PDA

View Full Version : A couple of small problems

mikouk
Saturday 7th November 2009, 18:10
Hi Guys

The cars been running really well lately but a couple of small problems have cropped up.

The first one is that the Alarm keeps going off. It will be fine for a couple of days then suddenly start going off, then when I reset it, it immediately starts going off again! I am locking it with the key now so the alarm doesn't set but I need to get it fixed. Any ideas?

The second is that the front right wheel rubs on full lock. The left is fine. its happened since I got larger wheels and put 235 40 18 tyres on. Its not a huge problem as I'm going so slow when on full lock it doesn't do any damage but its annoying and makes a horrible noise.

The third is that the throttle response on hard throttle is lumpy again. I floor it and although it still flys off there are slight dips sometimes as the revs climb. It did this before but that was fixed with a new map. This doesn't quite feel the same. Also at red lights the revs sometimes drop and the car almost stalls although its done this ever since I've had it.

I think thats it for now. Any help is greatly appreciated as always!

Thanks
Mark

t5 stealth
Saturday 7th November 2009, 18:14
problem 1
alarm siren needs to be replaced.

problem 2
i think i read on here about some steering lock stops to stop the wheel turning so far.
but if you check the lock stops on ur lower suspension arms,they might be worn away,& need replacing.
someone else may know more about this problem.
problem 3
throttle body ?

mikouk
Saturday 7th November 2009, 19:05
problem 1

problem 2
i think i read on here about some steering lock stops to stop the wheel turning so far.
but if you check the lock stops on ur lower suspension arms,they might be worn away,& need replacing.
someone else may know more about this problem.
problem 3
throttle body ?

Thanks mate

A few ideas to get me started

thebadger
Sunday 8th November 2009, 16:08
Problem 3 may be a gearbox software issue (if it's an auto) or the MAF may be goosed.
If the ETM has been done, then I assume it had been cleaned & had it's SW updated too?

The alarm issue is a bugger tho, if you pull the fuse it will switch it off (but keeps the led on the dash flashing).

RobbieH
Sunday 8th November 2009, 19:53
problem 1

Don't buy a new alarm module alone but get the service kit from Rufe. Cheaper than just buying the module on it's own (go figure that one :confused: ).

Wombatbomb
Sunday 8th November 2009, 20:00
Problem 2: Fit the blue steering stops from a C70.

mikouk
Sunday 8th November 2009, 21:02
Thanks guys. I will look into all those tmrw.

Problem 3 may be a gearbox software issue (if it's an auto) or the MAF may be goosed.
If the ETM has been done, then I assume it had been cleaned & had it's SW updated too?

Sorry mate should have said, its a manual. I think it maybe the MAF on its way out. The ETM hasn't had anything done to it so that could also be the culprit.

At least now I have some places to start. I just need to find a good garage to sort some of them out. The last Independant I went to in southampton did a bit of a shoddy job so on the lookout again.

Thanks again.
Mark

RobbieH
Sunday 8th November 2009, 21:49
Thanks guys. I will look into all those tmrw.

Sorry mate should have said, its a manual. I think it maybe the MAF on its way out. The ETM hasn't had anything done to it so that could also be the culprit.

At least now I have some places to start. I just need to find a good garage to sort some of them out. The last Independant I went did a bit of a shoddy job so on the lookout again.

Thanks again.
Mark

Why not take it to MRG at Chppenham? Seem to have good reputation and don't look far away from you.

cornclose
Monday 9th November 2009, 09:03
Problem 3 may be a gearbox software issue (if it's an auto)

Any reason you say this ? Is there a potential issue with autos and rough idle ?

t5 stealth
Monday 9th November 2009, 18:55
problem 1

Don't buy a new alarm module alone but get the service kit from Rufe. Cheaper than just buying the module on it's own (go figure that one :confused: ).

dont trust the instruction tho....
i fitted one & the siren was behind the drivers side headlight,under the wheel arch,
the instructions said it was on the otherside,the pictures are wrong lol.
but its a quick easy job,as robbieh says,get the kit....comes with all the rivets & fixings etc....& you dont have to get it re-programmed etc...its just plug & play.

dave stew
Monday 9th November 2009, 19:04
Any reason you say this ? Is there a potential issue with autos and rough idle ?

