PDA

View Full Version : HLM remap and MIJ exhaust

matttelford
Wednesday 4th November 2009, 21:24
had my exhaust fitted today by MIJ performance (cat back) sounds nice not too loud not too quiet but when giving it some it comesinto its own! amazing sounds and on overrun is even better :D then took it to see hamish at HLM great guy got on really well and seem to know his ****! did a couple of power runs before and after the remap.

made 236.76hp with 313.38 torques before tune
and 249.5hp with 379.04 torques after

now surely the exhaust couldnt of made that much of a difference before the tune to give that power...... as i was sure mine is 225 standard and with 150k on the clock :s

the power delivery now is immense! i would reccommend a trip to hamish to anyone looking at a remap!

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs018.snc3/12532_328524330334_536710334_9680512_609648_n.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs018.snc3/12532_328524310334_536710334_9680510_589573_n.jpg

Nico20V
Thursday 5th November 2009, 08:29
Where are MIJ and what did the exhaust set you back?

p fandango
Thursday 5th November 2009, 08:57
hmm the before figure does seem rather high for what it should be. No an exhaust won't add 11bhp over the stock 225bhp especially as you've still got the original downpipe & cat & 150k miles on the engine. I'd of also expected the remap to add more than 13bhp. I would of said the car was modified before, but Hamish would of spotted/said about an MBC, & it had been remapped before it would of been higher than the 238bhp :crazy:

T4 Ben
Thursday 5th November 2009, 09:58
MIJ exhausts are **** hot.. A lot of Vectra owners had them do theirs and there were some decent performance gains to be had from them.. From experience they are far better than Powerflow.

MIJ are in the West Midlands, Walsall/Wolverhampton area..

http://www.mijperformance.com/

Wombatbomb
Thursday 5th November 2009, 10:10
MIJ exhausts are **** .

There, that's much better. Last person I know who took a Volvo there had to take it back twice (the second time they had the car a full week in order to do what they had originally promised to fit), owing to such small issues as

1. putting the post-CAT lambda in before the CAT
2. saying that you could only use 2.5" piping on the car because 3" wouldn't fit
3. only fitting a single silencer rather than the requested two
4. when the car went back for the additional silencer, they chopped the 2.5" pipe and then welded in a silencer with a 1.5" inlet, they put a 2.5" sleeve over this join to make it look right
4. chopping through the DP flexi and welding the new exhaust to that (which is what they referred to as a turbo back system)

cookie
Thursday 5th November 2009, 10:14
several people have been far less than satified with work from MIJ, unfortunatly most of it was lost in the big VPC crash, have you had a look at exhaust youself underneath?

and has car had stage 0 done?

T4 Ben
Thursday 5th November 2009, 10:36
There, that's much better. Last person I know who took a Volvo there had to take it back twice (the second time they had the car a full week in order to do what they had originally promised to fit), owing to such small issues as

1. putting the post-CAT lambda in before the CAT
2. saying that you could only use 2.5" piping on the car because 3" wouldn't fit
3. only fitting a single silencer rather than the requested two
4. when the car went back for the additional silencer, they chopped the 2.5" pipe and then welded in a silencer with a 1.5" inlet, they put a 2.5" sleeve over this join to make it look right
4. chopping through the DP flexi and welding the new exhaust to that (which is what they referred to as a turbo back system)

several people have been far less than satified with work from MIJ, unfortunatly most of it was lost in the big VPC crash, have you had a look at exhaust youself underneath?

and has car had stage 0 done?

Thats fair enough, everyone has differing experiences of companies, all i was saying is that on the Diesel Vectra's MIJ Exhausts worked very well. It could be a car thing though i suppose, what works well on a Vectra doesnt on a Volvo and so on..

matttelford
Thursday 5th November 2009, 11:00
i had a cat back system 2.5" pipework with 2 boxes and a (midsport) can the welding looks first rate and i was watching the whole thing and they seemed to know what they were doing.......

the car its self as far as i know is standard all it had done was literally oil, filter, and air filter change done a couple of days prior to going up there for the work the car still has original down pipe and cat so i dont know im bemused at the before figure

Rnash2002
Thursday 5th November 2009, 13:53
379.04 torques that does seem alot,there like a diesel cars results on a dyno lol

Alan M
Thursday 5th November 2009, 14:02
The results are probably NM values.

matttelford
Thursday 5th November 2009, 14:13
i could be reading the graph wrong but im sure i was told that the figures were max torque and max hp at the clutch

BigV
Friday 6th November 2009, 06:25
The 'after' power figure seems a bit disappointing, and the 'before' is higher than one would expect.....

