps is beyond me!
Whether you call them HLM/RICA/modified volvo maps/whatever, it doesn't change the fact that HLM are selling somebody elses maps without there consent, that in my eyes is stealing!!

hamish
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 15:18
I normally stay out of these debates/arguements as it seems very obvious that some people just dont listen to any advice they're given regarding the dealings of HLM.
I'm all for free speech and the fact that everyone has their own opinions but how a forum can openly promote the selling of illegal remaps is beyond me!
Whether you call them HLM/RICA/modified volvo maps/whatever, it doesn't change the fact that HLM are selling somebody elses maps without there consent, that in my eyes is stealing!!

Colin,

They are not illegal copies, they are not somebody elses maps that I am selling without consent. They are master tuning files that I purchased from Rica Engineering a number of years ago. The fact that I am no longer the UK distributor and Roel Jr has a limited understanding of the English Language and the word 'genuine' is irrelevant I AM NOT STEALING. I have good title to these files and I shall continue to to sell them as I always have for what they are, and for what they are worth.

Regards,
Hamish.

Jimmie
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 15:39
Colin,

They are not illegal copies, they are not somebody elses maps that I am selling without consent. They are master tuning files that I purchased from Rica Engineering a number of years ago. The fact that I am no longer the UK distributor and Roel Jr has a limited understanding of the English Language and the word 'genuine' is irrelevant ((WHAT DOES THAT MEAN][/SIZE])AM NOT STEALING. I have good title to these files and I shall continue to to sell them as I always have for what they are, and for what they are worth.

Regards,
Hamish.

Would it not be the case as long as you were an agent you could use there software,a lot of companies work that way?.

storming
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 20:30
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-850-855-ECU-CHIP-280BHP-TURBO-T5-T5-R_W0QQitemZ170407941789QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsP arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item27ad1ad69d

hamish
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 21:11
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-850-855-ECU-CHIP-280BHP-TURBO-T5-T5-R_W0QQitemZ170407941789QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsP arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item27ad1ad69d

Superb I wonder what Mr. Norchi has to say about £90 tunes from Sweden. I wonder if it is ripped MTE???

Tomcat
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 21:11

Can I just add that as far as I was concerned these where not illegal copies or anything else of that ilk otherwise I would never of mentioned them. From the amount of controversy it has caused I shall certainly keep my mouth shut in future, far be it for me to try and save our members some money.

T5-Andy
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 21:24
From the amount of controversy it has caused I shall certainly keep my mouth shut in future.

Probably wise as if someone were to go to HLM and leave with a melted piston (as some have) on the strength of your reccomendation it may leave a bitter aftertaste, particularly as they would then fall to the tender mercies of Hamish's aftersales service, which I believe consists of two words;

"**** OFF"

Still given Hamish's assurances I feel sure that the "**** OFF" you'll get will be second to none!!!!! :rotfl:

paulsimon
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 00:27
And so on and so on.

Colin850
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 00:36
Can I just add that as far as I was concerned these where not illegal copies or anything else of that ilk otherwise I would never of mentioned them. From the amount of controversy it has caused I shall certainly keep my mouth shut in future, far be it for me to try and save our members some money.

My comment wasn't directed at you inparticular. If in fact your statement about knowing nothing about it is true then its obvious you were only doing what you thought was best for the members.
It was more aimed at the amount of people that have actually tried to defend the selling of these maps. Whether HLM claim to have bought the 'master' file or not, it doesn't change the fact that they are still being advertised as RICA maps when in fact RICA have nothing to do with them anymore.
Do you think they'd have sold half as many maps if people didn't know they were originally a RICA map?

Loadsamiles
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 01:58

LMAO..

Now thanks to your post there is also a linky from VPCUK to that pirate copy of a Haynes manual...

You've just done what you were critical of....:D:D:D

p fandango
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 03:43
LMAO..

