PDA

View Full Version : Humiliated!!

Knight Rider
Thursday 29th October 2009, 23:21
As post states, on the drive home tonight was completely humiliated by a 20year old red saab turbo :(

So methinks time has come to give the Golden Barge a bit more oomph!
Im not looking for stoopid figures or spending thousands on her, but i little push in the right direction would be good.

So................................

where shall i start????

Dangerous Dave
Friday 30th October 2009, 07:55
Some ya win, some ya lose.

Flatout Phil
Friday 30th October 2009, 10:31
Watch that racing talk! Will get you banned :)

Knight Rider
Friday 30th October 2009, 10:43
Lol. I wasn't giving it the beans by any stretch, just wasn't expecting it, was taken a back a saw it, watched it shoot past, and disappear into the distance.

cameron
Friday 30th October 2009, 16:18
Them old saab turbo's are quick cars as standard ;)

I had one years ago as a company car, a white convertible with a black top like this one .................

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/saabturbo.jpg

It was good fun indeed :D

Murphy
Friday 30th October 2009, 16:29
What car do you drive?

nobananas
Friday 30th October 2009, 21:00
The old 2.3t Saab 9000's will take up to 500 bhp on standard internals apparently so a tweaked 9000 would probably be an easy match for a T5.

C70 GTT5
Friday 30th October 2009, 21:13
The old 2.3t Saab 9000's will take up to 500 bhp on standard internals apparently so a tweaked 9000 would probably be an easy match for a T5.
The saab 9000 aero has 225bhp 0-60 6.9secs 150mph, very similar specs to the t5, i use to be a saab mechanic an a mate had a red manual 9000 aero, so i can verify this, prefer volvo's though

nobananas
Friday 30th October 2009, 21:18
The saab 9000 aero has 225bhp 0-60 6.9secs 150mph, very similar specs to the t5, i use to be a saab mechanic an a mate had a red manual 9000 aero, so i can verify this, prefer volvo's though

You couldn't suggest a suitable gearbox/transaxle that would allow me to fit the 9000 engine in my Renault 4 ? (struggling to find one this side of a Porsche 911 box and they're big bucks !)

C70 GTT5
Friday 30th October 2009, 22:30
You couldn't suggest a suitable gearbox/transaxle that would allow me to fit the 9000 engine in my Renault 4 ? (struggling to find one this side of a Porsche 911 box and they're big bucks !)
renault 4? dont even think i have ever seen one of them before, sorry cant help :wallbash:
my god your mad i just looked on google, one of them with a 9000 engine would be the same as putting a t5 engine in a renault 5, if your going to pull it off you'll need some strong parts mate, best of look to you :)

Knight Rider
Friday 30th October 2009, 23:11
What car do you drive?

C70 2.3 T5

Yeah, after discussions with a friend at work (of whom is very tech savvy) these ol' Saab's are stupidly quick. so not feeling too bad now, but stilll..........

I thought mine was a wolf in sheep's clothing !!

C70 GTT5
Friday 30th October 2009, 23:27
C70 2.3 T5

Yeah, after discussions with a friend at work (of whom is very tech savvy) these ol' Saab's are stupidly quick. so not feeling too bad now, but stilll..........

I thought mine was a wolf in sheep's clothing !!must have been a modded 900 turbo classic or a saab 9000 aero, would have had to be modded though to leave you standing, the newer saabs 98 onwards the 9-3 aero's do 60 in bout 6 an a half an if it was a viggen then your talking 5.9 but there very rare

PaulZX
Friday 30th October 2009, 23:29
that's Swedish power for ya son... ;)

Knight Rider
Friday 30th October 2009, 23:36
All i know was it was an F plated, red, Saab 900 with old skool 80's bodykit, that shot past me. Yeah he could drive quick, but watched over take everything slam the anchors on, overtake, anchors on again etc.......... An all i could think a) bloody hell thats rapid & b) that'll be a write off soon.

Had to laugh cos the car is only a few years younger than i am!!!!!

