PDA

View Full Version : Another puzzle for someone to solve for me

phil_woods
Friday 6th November 2009, 21:45
Some people on here are probably aware that I currently have 18" pegs in silver fitted to my 97 v70 t5. Some of you will be aware that I don't like them lol. They rub on the front which bugs me to death but my main concern is that the rear wheels appear to be pointing inwards. I think it is refered to as the toe/tow. I can really notice it now I have the pegs on but didn't notice it with my oe 16's fitted. I though that my car has a fixed rear axle (2wd only) and as such didn't think that there was anything to adjust. Nothing is bent and both wheels on the rear are the same.
Is this the same with other people who have fitted larger diameter wheels and if not what can I do?

Thanks in advance for the help as per usual!

PHIL V70R
Friday 6th November 2009, 22:19
if its any good mate i had the same thing with my cosworth the wheels ware in at the top, i went to the ford dealer and he told me that i had 2 fit new bushs or wheel spacers...not sure if that helps u..lol..

leet5r
Friday 6th November 2009, 22:22
if its any good mate i had the same thing with my cosworth the wheels ware in at the top, i went to the ford dealer and he told me that i had 2 fit new bushs or wheel spacers...not sure if that helps u..lol..

cosworths were a rite pig for it if the car was to low. that why the 2wd 1s have a bad name lol av had a few cosworths with shims in the rear hubs to corret it nothin to do with the bushes m8 , what do you mean about the volvo m8 that , that they point in towards the front of the car ?

phil_woods
Friday 6th November 2009, 22:29
Exactly that towards the front of the wheels they point inwards. If it's wheels beatings then that's not too bad!

leet5r
Friday 6th November 2009, 22:32
Exactly that towards the front of the wheels they point inwards. If it's wheels beatings then that's not too bad!

i have that problem with my t5r bud and its sound a think the wheel base is shorter than the front and gives it the illusion that its crabed m8

p fandango
Friday 6th November 2009, 22:34
the rear axle isn't solid, its a Delta axle (2 seperate axles that cross). The design of it gives a bit of active rear wheel steering

phil_woods
Saturday 7th November 2009, 21:32
Thanks for the comments chaps! Does this mean that my car is fine then?

leet5r
Saturday 7th November 2009, 21:40
Thanks for the comments chaps! Does this mean that my car is fine then?

if it drives stright and handles like its meant to then i would say yes . kwik fit do a 4 wheel laser trackin like so you could double check.

phil_woods
Sunday 8th November 2009, 12:28
Thanks for the above, it does drive fine but I drive like miss daisy in it due to fuel costs etc so I don't really know. The laser allignment sounds like a good idea but it shall have to wait until I have sorted some other issues out. As usual thanks everyone for the input

smithy
Sunday 8th November 2009, 18:58
Thanks for the above, it does drive fine but I drive like miss daisy in it due to fuel costs etc so I don't really know. The laser allignment sounds like a good idea but it shall have to wait until I have sorted some other issues out. As usual thanks everyone for the input

i always get the tracking checked when i put new tyres or rims on .i fitted 18s bbs to my v70 with 225,35,18s and they rubbed like crazy so i fitted 215,40,18s on the bbs and the car was perfict no probs at all.also my v70 was lowered by 40mm and i used to carry 6 kids and me in it

phil_woods
Sunday 8th November 2009, 19:01
Bloody hell mate mine has been lowered 40mm all round and sits on 215/40/18 rubber but rubs like mad on full lock! Wish mine didn't rub! Gonna get some 17's when I have the money

smithy
Sunday 8th November 2009, 19:07
Bloody hell mate mine has been lowered 40mm all round and sits on 215/40/18 rubber but rubs like mad on full lock! Wish mine didn't rub! Gonna get some 17's when I have the money

it is not the wheels you have to change the steering stops on the wishbones to the c70 ones for the 18s bbs that they used ,they are easy to fit just drill out the pot rivits and put the thicker ones on .volvo sureply them and they cost penies

phil_woods
Sunday 8th November 2009, 19:32
I thought thev70 and c70 had different hubs? That sounds nice and easy I shall do that and sacrifice my turning circle

smithy
Sunday 8th November 2009, 22:28
I thought thev70 and c70 had different hubs? That sounds nice and easy I shall do that and sacrifice my turning circle

the wishbones are the same you just need the nylon blocks with the pot rivits that you get in the kit from volvo

