PDA

View Full Version : Wheels and 302mm discs

NugentS
Thursday 9th June 2005, 17:39
Can anyone confirm wether the following is correct.

In order to use the 302mm discs I need a minimum of 16" wheels. However of all the various Volvo 16" wheels - the only ones I cannot use are the Columbas which will not fit the 302mm discs.

The wheels that I have available to me are these...... Can anyone tell me if these will do me and will fit around the 302mm discs???

Thanks

Sean

grumpybob
Thursday 9th June 2005, 19:26
HI

Correct me if I'm wrong but the columbas wheels comes as standard with most T5s and if you go for a set from a S70 and not an 850 then they will be ok with the 302mm discs.

I have a 97 S70 t5 and upgraded to the 302mm discs and they were ok with 16" standard T5 alloys.

HTH

Bob

p fandango
Thursday 9th June 2005, 21:32
yeh, S70 16's will fit 302's but 850 16's won't

NugentS
Thursday 9th June 2005, 22:56
These should be 70 wheels (or so I am told)

And I discovered about the Columbas - just after buying a set (Ok at a very good price) AND then getting them refurbed

:-(

Sean

rs_andy
Thursday 9th June 2005, 23:28
tell me about it, I bought some cossie wheels for my orion 'at a very good price' and it was only after I had them refurbed I found out they were like 50 pence pieces :slap:

siamblue
Friday 10th June 2005, 09:20
You need the Perfo's which are the S/V70 wheels or the C70 wheels as these came standard with the 302s.

NugentS
Friday 10th June 2005, 09:21
Are you telling me that the Heliums won't do?

Sean

siamblue
Friday 10th June 2005, 09:36
I don't know about the Heliums only know that the 16" 850 wheels won't work,
The S/V 16s will.
Any Volvo 17s will work also.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 10th June 2005, 10:11
IMHO I would just stick Ferodo DS 2500 pads on and not bother with the 302s. Anyone who has ridden with me will know how well my car stops

vt5
Friday 10th June 2005, 10:13
Nugent the best way to tell at a glance is to look at the insdie face of the alloy rim, the bit that sits on the road.

On the standard smooth style T5 alloys the alloy rim (picture a cross section of an alloy) is thicker towards the front then about half way towards the inner side of the wheel it gets thinner.

On the V70 alloys etc the rim is thicker at the front but thtne thins out about an inch or 2 across.

Problem with standard smooth style T5 wheels is that lip fouls the caliper when you bolt the wheel on. With the smaller lip it misses it.

Esiest way to tell is try it if you can if you know someone who has the 302mm brakes....like me

vt5
Friday 10th June 2005, 10:16
or post a picture of the inside rim of the wheel and one of the columbus wheel and we shoudl be able to tell by looking at it.

I used the 16" V70 T5 alloys and they were fine.

Now moved to 17" Thetys which clear easily.

NugentS
Friday 10th June 2005, 10:24
Nugent the best way to tell at a glance is to look at the insdie face of the alloy rim, the bit that sits on the road.

On the standard smooth style T5 alloys the alloy rim (picture a cross section of an alloy) is thicker towards the front then about half way towards the inner side of the wheel it gets thinner.

On the V70 alloys etc the rim is thicker at the front but thtne thins out about an inch or 2 across.

Problem with standard smooth style T5 wheels is that lip fouls the caliper when you bolt the wheel on. With the smaller lip it misses it.

Esiest way to tell is try it if you can if you know someone who has the 302mm brakes....like me

Unfortnately the wheels are currently in Scotland on someone else's car... I can hope (but doubt) that he has 302mm anyhow.

However a quote from the seller
"My car was registered in September 1999 and is a V70 AWD; the wheels were standard fit on some AWDs, including mine."

Any ideas anyone?

Sean