C70 GTT5
Friday 30th October 2009, 23:58
All i know was it was an F plated, red, Saab 900 with old skool 80's bodykit, that shot past me. Yeah he could drive quick, but watched over take everything slam the anchors on, overtake, anchors on again etc.......... An all i could think a) bloody hell thats rapid & b) that'll be a write off soon.

Had to laugh cos the car is only a few years younger than i am!!!!!put money on it being the rare fully blown turbo 900, an probably abbot racing tuned,wouldnt wurry mate you can tune any car up to be quick but the t5 is quick standard

leet5r
Saturday 31st October 2009, 00:55
ram the **** lol

p fandango
Saturday 31st October 2009, 03:52
i bet it was a 900 Carlsson, Saab's equivilent of the T-5R. Named after Saab's rally hero Erik Carlsson

http://www.saabsunited.com/upload/images2009/05/sunday_night_saab_flickr_dump/RedSaab900Carlsson.jpg

Knight Rider
Saturday 31st October 2009, 10:31
Thats it exactly!!!!!

nobananas
Saturday 31st October 2009, 10:46
Here's a sad anoraky fact for you. The engine used in the Saab 900's was a reworking of the engine used in the Triumph Dolomite 1850's and Sprints..............only Saab made it work properly !

BigV
Saturday 31st October 2009, 11:05
As post states, on the drive home tonight was completely humiliated by a 20year old red saab turbo :(

Im not looking for stoopid figures or spending thousands on her, but i little push in the right direction would be good.

where shall i start????

What car have you got? c70 t5? Auto/manual?

I would start with a remap if you don't already have one. £350 area, after that it gets a bit expensive tbh. Bigger 3'' downpipe with free flowing cat and back pipe.... bigger turbos, injectors, custom maps.

I mean how far do you want to go? I standard T5 with a good remap will see off almost everything apart from 'proper' sports cars.... even then with a rolling start you shouldn't get humiliated

Knight Rider
Saturday 31st October 2009, 11:09
What car have you got? c70 t5? Auto/manual?

I would start with a remap if you don't already have one. £350 area, after that it gets a bit expensive tbh. Bigger 3'' downpipe with free flowing cat and back pipe.... bigger turbos, injectors, custom maps.

I mean how far do you want to go? I standard T5 with a good remap will see off almost everything apart from 'proper' sports cars.... even then with a rolling start you shouldn't get humiliated

yes its a C70 t5 ( GT ) completely standard, nothing's been done to it in my 2years of ownership except good, regulary servicing.
Im not looking to go nuts and throw huge wods of cash at it, but little bits here and there im thinking more hundreds rather than thousands.

BigV
Saturday 31st October 2009, 12:00
A remap is the best way to go then IMO. Standard figures are something like 240bhp/300Nm ..... a RICA/MTE/BSR/SUPERCHIPS should see you at about 280bhp/400Nm for around £350. Maybe budget another £150 incase you need new ignition components.

I just had a MTE remap done on my T5 and the difference is amazing. So much more power, it really shifts now.

ANDYRACER
Saturday 31st October 2009, 12:47
Everyone should remap there T5/R volvos, makes such a massive difference!

p fandango
Saturday 31st October 2009, 12:48
Everyone should remap there T5/R volvos
NEVER :firedevil (altho might get the D5 done once i get some pennies lol)

Knight Rider
Saturday 31st October 2009, 17:54
ignition componets??? Like what exactly??

Flatout Phil
Saturday 31st October 2009, 18:09
Here's a sad anoraky fact for you. The engine used in the Saab 900's was a reworking of the engine used in the Triumph Dolomite 1850's and Sprints..............only Saab made it work properly !

Ah, yes. The Triumph Sodomite...
:sheep::sheep:

j@mie
Sunday 1st November 2009, 09:04
get it mapped... and run V-Power.

on my v50 it makes a massive difference! The torque is metal!

i pass Type-R's, Clio Sports, and recently a Astra Turbo GSI...

Only problem, is mines front wheel drive, and in this weather... i.e. rain and leafs on the ground... it just spins all over the place.

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 1st November 2009, 09:15
only problem, is mines front wheel drive, and in this weather... I.e. Rain and leafs on the ground... It just spins all over the place.

hahahah AWD FTW!!!!!

p fandango
Sunday 1st November 2009, 09:40
wheelspinning all over the place is part of the fun of it lol

Knight Rider
Sunday 1st November 2009, 12:01
Im always running on high octane petrol, seems to improve the power delivery, and up the drivability of the car, if use regular unleaded it feels 'lumpy' in lower gears and lower speeds.

BigV
Sunday 1st November 2009, 12:15
ignition componets??? Like what exactly??

Dunno why I said that really....... what I meant is spark plugs / leads / dizzy cap / rotor arm / coil..... if needed.... basically make sure the car is 100% before getting it remapped, because the extra demands on the engine will highlight any old or failing parts, and those items just listed aren't usually standard 'service' parts.

armchair racer
Sunday 1st November 2009, 18:44
How much does the remap affect the fuel consumption ( under normal driving conditions ??) ...

j@mie
Sunday 1st November 2009, 22:11
improves it by 2mpg maybe 3mpg... thats about it.

but the way it drives it completely different... turbo etc.

LeeT5
Wednesday 4th November 2009, 02:34
hahahah AWD FTW!!!!!

LOL. I believe we've argued our case on this one before.....FWD versus AWD. Verdict...No competition:D. Anyway, that's another story.

Knightrider...you need to start with a basic tune or a 'Stage 0',before you spend big bucks. This will ensure your car is ready for the extra horses and that there are no underlying problems before you tune.

Look for 'stage 0' in search for info - this will cover the coil question you asked earlier.

Assuming your car is a pre 99 model then your looking at 294bhp/430Nm with a stage 1 BSR ppc upgrade. This will cost you £322. Add the BSR stainless 'cat back' exhaust for £301 or get them both (stage 2) for £566! You will get much better throttle response with the exhaust as well as the ppc tune. If its the later model then your looking at 299bhp/427Nm. Check prices at www.bsr.se

If it's an ME7 then going for a remap is always the best way.

Knight Rider
Wednesday 4th November 2009, 10:25
LOL. I believe we've argued our case on this one before.....FWD versus AWD. Verdict...No competition:D. Anyway, that's another story.

Knightrider...you need to start with a basic tune or a 'Stage 0',before you spend big bucks. This will ensure your car is ready for the extra horses and that there are no underlying problems before you tune.

Look for 'stage 0' in search for info - this will cover the coil question you asked earlier.

Assuming your car is a pre 99 model then your looking at 294bhp/430Nm with a stage 1 BSR ppc upgrade. This will cost you £322. Add the BSR stainless 'cat back' exhaust for £301 or get them both (stage 2) for £566! You will get much better throttle response with the exhaust as well as the ppc tune. If its the later model then your looking at 299bhp/427Nm. Check prices at www.bsr.se

If it's an ME7 then going for a remap is always the best way.

Yep its a ME7 - 2001 car. and an auto. is there much difference between BSR and Rica or is it all down to personnal choice??

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 4th November 2009, 12:36
Nope - not much difference on a off the shelf jobby.

I will happily give you a demo of what happens when you waste erm I mean invest 1000s in trying to make the ME7 C70 better. LOL

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 4th November 2009, 12:52
Nope - not much difference on a off the shelf jobby.

I will happily give you a demo of what happens when you waste erm I mean invest 1000s in trying to make the ME7 C70 better. LOL

Just don't show them the 'off roading' bit WD LOL

richiemat
Wednesday 4th November 2009, 13:04

where shall i start????

i think you shouldve pressed the 'turbo boost' button :P

Knight Rider
Wednesday 4th November 2009, 23:03
i think you shouldve pressed the 'turbo boost' button :P

Lmao!!:hilarious