PDA

View Full Version : P850 progress report

Niles
Wednesday 11th November 2009, 09:48
OK, I've had the beasty for 2 weeks now. All's behaving (got a bit of a weird noise from the transmission somewhere. I'll get it sorted 1 way or the other). Anyway, bits done so far (bearing in mind I've had to work solid for 12 days & only yesterday could make an effort to get on with it).
DONE.....
Poly top mount done.
Poly Bulkhead mount done.
Leather interior installed.
Boost gauge.
Radar detector.
White Injectors.
Suspension swapped for lowered stiffened bits.
New drop links
Turbo return oil line leak sorted.
New thermostat fitted.
Tethy's in place & looking good.
Under headlamp 'no holes' trim painted & fitted.
Engine & underneath thoroughly degreased & steam cleaned.
Mesh grille installed.
Roof rails removed.

Todays plan is to fit N/A inlet manifold with matched 960 throttle body & all the reverse intercooloer pipes etc.
And...if I get time & can be arsed...remove the tow bar.

leet5r
Wednesday 11th November 2009, 12:48
is there any dif between the 2 inlets like m8

p fandango
Wednesday 11th November 2009, 12:51
is there any dif between the 2 inlets like m8
i'm sure the only difference is the NA manifold already has the inlet port larger ready for the 960 throttle body, i used my original manifold & enlarged it using a flap sander

leet5r
Wednesday 11th November 2009, 12:54
i'm sure the only difference is the NA manifold already has the inlet port larger ready for the 960 throttle body, i used my original manifold & enlarged it using a flap sander

do you have to port it much to fit a bigger throttle bodie

p fandango
Wednesday 11th November 2009, 13:14
do you have to port it much to fit a bigger throttle bodie
as you can see there is quite a bit of difference, but didn't take long to bore the manifold out. You have to extend the wiring for the TPS as well as its turned 90degrees on the 960 one

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/cb4c81f1f8.jpg
960 on the left, 850 on the right

leet5r
Wednesday 11th November 2009, 13:29
as you can see there is quite a bit of difference, but didn't take long to bore the manifold out. You have to extend the wiring for the TPS as well as its turned 90degrees on the 960 one

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/cb4c81f1f8.jpg
960 on the left, 850 on the right

quite a bit by the looks af that lol , just av been told about using a 2.5na 1 , but a dont want to a crap lookin job lol , and it would mean gettin some pipes made up from some where like and a was wantin to reverse the inter cooler pipin aswell and was strugglin to find a way for the air control valve to get back into the throttle bodie pipe cheers

Niles
Wednesday 11th November 2009, 19:42
ok, after today (rain stopped play a few times and the sodding phone rang countless times!)
DONE.....
Poly top mount done.
Boost gauge.
Radar detector.
White Injectors.
New drop links
New thermostat fitted.
Mesh grille installed.
Roof rails removed.
N/A inlet manifold with matched 960 throttle body installed.
Reverse intercooler pipes all done.

Next to do...
Remove 16T from old car
Plumb in 'lecky seat wiring loom
Solder in boost gauge & radar detectors back lights.
Rest a bit. lol

Before
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/camelbeanie/2009_1111blueinlet0001.jpg
1/2 way
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/camelbeanie/2009_1111blueinlet0006.jpg
Job's a good'un
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/camelbeanie/2009_1111blueinlet0009.jpg

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 11th November 2009, 20:22
Upgraded Throttle body (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14029)

Here's my upgrade for you to consider.....The Aluminium cut really easily so you could have it fitted in an Hour or too...

AndysR
Wednesday 11th November 2009, 20:53
Wow hats off to you, that's many jobs well done and in a such a short space of time too :)

dooby
Wednesday 11th November 2009, 23:00
Hi Niles,

what did you do to make the black 'cage' between the polybushes fit OK over the yellow bush I did a trial fit of mine the other day, and either I'd have to cut some of the black metal (which I think would weaken it) or gouge out some of the yellow bush to make 2 channels the 'cage' could slot into...

Cheers, Pete

Niles
Thursday 12th November 2009, 09:31
Hi Niles,

what did you do to make the black 'cage' between the polybushes fit OK over the yellow bush I did a trial fit of mine the other day, and either I'd have to cut some of the black metal (which I think would weaken it) or gouge out some of the yellow bush to make 2 channels the 'cage' could slot into...

Cheers, Pete

You mean the 2 'lugs' that get in the way? Simple, took a grinder to the little 'lips'.

