PDA

View Full Version : Boost pressure on t5 and oil seal part no,s

ddmgti
Tuesday 3rd November 2009, 12:40
What is the Standard Boost pressure on an unmodified 1995 T5, My car hits 6 psi on aftermarket Boost gauge, and stays there, is that about right? also anyone have a Diagram/Part no,s of Turbo Oil Pipe Seals as i have a leak there, Thanks.

cameron
Tuesday 3rd November 2009, 12:49
RUFE for parts mate :D

9.6psi standard boost about 3/4 into the white section :D

ddmgti
Tuesday 3rd November 2009, 14:08
Hmm, something not quite right then, wont go any further than 6 psi ?, Boost leak maybe, cant hear anything escaping ,Hoses all look OK,

Rnash2002
Tuesday 3rd November 2009, 15:09
Hmm, something not quite right then, wont go any further than 6 psi ?, Boost leak maybe, cant hear anything escaping ,Hoses all look OK,

Could just be a bcs on all 3 of my volvos i have it never boosted past 6psi standard,was ok once mbc on and turned up.

ddmgti
Tuesday 3rd November 2009, 16:37
Funnily enough have been doing some research and BCS seems to keep cropping up. how does this thing work then? i know its electrically operated,where does the ECU get the signal to open or close it from? how does it work Vacum? can you clean it up with electrical cleaner, just remove 3 pipes and spray inside? someones been at this before as 3 pipes have been replaced with Clear Silicon hoses, so looking again, max boost is .6psi no more no less, could this be the Wastegate opening too soon? bear with me i,m not up on Turbos, 2nd turbo car in 25 years of driving, any help appreciated,Ta, PS First was a Rover 820 Vitesse:)

p fandango
Tuesday 3rd November 2009, 16:49
BCS (boost control solenoid) is the factory solenoid bolted to the airbox, the ECU drains air from the actuator air line to raise the pressure higher

a MBC (manual boost controller) is a pressure release valve, you plumb it in between the pressure side of the turbo & the actuator so you have control over the boost not the ECU.

An MBC consists of a ball bearing & a spring, by adjusting the tension on the spring you control how much boost pressure it takes for the turbo to move the ball bearing & let the air pass & open the actuator

as the boost pressure is blocked from the actuator till the set limit the turbo will spool up as much as possible making the car drive alot more aggressively. this is why i prefer them over remaps

aslong as you keep to a sensable limit (about 13psi on a stock map) the ECU will compensate for the extra air coming in & increase the fuel to match

no offence but from previous pictures of under your bonnet the previous owner really messed things up & didn't know much on what he was doing, i would get someone with some knowledge to check everything out first

p fandango
Tuesday 3rd November 2009, 16:54
sorry for posting again, but just noticed you were talking about EBC (electric boost controllers). They are a standalone system which controls the boost & not linked to the ECU or anything else. They use a microcomputer to control a solenoid doing the same job as a MBC & blocking the air going to the actuator

I'm running an Apexi AVC-R which is an amazing piece of kit & gives alot more userbility of the boost & how the turbo kicks in

ddmgti
Tuesday 3rd November 2009, 17:37
Think were getting mixed up here,was on about BCS and if you can clean it up etc and would faulty one give same symptoms ie Low Boost

p fandango
Tuesday 3rd November 2009, 17:40
Think were getting mixed up here,was on about BCS and if you can clean it up etc and would faulty one give same symptoms ie Low Boost
yep sorry mate, i thought you were trying to raise the boost up as a performance gain

sorry

ddmgti
Tuesday 3rd November 2009, 19:23
No Probs mate that could be on the cards as well, ,got a good stretch of clear road tonight and she boosted over .8 Psi,still short of standard though, a weekend under the bonnet ahead methinks