PDA

View Full Version : Radiator replacement Q's

cherry1809
Sunday 8th November 2009, 09:48
I've replaced the rad now, So it's just a case of seeing if that was the cause of my oily water.
Few questions though,

1. The clips that hold the oil hoses in place, two of them (bottonm 2) weren't brilliant. If they fail obviously this could cause major failure. They are holding the hoses in place okay and I've also cable tied them on tight. Would you still replace them?

2. Is there a certain way of refilling the rad with water, Or just fill the system through the header tank? I did this on a Citroen ZX and melted the head gasket. Apparently the rads too low to just fill and you have to make an extension funnel, To make sure the rear of the engine's filled...bloody french cars.

3. Why did Volvo make it like a Rubix cube getting the 3 rads and mounting plates lined up? LOL.

p fandango
Sunday 8th November 2009, 10:07
1. The clips that hold the oil hoses in place, two of them (bottonm 2) weren't brilliant. If they fail obviously this could cause major failure. They are holding the hoses in place okay and I've also cable tied them on tight. Would you still replace them?
replace them, i cable tied them when i did my rad & it did last quite a while. But they did come back off, luckily i'd just parked up & it emptied all its oil there instead of while i was driving which would of killed the engine

2. Is there a certain way of refilling the rad with water, Or just fill the system through the header tank? I did this on a Citroen ZX and melted the head gasket. Apparently the rads too low to just fill and you have to make an extension funnel, To make sure the rear of the engine's filled...bloody french cars.
please don't mention 5hitroen ZX's, i had one for 3 months & managed to blow it up twice lol. But no just top it up as normal thru the expansion bottle

3. Why did Volvo make it like a Rubix cube getting the 3 rads and mounting plates lined up? LOL.
well they can't make it too easy for us lol

iGGy
Monday 9th November 2009, 08:14

Replace and tie them for added security. You should replace the couple of oil seals per connection if you haven't already done so.

cherry1809
Monday 9th November 2009, 12:23
Didn't change them either. To be fair they're not leaking yet.
Will pop round Kastners one day this week and pick the bits up I think.