LeeT5
Thursday 12th November 2009, 00:25
if it drives stright and handles like its meant to then i would say yes . kwik fit do a 4 wheel laser trackin like so you could double check.

Kwik fit don't know their Ar se from their elbow and they would be the last place i would take my car for Wheel alignment. They may tell you it's 4 wheel laser alignment but i can assure you it's not else you'd be paying closer to £50 to have it done correctly. All they do is stick some crappy, uncalibrated laser pointer to your rear wheels and have it point roughly in the direction of your front wheels. Then some 'Geezer' gets on his hands and knees and pretends he knows what he's doing and in the meantime actually makes your cars alignment even worse!

Top tip!! Go to a proper tyre fit place like EliteDirect for example. Here your will have your wheel alignment checked accurately by computers and calibrated lasers on a Alignment machines ie Hunter, that cost thousands of pounds. The whole process takes approx 30 minutes and the result is your car is guaranteed to drive as straight as it did the day it rolled off the factory conveyor. Kwik fit do not have the equipment to check your castor angle or your camber angle, so how can they possibly guarantee your steering is straight? I know from first hand experience that they are useless and should stick to doing what they know best...Tyres and exhausts.

May i point out that i have nothing to do with Elite, only first hand experience of top notch service by people that actually know what their talking about.

leet5r
Thursday 12th November 2009, 22:49
Kwik fit don't know their Ar se from their elbow and they would be the last place i would take my car for Wheel alignment. They may tell you it's 4 wheel laser alignment but i can assure you it's not else you'd be paying closer to £50 to have it done correctly. All they do is stick some crappy, uncalibrated laser pointer to your rear wheels and have it point roughly in the direction of your front wheels. Then some 'Geezer' gets on his hands and knees and pretends he knows what he's doing and in the meantime actually makes your cars alignment even worse!

Top tip!! Go to a proper tyre fit place like EliteDirect for example. Here your will have your wheel alignment checked accurately by computers and calibrated lasers on a Alignment machines ie Hunter, that cost thousands of pounds. The whole process takes approx 30 minutes and the result is your car is guaranteed to drive as straight as it did the day it rolled off the factory conveyor. Kwik fit do not have the equipment to check your castor angle or your camber angle, so how can they possibly guarantee your steering is straight? I know from first hand experience that they are useless and should stick to doing what they know best...Tyres and exhausts.

May i point out that i have nothing to do with Elite, only first hand experience of top notch service by people that actually know what their talking about.

yes kwikfit is usless , its was just a suggestion lol

LeeT5
Thursday 12th November 2009, 22:51
Of course. :)

cameron
Thursday 12th November 2009, 23:00
Proper laser alignment around where i live is £40 + vat and they do a very thorough job :D

phil_woods
Friday 13th November 2009, 17:10
Thanks everyone for the posts very helpful, I remember having a puncture ages ago on my celica gt4 I had no spare due to the ice so I had to get a mate to take my wheel the nearest place which was quickfit. They charged me over a hundred quid for a Nike air wish they were tyre and to make it worse I had to go back to get the other wheel on the same axle done so I didn't have different treads. I wouldn't ever use them again. Have found ats very good by me but they have just gone bust lol

mike k
Wednesday 18th November 2009, 23:12
kwik fit, he he that would be full exhaust, four new tyres, pads and discs too sir.
________
Headshops (http://headshop.net/)