PDA

View Full Version : One-touch window switching

Flatout Phil
Sunday 1st November 2009, 18:19
Call me lazy, but I HATE the set-up of electric windows in 850 cars. Has anyone added additional one-touch switches to the passenger/rear passenger windows? My wife has a Golf wherein all the windows have one touch, up as well as down - and all self-shut when the car locks: I like that feature.
All thoughts welcomed.
Phil.

Wombatbomb
Sunday 1st November 2009, 18:21
It's a lot more complicated than just adding the switches. All one-touch closing windows have a sensor attached to the motor so that if they encounter any resistance they go back down, following some instances of people (usually kids) getting trapped in them.

From memory all the VAG cars have the total closure/total open fitting, also some Fords (Scorpio Ultima for example) had it.

Flatout Phil
Sunday 1st November 2009, 18:38
It's a lot more complicated than just adding the switches. All one-touch closing windows have a sensor attached to the motor so that if they encounter any resistance they go back down, following some instances of people (usually kids) getting trapped in them.

From memory all the VAG cars have the total closure/total open fitting, also some Fords (Scorpio Ultima for example) had it.

I wonder if a LHD driver side motor might have the relevant gear to enable it to be a one touch wind-down?

p fandango
Sunday 1st November 2009, 19:00
I wonder if a LHD driver side motor might have the relevant gear to enable it to be a one touch wind-down?
the one touch of the drivers window is done by extra wiring in the loom by the switch panel, when i took them out there was a relay wired into the loom for it

Torch S70R
Sunday 1st November 2009, 22:05
yeah, they are done by relays. only the newer phase 2s will have the ultra high sense function built in. i believe that the relays have a primitive sense circuit but would still do some damage if you left your hand in there :(

on my old mondeo i raided the one touch relays from a scrappy and wired up the passenger side and also did the sunroof (2 required)
in fact you should be able to use the same relays as found in the mondeo :)

p fandango
Sunday 1st November 2009, 22:12
i thought electric windows had pressure sensing to stop them going up even without the one-touch

Torch S70R
Sunday 1st November 2009, 22:43
im pretty sure its based on current measurements taken from the motor but im not 100% sure on that, the auto return windows would read a high current demand and reverse the motor to fully open in the event of something getting trapped ?
as for the older windows phase 1 70x and 850s i dont think they have any sensing on them at all ?

Flatout Phil
Sunday 1st November 2009, 23:10
The Golf flips out at times with the rising window dropping down for no reason - presumably sensing a small resistance. Assume the safety factor is reason the Vol does not have a one-touch rise (either that or it follows through the old-man concept of Volvo design ie things that no longer rise to a single touch???).

volvoturboman
Sunday 1st November 2009, 23:51
I know what you mean mate, I also miss the one touch windows. I had a 94 Cavalier which also had one touch on all 4 windows upand down, it also had the total closure and opener. You could see about getting a fancy alarm system fitted, I had a Clifford G4 fitted to my old 89 Granada Scorpio which came automatically with total closure. If a dealer fitted this the could also wire up the switches for auto all round.

Dangerous Dave
Monday 2nd November 2009, 08:34
You lazy gits......just hold the damn button down! LOL

Tomcat
Monday 2nd November 2009, 08:39

lol.

p fandango
Monday 2nd November 2009, 08:40
i'm sure my S60 has got one-touch atleast on both front windows, & BT's windows don't go down anyway lol

850 2.5 10v
Monday 2nd November 2009, 14:04
My sunroof and I'm sure my drivers window is one touch open...

Dangerous Dave
Monday 2nd November 2009, 16:02
The auto open sunroof actually has a story behind it.

Originally when the sunroof was fully open the turbulence (or whatever) off the air rushing over the car would cause a reverberation/buffeting noise inside the car. So Volvo added the auto open function which opens the sunroof to just a few inches before the 'fully open' position which stops the turbulence/buffeting effect thing.

p fandango
Monday 2nd November 2009, 16:20
i was actually going to question whether he was right about having one-touch on the sunroof because i know BT's wasn't, but being an early car i guess they could of added perhaps when they fitted the updated S/v70 switches into the 850's

Dangerous Dave
Monday 2nd November 2009, 16:43
Says prodution week 21, but I haven't a clue when that was
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/sunroof.jpg

You can just imagine the conversation with the customer.....

Customer - "Hello Volvo, when my sunroof is open there is a booming noise in my ears"
Volvo - "I'm very sorry sir/madam there's nothing we can do"
Customer - "Well, I'm dissatisfied, its not right and I want it sorting."
Volvo - "are you just dissatisfied?"
Customer - "no I'm VERY dissatisfied"
Volvo - "Oh well in that case bring it in and we'll fix it"

p fandango
Monday 2nd November 2009, 17:14
ah thats some intersting info. I did used to get the booming in BT with the roof open actually, was like a pulsating sonic boom & just used to turn the radio up a bit more lol

i wonder if they tell the "unhappy" customers to use the aircon lol

volvoturboman
Tuesday 3rd November 2009, 01:00
Well my V70 don't have a sunroof lol. My T5 did though and it had the auto open and it was 93 so either it was fitted or one of he previous owners was VERY dissatisfied lol.

martybelfastt5
Wednesday 4th November 2009, 20:24
phil on the golf try some silicone lubricant spray on th seals which hold the window all round,,worked for me,can be bought at halfords around 5 quid a tin,,