PDA

View Full Version : front strut top mounts

nick
Wednesday 28th October 2009, 13:15
hello all,

the car has a creaking sound that sounds like its coming from the front strut top mounts.

when i push down on the wing, the noise definitely seems to be coming from that area and there is a small amount of upwards movement of the top part of the strut where it passes through the top mount - is this normal ?. the nearside strut is not making a noise but still has some upwards movement (not as much as the o/side)

i assume both sides would need to be replaced - would i need the spring seat and the support plate ?. any ideas of part numbers ? - its a '96 855R

is it a difficult job to do bearing in mind i'm not the most experienced mechanic in the world ?

is it dangerous to run the car like this until i can get some new parts fitted ?

sorry about all the questions !!

thanks for any advice

nick

edit : i should read the forums first :redface:....looks like a garage job as i don't have any spring compressors etc etc - apologies

cameron
Wednesday 28th October 2009, 20:50
Change the complete strut mate, Half an hour to do both sides :D

Rufe
Thursday 29th October 2009, 10:07
it should be ok to drive a short while like it, but not recomended.

I would say to just order two top mount spring seats, part number [8646713] x2, works out at £52.00 plus postage for a pair, including vat from here, for brand new genuine ones. Really speaking its quite rare for the support plates to fail and we rarely sell them.

Simon

cherry1809
Thursday 29th October 2009, 11:11
Could be the lower part, Mine have been banging and creaking around for ages.
Easy job really, I just couldn't get hold of any on the Sunday I had them in bits.

Rufe
Thursday 29th October 2009, 12:10
yes its generally the lower parts that always fail as i was saying. i've changed mine about a year ago on the C70, nothing worng with the upper parts at all.

nick
Thursday 29th October 2009, 14:04
thanks for the replies. turns out both top mount spring seats are shot to pieces and both front shocks are knackered (very little resistance) - a bit more expensive than i first thought but should sort it out (until the next creak/knock !!)

nick

Jaseb77
Thursday 29th October 2009, 16:27
I have always change the upper and lower part.
rubber mount and support plate

if i'd have known it was mainly the rubber bit that fails could have saved some money ( and spent that on maintaining my wifes heap of cr4p Laguna)