:wavey:

Cubes
Monday 9th November 2009, 20:30
Problem 1: I had the a similar sort of problem. Solution: Remove the metal pen I had in the little centre cubby beneath the stereo! As daft as it sounds it solved the problem. I only moved it to the door pocket aswell! So before you splash out your pennies, have you got anything metaillic in the cockpit anywhere?

cornclose
Monday 9th November 2009, 20:46

dave stew
Monday 9th November 2009, 22:46
:shhh:

Going to bed now.

thebadger
Tuesday 10th November 2009, 01:27

Recently I have seen someone mention there's a SW update on the auto ECU to remove "rev spikes" between changes & to quicken the changes too.

Could be tosh tho, but I'd like to think that after 8 years they may be able to fix that little quibble.

cornclose
Tuesday 10th November 2009, 09:28
Hmm, don't get that problem, so praps already have the update.

ncarnall
Tuesday 10th November 2009, 10:18
Problem 1: I had the a similar sort of problem. Solution: Remove the metal pen I had in the little centre cubby beneath the stereo! As daft as it sounds it solved the problem. I only moved it to the door pocket aswell! So before you splash out your pennies, have you got anything metaillic in the cockpit anywhere?

Any idea why that would set the alarm off?

Cubes
Tuesday 10th November 2009, 11:14
I can only imagine it was something to do with the metallic surface of the pen in that particular location, messing about with the waves from the sensors. It puzzled me too, to be honest. Not had a problem since though

mikouk
Tuesday 10th November 2009, 11:33
Thanks guys for the help

I don't keep anything in the pen holder as it snapped off! But good thought. I have left it locked and alarmed all day yesterday and today and nothing so there is no pattern to it, which is annoying. The service kit sounds like the only way round it. How much are they by the way?

The idle problem over the past couple of days has got much worse. This morning when I started it up the revs sat at 3.5k revs which is a little high!

I think maybe a trip to MRG is the solution but I imagine they are very expensive? I know Kings in Southampton are.

Chippenham is a good hour and a hlf away too. I was impressed by their level of knowledge and skills at the T5D5 meet though.

Thanks again

Mark

cornclose
Tuesday 10th November 2009, 12:35
3.5k rpm ? That sounds baaaad.....

Has the ETM software update ever been done ? Or has it ever had a new ETM ?

mikouk
Tuesday 10th November 2009, 12:52
3.5k rpm ? That sounds baaaad.....

Has the ETM software update ever been done ? Or has it ever had a new ETM ?

Not that I know of! Is that the same update that Volvo should do for free? When I aske at Kings Volvo near me they said they knew nothing about it. I presume I would have to take the map off first?

Thanks mate

cornclose
Tuesday 10th November 2009, 14:11
Yes, map off first. Not even sure if Volvo do the free update anymore. Rufe may be able to confirm. I do know though that a new ETM is considerably less than what it was a year ago. ~£160 ish if I recall for the part, and another hour or so for labour and a couple of quid for some software.

All in I paid £285 for mine, including VAT, about 4 months ago.

It may just be a sticky throttle plate though. Might just need cleaning.

mikouk
Tuesday 10th November 2009, 20:29
All in I paid £285 for mine, including VAT, about 4 months ago.

It may just be a sticky throttle plate though. Might just need cleaning.

Blimey, I will have to save the pennies. Thanks though. I might try and save a load of jobs up and get them all sorted at once.

HammyUK
Monday 8th February 2010, 19:13
Funny that as Cambridge in Havant point blank refuse to admit that there are ANY issues to do with the ETM at all. No software update, no contamination issues, nothing.
Just had an argument with them tonight over it.

richiemat
Monday 8th February 2010, 19:59
Funny that as Cambridge in Havant point blank refuse to admit that there are ANY issues to do with the ETM at all. No software update, no contamination issues, nothing.

lol, ask them about mine the one where they didn't refit the radiator fan casing back together properly...

oops sore subject :)

princepugh
Monday 8th February 2010, 22:01

About 6 months into the ownership of my P2 V70 I ran into classic ETM issues, revs dipping to near stall etc. so I took it to a well known dealer in South Yorkshire only to be told that it would probably have to get worse before they could diagnose/ assist - no mention of suspect ETM. Unimpressed, I looked on this and other forums and sought the opinion of two indies - all roads lead to ETM.

A clean and software update sorted the idling although I had to replace the ETM a little later as it developed other symptoms.

I did try to pretent there wasn't a problem with the ETM but this didn't work as well for me as it did for the dealer.