PDA

View Full Version : After filling with petrol, engine reluctant to start

TenaciousC
Wednesday 11th November 2009, 23:22
Hi All,

I've been meaning to ask about this for a while (years). I was sure there was an existing thread... but I can't find it.

After filling with petrol, the car does not start immediately. A full tank make it worse then half a tank... ie. you have to crank the engine for 10 secs before it takes (reluctantly) then all is normal again.

What causes that?

Cheers

C

C70 GTT5
Thursday 12th November 2009, 00:06
the fuel atomises better when theres more air in the tank, this is why when you get to the last 1/4 of a tank it seems to dissapear quicker than usual

TenaciousC
Thursday 12th November 2009, 07:23
the fuel atomises better when theres more air in the tank, this is why when you get to the last 1/4 of a tank it seems to dissapear quicker than usual

but surely the pressurized injection system would counter any of these effects? I haven't experienced this on any other car.

It seems to me that the filling of the tank causes the fuel system to empty, and it takes a few seconds to refill - hence the reluctant start.

It must be some Volvo "feature" ... but what?

woody
Thursday 12th November 2009, 16:01
Hi TenaciousC. New one to me. Having said that, I changed my fuel filter recently and I cut open the old one. I was just amazed how any fuel was ever able to get through it; the contamination was dreadful to say the least! It seemed to start better with the new filter fitted.

Fuel pump or regulator problem perhaps? I've never had an issue with either of these myself, so just a thought.