PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump removal?

volvoboyt5
Saturday 14th November 2009, 13:49
ive had a quick search but have come up with nothing ,,, am i correct in assuming i remove my fuel pump from under the rear seat ?.
cheers .

Tomcat
Saturday 14th November 2009, 14:01
On the estate it's under the boot floor, should be a round metal cover in the floor held down with ten mill bolts, remove these and the fuel pump housing is underneath.

volvoboyt5
Saturday 14th November 2009, 17:35
thanks ,, im assuming on either the saloon or estate you dont need to drop the tank ?
thanks again ..

Tomcat
Saturday 14th November 2009, 17:57
No, the fuel pump is under a large circular plastic cover, unscrew this (After you've disconnected the power and the two fuel pipes) and the fuel pump is underneath. It's fairly straight forward once you get the metal cover off.

volvoboyt5
Saturday 14th November 2009, 19:40
nice one , ive got a pump on order ,, i was just wondering what was involved in changing it . thanks again ,

Volvostorm
Saturday 14th November 2009, 20:45
Takes about 10minutes to change, I'm doing one on mine.

10mm spanner or ratchet to get the plate off
Screwdriver to help lever up the fuel pipes
A blunt punch to start turning the locking ring.

Thats it :D

Nico20V
Monday 16th November 2009, 12:41
'Screwdriver to help lever up the fuel pipes
A blunt punch to start turning the locking ring'I'

I've benn putting this off for weeks cos its so bloody tight! Getting any leverage is nigh on impossible (bent fork perhaps or engineered metal prong to get the hoses off - knowing how tough they can be after swopping the the fuel filter!

The there's the issue of how on earth you get any purchase on the black plastic collar to unscrew it and get the pump out! I figured I'd have to get four nails in a pice of wood or summit spaced perfectly to act as a big key to turn it.

Inidentally, anone know how cable rated at 8awg might relate to say 17 amp wiring?

Al115
Monday 16th November 2009, 13:00
If they are the same as the T4, which I suspect, the hoses have LOCKING FITTNGS so you can't just lever them off. They're dead easy to do once you know the technique though. Basically you have to push the collars towards the pump while you gently lever the other way with a screwdriver... gently does it.

Big plastic collar is a "belt it with a hammer + blunt chisel" job. Anti-clockwise :)

Nico20V
Monday 16th November 2009, 13:07
appreciate the added direction Al, but can you elaborate more at all onthe 'pushing collar' whilst levering in opposite direction? You mean baically just push before you pull?

Al115
Monday 16th November 2009, 13:58
If I remember correctly - the collars are made up of two pieces, an inner and an outer - I think you have to push the outer towards the pump whilst gently levering the inner off of the fitting with a thick screwdriver between the pump and the collar. It's a bit counter-intuitive and really hard to explain - wish your car was sitting outside and I'd show you what I mean!!!

Volvostorm
Monday 16th November 2009, 15:41
With my car, the pipes just levered off, I'll guess there's a correct to do it, which that isn't. Its worked though. The Haynes book of lies says to insert a forked tool under the connections and lever off without squeezing the collar, no reason why a wide-ish screwdriver shouldn't work.

Once the locking ring on the pump is loosen, it will unscrew like a bottle top, as said, a blunt punch and a few taps with your favourite hammer will see it off

Nico20V
Monday 16th November 2009, 17:31
Cheers guys. Incidentally (for those that have fitted a walbro and run a seperate feed to it|) do you reckon its easier to run the wire under the car if there is some point or seal through which I can feed it to reach the top of the pump, or is running it through the cabin from the engine bay best?

Al115
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 07:42
Why would you need a seperate feed? All the Walbro's I've ever fitted (4...) were exact replacements from a wiring PoV. If yours isn't, you need to get the right pump... I wouldn't be messing with running electrics into the fuel area!!!

daveforber
Tuesday 17th November 2009, 20:59
I disliked the hammer & screwdriver approach on remove the black hat on top of the filter. An oil filter wrench seemed more, er, civilised?

Also be careful tightening it back up. It cross threads easily, which is bad. At least for me it meant a nice puddle of petrol under the car at the petrol station when I filled up. Just make sure it's threaded properly and tight.