Now thanks to your post there is also a linky from VPCUK to that pirate copy of a Haynes manual...
i'm sure with t5d5 being such an honest, genuine forum & with so many of its members/moderators being so concerned about Copyright that the thread won't be there for long

& if you believe that will happen theirs sometime for you to laugh at

You've just done what you were critical of....:D:D:D
i haven't been "critical" of anything, if actually read it (another skill to learn) you would see i never stated any personal opinions in my post. I was merely pointing out the double standards/other intentions shown by some who come over here crying "he can't do that, poor Volvo tuners blah blah"

perhaps you should try & get all the Volvo tuners together & have a fixed price policy if you worried one might be cheaper than the other, or that a competitor can't compete

hamish
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 10:03
My comment wasn't directed at you inparticular. If in fact your statement about knowing nothing about it is true then its obvious you were only doing what you thought was best for the members.
It was more aimed at the amount of people that have actually tried to defend the selling of these maps. Whether HLM claim to have bought the 'master' file or not, it doesn't change the fact that they are still being advertised as RICA maps when in fact RICA have nothing to do with them anymore.
Do you think they'd have sold half as many maps if people didn't know they were originally a RICA map?

Colin,

When you sell your Volvo how are you going to advertise it?? You are not a Volvo Franchised Dealer you are not authorized by Volvo to use their name or mark.....So how are you going to sell it?????? Perhaps: For Sale Swedish Made Car name begining with V..... No your advert will read: For Sale Volvo 850 Genuine UK Car blah blah blah. Will you be breaking the law? No. Will this make you a crook? No. Will Car Dealers all over the country get upset because you are selling an old car cheap? No.

Regards,
Hamish.

Jimmie
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 11:01
Colin,

When you sell your Volvo how are you going to advertise it?? You are not a Volvo Franchised Dealer you are not authorized by Volvo to use their name or mark.....So how are you going to sell it?????? Perhaps: For Sale Swedish Made Car name begining with V..... No your advert will read: For Sale Volvo 850 Genuine UK Car blah blah blah. Will you be breaking the law? No. Will this make you a crook? No. Will Car Dealers all over the country get upset because you are selling an old car cheap? No.

Regards,
Hamish.

Sorry but could you please explain the above as i find it no more than stupid comment and not helpfull.!!.

kyebosh
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 11:14
Colin,

Regards,
Hamish.

“What’s that got to do with the price of chips?" :confused:

Colin850
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 13:34
Colin,

Regards,
Hamish.

What a load of rubbish!
Thats just the sort of reply i'd expect from someone who's fallen down a rather large hole and his now trying everything he can to get back out of it!
It has no relevance to anything at all.
I didn't buy my car to make multiple copies of and then sell on for cheaper than the original.
By selling my car i will not be taking any trade away from other dealers!

S70T5Chris
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 18:05
Colin,

Regards,
Hamish.

LOL, now that is a poor effort at trying to justify selling copies of someone elses remaps! Good effort tho, try again. :B_thumb:

storming
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 21:08
£150 pounds FTW......

Loadsamiles
Thursday 19th November 2009, 01:18
i'm sure with t5d5 being such an honest, genuine forum & with so many of its members/moderators being so concerned about Copyright that the thread won't be there for long

& if you believe that will happen theirs sometime for you to laugh at

:worship::worship::worship:

p fandango
Thursday 19th November 2009, 01:34
:worship::worship::worship:
i did notice its been un-stickied, its getting there lol

JelT5
Thursday 19th November 2009, 08:12
Blimey! Only just read this thread and can't quite believe my eyes. It's really disappointing tbh.

Poor guy just asked for some advice regarding maps :eye-poppi

Intellectual rights to anything copyrighted is a very sticky issue and one very close to my heart- as a professional musician and song writer my music gets downloaded, nicked and copied all the time. £££££ happens. Get over it people. My album costs 5 quid on iTunes and it still gets stolen ffs lol.
My point is that people will not pay for something if they can get it for less or for sweet FA!

Pjay, just go get an MBC- far more fun than any remap and get the afr's set up on a good rolling road :D

edit: an afterthought- what sort of creative process goes into altering a software map on a car to make it the "intellectual property" of an individual/ company? This is a genuine question btw!

Loadsamiles
Friday 20th November 2009, 01:46
i did notice its been un-stickied, its getting there lol

Not looked too well then.

jt850turbo
Friday 20th November 2009, 19:51

i had hlm sort mine out over three months ago and i have had nothing but pure driving pleasure since, i could'nt recomended hamish and the team enough.. my 280 horses bring a smile to my face on every journey.....

T5ER
Friday 20th November 2009, 22:25
hmmmmmmmm i see some things dont change lol, do miss the good old banter :blahblah::smlove2::duck: