PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question coming up but ....

Mrsmastiffs
Wednesday 11th November 2009, 14:33
... when does the cooling fan cut in ? I tend to only do reasonably short journeys as a rule but today I have been out and about a fair bit for me. As I was sitting at a set of traffic lights I noticed me temperature gauge went up by one notch - something it never does. When I got home I checked my levels and they were ok and there is no apparent sign of any recent leaks but it occurred to me that I haven't heard my cooling fan in ages yet we hear it on the D5. Is it possible that maybe my fan is not working and because of the lack of miles I do have not noticed or could there be another reason for my temp gauge to rise ? Any advice gratefully appreciated :)

daveforber
Wednesday 11th November 2009, 15:02
It should cut in at 102C (certainly by 107C).

If it's not cutting in, first check is the fuse - they do go!

Happygilmore78
Wednesday 11th November 2009, 15:50
Mine cuts in at the halfway mark on the gauge (not sure exact temperature) which it does generally on all the cars i know of. If your guage isnt even meeting that halfway mark, and not warning up completely, then that could be a knackered thermostat - as that happened on mine recently, wasnt warming up, just sitting less than a quarter down - mines genrally up to temp in about 1 to 2 miles of driving

Replaced thermostat and bobs your fanny, your uncle is your aunt

Mrsmastiffs
Thursday 12th November 2009, 07:30
Thanks guys - the fuse is fine :( I can hear a slight noise which went away when I took the cooling fan fuse out but as far as I can tell the fans are not actually moving - need to check again this morning in better light. Just for info the car is warming up properly and then the needle sits in the middle of the gauge never moving - normally :(

Happygilmore78
Thursday 12th November 2009, 09:21
Someone will know on here, I can only say from what has happened to me - as im not that techy.

muscas
Thursday 12th November 2009, 10:15
Just leave your engine running in the drive way for 15 - 20 minutes, the fan is sure to come on after about 15 minutes, even in this damp weather.

Other thing is to check the inline fuses, follow the power cable from the fan and you will find two large fuses, easy to check.

Hope this helps.

Patrick

cookie
Thursday 12th November 2009, 12:20
leave engine running for 15/20 mins, listen to see if fan humms, give it a flick, if you lose your fingers you need a new fan

alternatively for the more safety concious - you can just probably put a feed straight to fan and see if it works, or put a voltmeter on the fan connector and see if it gets a feed when engine is hot.