PDA

View Full Version : C70 Coupe Oil Change

asbo1980
Sunday 1st November 2009, 13:56
I'll be doing an oil change on my 2000 Reg C70 tomorrow and just wondered what the procedue is to doing an oil change and also which Velosity and kind of oil would people recommend me to use.

Wombatbomb
Sunday 1st November 2009, 15:26
Whatever you do, DON'T use the "stick a screwdriver through it" technique to remove the old one, you must get the correct removal tool. The oil filters on these cars look like small round air filters, you re-use the black plastic casing that's on the car and insert the new cartridge in it. The new filter should come with a new o-ring to seal the holder to the block. Also, make sure you've got a replacement crush washer for the sump plug.

t5d5 dan
Monday 23rd November 2009, 23:21
Viscocity not velocity pal....he he, just so you dont look silly when you go to order your oil

cameron
Monday 23rd November 2009, 23:29
Any good 10w 40 fully or semi synthetic will do ;)

st1t5
Monday 23rd November 2009, 23:50
Any good 10w 40 fully or semi synthetic will do ;)

2nd that ..

Becarefull on taking the black cartridge off, they can be a real pain to loosen, if you have to use a tool remover then use a strap type but go firmly but easy as you dont want to crack the cartridge by putting too much pressure on it, dont worry, it will take a fair bit but dont go over the top, also smear some new oil on the rubber band at the threads on the cartridge, and you only need to tighten it just more then hand tight, but ofcourse checks for leaks once you have finished and the car is running.

Also, a wee tip ..... when you place the new paper filter in the cartridge, top it up with your new oil, this cuts down the time the engine has oil starvation as it wont have any oil in the system for a few seconds on start up, and turbo's hate not having oil ... top it up slowly as its amazing how much oil the paper filter absorbs, i think it takes nearly 1 litre of oil just for that alone ..
When the filter is on just top the engine up a bit at a time, you dont want to over fill it as its a pain having to drain it back out again
On completion of the oil change and your ready to start the car, you can also disconnet the distributor or coil pack and turn the car over for a few seconds, this allows the new oil to be pumped around the engine without the engine starting, again to reduce the oil starvation on start up ..

Depending on who you speak to, some people will use an engine flush, and some are dead against it. The doubters say it can dislodge stuff and swirl it through your turbo which aint good ... the decision is yours, but i beleive if you change your oil every 3k then you should'nt really need an engine flush.