Isn't 270 - 280bhp the target area with a decent remap, exhaust and stage 0?

I would be surprised if you can actually feel a 13bhp gain, which is about 6%, although there is a large gain in torque.

p fandango
Friday 6th November 2009, 07:19
I would be surprised if you can actually feel a 13bhp gain, which is about 6%, although there is a large gain in torque.
on average you using the backside dyno you can notice a 3bhp difference, this obviously is getting get less effective the higher the bhp the car is (you'll notice 3bhp on ours, but you try noticing a 3bhp on a 1000bhp Skyline lol)

altho there isn't much bhp difference from the dynoplot you can see the power delivery is totally different, after the remap the curve is alot more aggressive & get your power all in 1 go. Just how i like it to be lol

matttelford
Friday 6th November 2009, 10:59
yer i must say i was hoping for around 265-270 but as the graph shows the power delivery is so much better no power spikes just raw power all the way to 5700-6000rpm it feels like a completely different car all together

cameron
Friday 6th November 2009, 13:33
As long as your happy with it mate thats all that counts :D

I had my remap done by Hamish and it went from 222bhp up to 257bhp so a decent rise ;)

I still need to get a decent exhaust though :grumpy:

matttelford
Friday 6th November 2009, 13:53
thats what leads me to think that the exhaust gave it a bit of a boost on the standard run

if youve been all the way to hamish then go to MIJ for the exhaust ..... there closer by about 35-40 mins

i notice in your sig you have the 304 map i only had the 280 as this was the one he said he recommended for my car could this be why the power figures are slightly less than others?

cameron
Friday 6th November 2009, 14:03
Not sure what the 280 figures are tbh mate.

I think the 304 is meant to be about 260 - 270 and the 280 is meant to be about 240 - 250.

Is your car an Auto, i asked Hamish about the differences and he said there wasnt a lot, a few people tried to push me towards the 280 as they thought the 304 would be too much for the auto box.

I got to Hamish's and just said i'll have the 304 that way i wouldnt have to live with the " What if i had the 304 " saga going through my head.

Im glad i went for the 304, its awesome, pulls like a train, ive had no gearbox worries and ive had it for over 1 year now.

matttelford
Friday 6th November 2009, 14:06
no mines a manual so i dunno but im happy with what i got pulls like a train just a pain when it spins at the top end of 3rd on the motorway lol

Big Pete
Friday 6th November 2009, 15:22
I think the 304 you HAVE to run 98octain or above, the 280 you can run on 95 if I remember from ages ago when he did mine.

cameron
Friday 6th November 2009, 15:30
Spot on, you can run the 304 on normal unleaded but you wont get the best from it, you really need to use 97 + to get the full benefits.

I run mine on V-Power normally but have also used Tesco 99, Sainsburys 99, and Texaco Super ( not sure what " Ron " it is. )

Volvostorm
Friday 6th November 2009, 16:17
Which is why I'm thinking about a 304 to go with my lpg's 110 octane, should work well together

cameron
Friday 6th November 2009, 16:25
Yeah should be " Interesting " Paul :D

RobbieH
Friday 6th November 2009, 17:36
Spot on, you can run the 304 on normal unleaded but you wont get the best from it, you really need to use 97 + to get the full benefits.

I run mine on V-Power normally but have also used Tesco 99, Sainsburys 99, and Texaco Super ( not sure what " Ron " it is. )

Google is your friend

http://www.petrolprices.com/about-fuel.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Just being helpful.

cameron
Friday 6th November 2009, 21:52
Wheres my nearest BP :confused:

BP Ultimate is 102 ron according to that Wikipedia thing :yikes:

Wombatbomb
Friday 6th November 2009, 21:56
Wheres my nearest BP :confused:

BP Ultimate is 102 ron according to that Wikipedia thing :yikes:

As I said in the thread the other day, last time I looked it was £2.42 per litre, so around £11 a gallon.

cameron
Friday 6th November 2009, 23:58
Holeeeeeee sheeeiiiitttt :jaw: