PDA

View Full Version : Coolant in the Air Con??

matt_850
Sunday 8th November 2009, 10:00
Hey everyone, havent posted for a while, with exams and what not, but i have developed a pretty strange problem with my T5.

Its been pretty hot here recently, and ive been driving a fair bit, but basically i lost all my coolant yesterday through a hole under the can at about the middle of the rear door, there is a big tank looking thing there with hoses coming in and out of it, but there is a little hole, and my coolant runs out of it when the car is hot, or under any load. It is also coming out of my Air Con as steam and fogging up the window, leaving the whole car smelling like over heated coolant. Strange thing is the temp gage isnt changing to say its getting hot, and occasionally the low coolant light will go away and there will be water back in the expansion tank. I can only drive for about 15 mins before ive lost most of the coolant out of this whole, and the fact its coming out of my A/C has me a bit worried.

Any help would be great, cause i have a fair bit of driving i need to do during the coming weeks and have no other car!!

Thanks

orse
Sunday 8th November 2009, 17:50
Not to sure about the tank your speaking off but the steam,fogging up and smell of antifreeze would point towards your heater matrix leaking.Not a bad job just recently done mine.Be sure to replace the o rings on the coolant pipes going into the heater matrix

matt_850
Sunday 8th November 2009, 21:04
Yeah i was thinking it might be something like that. The tank looks like an overflow of some discription, the whole looks like a factory hole, about 2 or 3mm in diameter. I'll see it i can sort it today.