Niles
Thursday 12th November 2009, 15:58
More done today (see italic script).....
Done to date.......
Poly top mount done.
Boost gauge.
Radar detector.
White Injectors.
New drop links
New thermostat fitted.
Mesh grille installed.
Roof rails removed.

Removed 16T from old car
Removed ME7 manifold.
Replaced all 'iffy' jubilee clips on new car.
Removed tow bar.
Drained new car of water & replaced with Anti freeze Mix
Drank 4 cups of tea
Rested a bit. lol

Next plan =
Remove downpipe from old car (has higher flowing cat) (for sale)
Remove Exhaust pipe
Swap over brakes all round.

Might have Saturday off. lol

Tomcat
Thursday 12th November 2009, 18:47
What turbo did you replace the 16T with?.

Niles
Thursday 12th November 2009, 18:59
What turbo did you replace the 16T with?.

nothing mate. the car I took it from is my old (dead) 850. My new car is running a 15g til next week. I've got a 16T angled outlet as a spare & its being treated to a 3" downpipe when fitted as the 16T angled has a 3" outlet & the 15g is only 2.5"

woody
Thursday 12th November 2009, 19:28
Hi Niles. You mentioned your 'old Dead 850'! Was that your Silver 855 that I saw at Gatwick that time? If so, what killed it fella?

PS, Hat off to you for your grit and determination with your new toy. Like your RIP, looks good. I'm in the early stages of getting my RIP off Rufe.

Niles
Thursday 12th November 2009, 20:43
Hi woody, yep, the dead 850 IS the silver one you saw at Charlwood Volvo. Sad to see it in bits!! I had a mahoooosive missfire under 20psi boost, boost spike hit 25-26psi & bent a con rod on cylinder 3. Spotted a nice 850 T5 and bought it as its a manual not an auto.
Piccy was taken 2mins after i handed over the cash. (number plate came with the car. Jammy eh? lol)
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/camelbeanie/2009_0907p850tfu0003.jpg

woody
Thursday 12th November 2009, 21:11
Shame Niles. Mine is still going very strong and sometimes I wonder how! hehe. I've left her down south now as flying is quicker! I've promised her that if she puts a leg out of bed, she'll be trailered to RT's for the re-birth to commence! Love the colour of your new toy buddy. Good luck with it.

AndysR
Thursday 12th November 2009, 22:15
The downpipe with sports cat, is this a Ferrita part and if not what is the spec of the cat, ie how many cells?, and will it mate to a 15g with Ferrita cat back system as fitted to my 850R and how much are you looking for it as I might be interested, PM me if your not keen on advertising a price just yet :)

Niles
Thursday 12th November 2009, 23:06
The downpipe with sports cat, is this a Ferrita part and if not what is the spec of the cat, ie how many cells?, and will it mate to a 15g with Ferrita cat back system as fitted to my 850R and how much are you looking for it as I might be interested, PM me if your not keen on advertising a price just yet :)

standard downpipe with the old cat removed & with the sports cat replaced it. I dont know how many cells but is flows much better. It mite be a bugger to post but if you want it id be happy to take £45 posted.

Niles
Saturday 14th November 2009, 13:02
Done to date.......
Poly top mount done.
Boost gauge.
Radar detector.
White Injectors.
New drop links
New thermostat fitted.
Mesh grille installed.
Roof rails removed.
Removed 16T from old car
Removed ME7 manifold.
Replaced all 'iffy' jubilee clips on new car.
Removed tow bar.
Drained new car of water & replaced with Anti freeze Mix

Repainted & fitted headlamp eyebrows
Fitted clear indicators
Fitted HID headlight system
Got sick & tired of storm force winds

AndysR
Saturday 14th November 2009, 19:36
standard downpipe with the old cat removed & with the sports cat replaced it. I dont know how many cells but is flows much better. It mite be a bugger to post but if you want it id be happy to take £45 posted.

Thanks for the info, tbh I wanted the enlarged downpipe and didn't realise that yours was a standard one modified to take a sports cat so will pass. Thanks for getting back to me anyway.

More progress made today :) and fair play to you working in this horrific weather too :cuckoo:

Niles
Sunday 15th November 2009, 11:00
Its brakes day!!! Pretty sure the rear drivers side calliper is sticking & inefficient, all the brakes on dead car are 100% with pads that have only done 1000mls, I'm going to swap the lot, all callipers & matching pads etc. Good old fluid flush while I'm at it (dot 5.1). Front braided hoses are also on today's to-do list. Rears when I can be bothered. Too many other things need doing 1st.